Survivalist Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm a great believer in being realistic. I'm not trying to be "Tacti-Cool" and probably wouldn't be getting too far from the property if things got that bad. Not in shape to be charging ahead with a 25 lb vest on. Not so foolish as to believe that we could last very long if the local area became a hot battlefield.

So I have 2 setups. One is a belt clip that holds 2 spare AR mags. The other is a shoulder bag that holds 6 mags, some water, and a few other useful items for getting further from the property.

I'll take the saved money and buy a bit of food.
My vest in Iraq weighed over 50 pounds. I'm older and weaker now. I'm thinking 20 pounds is my sweet spot,

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I have long been a person who wants what I need right at hand. I don't want to have to run upstairs to my bedroom when I need a piece of kit.

I like to have rigs stored in different places to allow for true rapid response to any need. If I get the property I am looking at I am even going to get several small gun lockers to keep in different areas of the house, on different floors, and maybe even on different buildings given that there is numerous cabins and outbuildings on the property I am looking at, so that I have a kit and firearms at diverse response locations since the land is a really good size.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I believe in multiple kits or rigs/bags for different purposes, although I don't have a different vest for every one. No problem as they can be optimized quickly.

I even have extra kits to outfit my family/close allies/neighbors.
As much as I personally like and use a battle belt the most, if you're looking at outfitting more than just yourself, vests are a more universal option. Belt kits (be it a battle belt or even LBE setup with harness) require a little more range for fitment. My son can't use my belts because he's much slimmer. If you're larger than me, you won't be able to borrow one either. There are some adjustments, 4-6" is not going to address kids or smaller statured women, or guys with a prodigious on-board survival storage area.

I do have several chest rigs (similar to vests) that will adjust to fit a much large spectrum of body types. Battle belts work perfectly with me (without or without armor), but they're not good investments for hand-out kit.

ROCK6

·
Registered
977 Posts
So, I’m no operator, but what I have arrived at is having multiple layers. Along side the bed I have a pistol belt with a holster for my nightstand gun with 4 mags.

For the possibility of things beyond the typical home defense scenario I have a battle belt that carries sidearm, light, rifle/pistol mags, water, dump pouch, medical.
Then I have a chest rig that carries admin supplies (compass, batteries, ear pro, etc.), survival knife, additional rifle mags.
Then I have a low-profile “assault pack” that carries additional ammo, food, water, survival gear.
It all fits and works well together, and will likely (and hopefully) never be used beyond training.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Over the years, I've amassed quite the gear collection. I've gravitated towards 4 main configurations, with some overlap, unless you count duty gear.

My belt remains fairly consistent across roles. Handgun (usually some flavor of Glock, a P320, or a 2011), multitool (MUT), ifak (Dark Angel Dark LITE), roll-up dump pouch (EGL Loppy), flashlight (Modlite PLHV2) in a HSGI Taco, spare rifle mag in an ESSTAC Kywi pouch, two spare handgun mags in an ESSTAC Kywi double mag pouch, one spare pistol mag in a Standardco Presley pouch, and a holster (Safariland on a Blackbox Tactical NCP, mounted to a True North MHA, with a tq mounted to it). MHA has a QLS plate mounted to it. Belts are Lead Devil Tactical. I can easily switch between holsters using the QLS, and the ESSTAC pistol mag pouch works for most of my handguns.

For chest rigs, I run a Mayflower R&D (now Velocity Systems) Pusher Gen VI, which has removable mag inserts that allow me to run AR, AK, or .308 mags. If I'm running a precision rifle, I run a Tyr Tactical COMA Sniper chest rig. If I'm running the Tyr rig, I am not running an outer belt.

For a plate carrier, it's a SKD PIG with API-BZ plates and sideplates, and Hoplite Armor shoulder plates. Usually run 4 mags across the front, but can scale that up with triple mag pouches on the side plates.

Helmet is a Team Wendy ballistic, with a remote battery pack/counterweight for my TNVC Sentinels, an ir strobe (S&S Mantis), an admin light (Princeton Tec Charge Pro MPLS), a working light (Surefire Scout on a S&S M-Ax mount), and Ops Core Amp hearing pro, with downleads/ptt's.

I still have a couple ALICE rigs laying around that I never use, then a modernized version I cobbled together.

Assault pack is a SORD Hydration Helmet Carrier, with a couple AR triple mag pouches on the sides. 3-day pack is a Velocity Systems Summit. Big pack is a Kifaru Nomad.

Still have a few ALICE mediums and ALICE larges, and a Mystery Ranch SATL laying around.

For duty gear, I have my shiny "dress belt," then another Lead Devil rig set up identically to what I listed above, with the addition of cuffs, Taser, and OC, only in black. Duty pc is a First Spear First On, with issued Lvl III plates. I have another issued Paraclete pc with Lvl IV plates that I never wear.

Most of my stuff is what I consider semi-modular. As it is setup, it is extremely easy to just switch out mags, unclip a holster and clip in a different one, and go. If I want to run something more obscure (as an example, if I am teaching a class to a group that runs a gun whose mags don't fit in my usual mag pouches), I remove the WTFix straps, and thread different mag pouches on. Location of all gear remains the same.

Rifle setup varies as much, if not more so than gear. I'm lucky that most of my gear is a business writeoff.

·
Semper Fi
11,259 Posts
Well, I consider myself a blend of what you guys call conservative and liberal. My personal policies are a clear mixture of both. I consider myself religious, but also have little issue with "alternative lifestyles"...live and let live I say. I am ardently pro-gun but believe in regulation of such (for example, I am totally fine with background checks, special licenses for full auto and such as long as people can actually get those licenses. Here in Canuckistan, carry is a pipe dream, 20rd rifle mags are more fantasy than Lord of the Rings, and I am more likely to meet Santa than I am to own a concealable firearm). I am all for social programs, but also believe in getting government out of our lives in almost every way. I am all for our socialized medicine, but want reforms. Want more green energy, but also want infrastructure to become a priority. All for elimination of tax loopholes that let the wealthy pay less than their secretary, but also don't want government regulating every nut and bolt. I am university educated, but don't use that as a measure of how smart a person is.

Guess I am a libertarian?

But as such, I far from hate the idea of independent, free thinking people living away from cities. I fully support it. It is, after all, my dream too.
Your beliefs (and I presume voting on those beliefs) is why you will never have a CCW.

The rest of your beliefs are also in direct contradiction of each other. You need to figure out which side of the fence you are on and STAND UP for it.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I mostly have ammo boxes of filled magazines .We aren't going anywhere .
Yep, in various locations. And like the guns themselves, I verify that each and every mag functions perfectly (when it counts....while shooting!) before deploying it to the arsenal.

My various kits have mags loaded with ammo specific to the kit, including FMJs, subsonics where applicable, ammo with.....enhanced penetration, long range ammo, and some mags with the very best/most lethal SD rounds. Specialty mags are color coded via stripes/type/finish.

·
Space Force Recruit
3 sticks of butter and a can of Cheez-Whiz
2,010 Posts
Your beliefs (and I presume voting on those beliefs) is why you will never have a CCW.

The rest of your beliefs are also in direct contradiction of each other. You need to figure out which side of the fence you are on and STAND UP for it.

I think the best part is how he says he agrees with government restrictions on basic human rights and then says he's a Libertarian lol.

Anyways to not get off topic:

I have close to 2 dozen chest rigs from various manufacturers and I have to say the LBX Assault chest rig is probably my favorite cause I can mostly set it up how I want. I've worn it for periods up to 48hrs and I never felt overburdened or off balance but that could just be attributed to how I have it set up. I have also never experienced any back pain from it but again, it could just be because of how I balanced it. It also works well while wearing a backpack with the bladder but it's not as comfortable as without. I have like 4 front placards for it, 2 for AR magazines, 1 for 5.56/5.45 AK magazines and one for 7.62x39 AK magazines.

It's set up like this:

FRONT:
Left side -> Radio -> Magazines/placard (4-8x AR-15, 3x AK types) -> Radio pouch for other stuff that's not a radio (largely situation dependent, smoke grenades, spare water bottle, etc.) -> Right side

BACK: Hydration back panel with 70 oz bladder inside.

Only the placards get changed out.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My PC has a 100oz bladder and 2 few collapsible water bottles. I like to think between my PC and belt I have everything covered. There is enough modularity to carry different magazines. and holsters without changing anything else.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My approach is pretty simple. I use a tiered or layered system that starts with a "slick" plate carrier, chest rig, battle belt and patrol pack. The slick is thinner and lighter than a molle version which enables its use under jackets or flannel shirts where being obviously up armored may not be wanted. Say in a vehicle. Use the chest rig over the slick when you need to and take it off when you dont. Say when in that same car or while performing tasks that dont require you to have your main line gear ON you but close at hand. If recce tasks are in order you can dump the slick and just run the chest rig , battle belt and patrol pack. Maybe you just run the battle belt with your 1st line sustainment gear on it and have your rifle near by.. Just some thoughts.. as a side note I prefer mobility to armor. YES I own plates, a couple sets both lvl 3 and 4 but im not excited to haul them around all day.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts

CCW was decided, on a Federal level, some time around when I was born if I recall correct.

As were a whole bunch of stuff related to what sorts of firearms we can have. Heck, I lost the right to carry short barreled pistols before I had the right to vote.

I am a member and donor to most of the gun rights, gun defense, and hunting rights groups in Canada and in my province.

I vote every election (local, Provincial, and Federal).

I have been a member of a gun range in every city I have lived in since my twenties.

I have quit jobs over the company's or owners political policies.

I went out an protested everything from the MAI to the gun registry.

What about my beliefs runs contrary to CCW?

Reactions: A.J.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I think the best part is how he says he agrees with government restrictions on basic human rights and then says he's a Libertarian lol.
Exactly which basic human rights do you feel I'm ok with restricting? I mean, even in the US not everyone can own full auto and stuff like that... And I am fine with making sure convicted felons or people with violent mental health issues cannot legally buy guns and such...

And to be specific, I said I GUESS I'm libertarian....mostly because that falls closest to what I feel. I never said I AM one, because there is a whole bunch of stuff in their ideas I don't agree with either.

But I am curious:

Exactly what restrictions on basic human rights do you feel I support?

I'm not being sarcastic; I honestly want to know....

·
Registered
803 Posts
Exactly which basic human rights do you feel I'm ok with restricting? I mean, even in the US not everyone can own full auto and stuff like that... And I am fine with making sure convicted felons or people with violent mental health issues cannot legally buy guns and such...

And to be specific, I said I GUESS I'm libertarian....mostly because that falls closest to what I feel. I never said I AM one, because there is a whole bunch of stuff in their ideas I don't agree with either.

But I am curious:

Exactly what restrictions on basic human rights do you feel I support?

I'm not being sarcastic; I honestly want to know....
So who determines what who has violent mental health issues mental health issues would revoke a persons right to own firearms? A criminal isn't a criminal until they commit a crime. Anyone that can lawfully own a firearm in the US can lawfully own a full auto firearms. not sure what your trying to say? kind of hard to understand what a right is when you don't have any in Canukistan.

Rights aren't given and taken away privilege's are. It is possible for convicted felons to rights restored as well. Here the founders understood basic human rights and enshrined them in our constitution. Those rights were not given to use by our govt. founders recognize that as well, Canukistan not so much.

·
Registered
401 Posts
CCW was decided, on a Federal level, some time around when I was born if I recall correct.

As were a whole bunch of stuff related to what sorts of firearms we can have. Heck, I lost the right to carry short barreled pistols before I had the right to vote.

I am a member and donor to most of the gun rights, gun defense, and hunting rights groups in Canada and in my province.

I have been a member of a gun range in every city I have lived in since my twenties.

Frankly, you have done more for gun rights than I have.

·
Semper Fi
11,259 Posts

Your post I replied to showed that you had no real idea of "rights". as you were ok with the .gov putting restrictions on them as if they were privileges that .gov granted you.

Which is understandable, as it's in your genetics from being SUBJECTS of the Crown for hundreds of years. When America was fighting to throw off the yoke, Canadians were fighting in support of that yoke.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts