Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was moved to revisit to the subject of personal camouflage when I stumbled onto the MultiCam web site the other day. MultiCam is, in my never so humble opinion, such a strong improvement over the US Army's current (ACU) camouflage uniform that it's blasted its way through the layers of Pentagon inertia and bureaucracy to force its adoption for troops on the ground in Afghanistan. (Quote) "However, it has been newly commissioned in 2010 and will be replacing the UCP pattern over time for use by US Army Units serving in Afghanistan."

MultiCam is such an improvement over the Universal Camouflage Pattern (Ayup it's the same ACU) that, if the bean counters can see their way clear to stop diverting millions of taxpayer dollars to the manufacturers of ACU's we could/would/should see MultiCam on our military here in the states soon.

It'll be a big improvement since the so called "Universal Camouflage Pattern" which is supposed to blend in with everything in general in fact blends in with nothing in particular which is why MultiCam is replacing the ACU's in the theater of operations where bullets are actually flying.

I went out and bought two full sets of MultiCam then took some pictures.

My wife and I went out into the Southwestern desert this morning to take some pictures of me decked out in Atlanco (Tru-Spec brand name) MultiCam from boonie hat to jacket and pants. (Propper has also licensed MultiCam's pattern and makes a slightly different, in terms of cut not pattern, set of BDU's.)

We took about 86 pictures: two each of me with my head down behind the MultiCam bonnie hat to hide my un-camouflaged face from the camera and two each of me in the exact same position looking at the camera so viewers could see my face.

Relax; I'm only going to show you six of the best pictures here. Three in which it will be hard to spot me and three of me in the same spot but with my face showing so you'll know where to look when you go back to look at the first picture again.

(Click or double click on the pictures to enlarge them.)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1Kb76Aafl...AFQ/Hwd-v_YgJIk/s1600/MultiCam_Test_1+055.jpg

Keep in mind that although your viewing is hampered by having to look at an image on a computer screen you also have the advantage of knowing there's a person in the picture so eventually you'll spot me because you know to keep looking. Now imagine you're walking along a trail with no idea where to look. Ayup! You could easily walk right by a whole platoon, wearing MultiCam, hiding in the bushes or even in knee high grass.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1Kb76Aafl...AFY/WyKqHsWT-qY/s1600/MultiCam_Test_1+056.jpg

Although it's hard to judge from the images, all pictures were taken from within pistol shot range, 50 yards, (which amounts to close range for a rifle) and a few well within easy pistol range.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1Kb76Aafl...AFg/MytxtfXz2jg/s1600/MultiCam_Test_1+064.jpg

Also when in sunlight black (as in black rifles) tends to stand out against a lighter background.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1Kb76Aafl...AFo/OodYn7EYdj4/s1600/MultiCam_Test_1+065.jpg

I know of no camouflage that can help you remain hidden when you're backlit in an open area. The contrast between the lighter sunlit area and the shaded side of you creates an instant silhouette.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1Kb76Aafl...AFw/gO-s106gRtA/s1600/MultiCam_Test_1+067.jpg

As with all camouflage just about everything's easier to hide in shadow so I'm not including the pictures of me in shadows since I'm invisible in them even to me and I know where I was standing when the picture was taken. Suffice to say if you're forced to hide wearing non-camouflage clothing (hopefully browns, grays or dark tans) shadows are a good place to do it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1Kb76Aafl...AF4/YBzcnRA5-9c/s1600/MultiCam_Test_1+069.jpg

MultiCam has a web site with a gallery of pictures showing MultiCam at work. Click on the small images at the bottom of the page to enlarge them. EACH of the images has at least one person wearing MultiCam in it. (Click on the arrows at the ends to see more pictures.) Sometimes they are so nearly invisible you'll swear there's no one there, but there is, you just have to stare at the picture for a few minutes to see them, but they're there. Also note the contrast when the MultiCam wearer is near a person wearing Woodland camouflage.

http://www.multicampattern.com/gallery

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amazing! How much was all that?
You can figure on spending about $60 to $70 apiece for jacket (shirt) & pants plus $20 for a real mil-spec boonie hat. Cheap considering the pants being issued to troops over in Afghanistan have built in knee pads and a bunch of other mil-spec stuff and cost the government over $300.

"When seconds mean life or death the police are only minutes away."
-- John Connor

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,112 Posts
Interesting that those pictures were taken in my old stomping grounds. I recognized the area instantly from the first picture and it was verified by the third.

Don't be too impressed by the first few pictures. It's not hard to blend in that that particular environment. I know. I used to do it all the time. But the pics at the MultiCam gallery give a more realistic view of it's capabilities.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The problem is, you're hiding behind bushes or tall grass in all of these pictures. If that's the case, even just a khaki shirt would do a good job of covering you up. I'd be a lot more impressed if you were standing out in the open in the pics and it were still hard to find you.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The multicam is no joke. Its not perfect but nothing can be. If its good all around it great at nothing. I've used it in California on the border and in the swamps of NC. Its well suited for your arid and high deserts but only decent in the really green jungle-ish stuff. I think the green is on the light side. I wash mine as little as possible. They have darkened up a big and the light areas have pretty much turned gray. They work a bit better. All around this is a huge step forward. The army acute was good for nothing except hiding on old ladies couches. Some know what I mean.

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is, you're hiding behind bushes or tall grass in all of these pictures. If that's the case, even just a khaki shirt would do a good job of covering you up. I'd be a lot more impressed if you were standing out in the open in the pics and it were still hard to find you.
Try going to their site they've got a lot like that:

http://www.multicampattern.com/gallery

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what brand?
As I said in the original post, in the pictures I'm wearing Atlanco (Tru-Spec brand) but Propper makes them too.

The Tru-Spec shirts have slant upper pockets with Velcro closures (no lower pockets) for wearing under combat gear. The Propper shirts have more traditional pockets (upper and lower) with button flaps.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My Militia group has been over this issue at length.. Multicam is an excellent pattern, but like said above.. it works well in some areas, and not so well in others... overall our units are using woodland digital (aka marpat) but not the marine issue uniforms with the seal.

In a more wooded area, multicam does actually stick out... where as the marpat blends in really well...

ultimately it is going to come down to you own AO... for desert dave, I dont think you could do any better then the multicam!

-MadMike

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...ultimately it is going to come down to you own AO... -MadMike
Back when I was running my surplus store a group of Border Patrol agents, wanting to order some MARPAT, came to me shortly after the USMC MARPAT camouflage pattern came out. They showed me a full color photo of some Border Patrol agents from a different district standing in front of some large mesquite bushes while wearing USMC Woodland MARPET except for their hands and faces the agents were very hard to see. If they'd been wearing gloves and a little camo grease paint on their smiling faces they would have been virtually invisible!

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
Would you, could you, post a link(s) where you purchased yours.
I like multicam, just couldn't find full gear when I was buying camo.
Thanks

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would you, could you, post a link(s) where you purchased yours.
I like multicam, just couldn't find full gear when I was buying camo.
Thanks
I bought mine at Jax Mercantile in Fort Collins, CO. However they have a web site:
http://www.jaxmercantile.com/home.php?cat=36

They had the MultiCam Boonie hats at the store too, but they don't show up on the web site. You might want to give them a call:
http://www.jaxmercantile.com/help.php?section=contactus&mode=update

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
LOL,I love this pic. You're a cool dude.

Reactions: DesertDave

·
Registered
687 Posts
I happen to be wearing a set multicam BDU's as I type this, I have not found a camo pattern which is more effective over a range of terrain and seasons. Most of the hunting patterns, and the old woodland pattern, are to dark for open areas.

I read an article awhile back about multicam, it was actually developed before the ACU pattern, and the natick soldier research station recomended it over the acu pattern when the army was looking for a new pattern/ uniform. basically the marine corp had just adopted a digital pattern, and acu is digital to, multicam isn't, so they went with ACU.

I asked a friend who did 2 tours in Iraq, just what the ACU was supposed to blend in with, he said the army says it blends in anywhere, and that it actually blends in pretty well with urban environments, in northern iraq, but nowhere else has he found.

My friend, and prepping buddy, also wears multicam. when we are hunting we watch each other as we move around hunting. He says that at a distance it's hard to see me even when I am moving, and if I stop, he will lose me if he blinks. He says he actually looks for my rifle to find me. Time for some spray paint.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts