Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Multicam vs ACU, Which is the better camo for a FLC (fighting load carrier) vest to be used in the woods.

We have dense under brush mixed with pine, sweet gum and oak trees.

I bought a FLC vest in woodland camo along with an AR-15 magazine. The package is on its way and supposed to be here next week.

While I am buying stuff why not go with something a little more modern.

Between multicam and acu which is best suited for forest?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Multicam is questionable in really heavy green woods.....something more like the USMC Digital woodland or the Canadian CADPAT ( the original digital camo pattern) are far better in that dark, heavy woodland.....

That said, either the Marine's MARPAT or ATPAT or even the Multicam would be far batter in your Texas type foliage....

ACU ( Army Combat Uniform ) is actually a design of the UNIFORM ( common error ), the pattern used is the UCP or Universal Camouflage Pattern....

and to be honest it is likely THE single worst camo pattern / colouration in the world..it certainly doesn;t blend into ANY woodland or fields anywhere....it may have some use in a gravel pit or urban concrete A.O.

The choices are yours alone Kev. but even though the UCP is everywhere and easily purchased as the US Army is / has dropped it and a huge amount of accessories and variations exist.....the pattern ( colour) itself is utterly useless in any woods environments..

for reference yourself, as opposed to taking peoples "word" for it...you tube has lots of videos of US soldiers wearing the UCP, ACU's out on exercises etc.......they are VERY visible...

NOW, I have heard that people have had GREAT success DYING the standard UCP ACU's with green clothing dyes and the result seems to be a pretty good variation.....

however...that seems to work for the clothing, and not so much for the heavy nylon type material in vests and gear.....

good luck mate...

·
Veteran 11BC2/EOD
2,020 Posts
Or you could buy ACU stuff for pennies on the dollar and spray paint it with flat tan and OD

I have 8 full sets of ACU redone in FilthyFlage ( my name for it) and it works great. Looks like warmed over hell but the average price for each set is $10-15 including all the pouches

There is a rush to dump all the ACU so if you see it used get out the shake and shoot.

And it looks like its been dragged down a dirt road 100 miles, which is the point behind camo

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
From personal experience, OD green or Coyote then get your environment on it, with a few hits of paint.

It's easier to go light to dark than dark to light with camo.

That being said, multicam is better by itself, but if you find a steal on ACU(which ain't too hard, everyone hates it) you can dye it with brown dye to make it much, much better. Green dye will make it look like CADPAT btw, which works well in greenery.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,041 Posts
ACU ( Army Combat Uniform ) is actually a design of the UNIFORM ( common error ), the pattern used is the UCP or Universal Camouflage Pattern....

and to be honest it is likely THE single worst camo pattern / colouration in the world..it certainly doesn;t blend into ANY woodland or fields anywhere....it may have some use in a gravel pit or urban concrete A.O.
100% correct. The only place it blends in well is gravel pit areas. It doesn't blend in well or at all with common fighting areas like jungle, desert, forest, grassland, or even darkness, since it almost "glows" light colored in the dark. It's just a terrible pattern.

I served in the Army during the UCP/ACU days. I hated the camo pattern with a passion. Absolutely hated it. It is/was a joke. I would not purposefully purchase that pattern for anything unless the cost savings was enormous and I planned on dying it inexpensively.

I don't even really like the digital patterns much at all, even the well-done ones like the Marines desert and jungle. It's decent, but I much prefer more organically looking patterns like the old BDU and DCU patterns. There was nothing wrong with those. Don't get me started on how ****ed I am about the government tens of billions of dollars wasted on the transition to ACU, when we had perfectly excellent DCU and BDU patterns and uniforms.

I've considered dying the 10 ACU uniforms I have for more practical use.

If I were buying now, I'd go with BDU, DCU, multicam, some hunting camos, and a variety of similar organic looking patterns depending on your environment. My backup choices would be the MARPAT Marine Corp digital jungle and desert camo.

·
Registered
279 Posts
From personal experience, OD green or Coyote then get your environment on it, with a few hits of paint.

It's easier to go light to dark than dark to light with camo.

That being said, multicam is better by itself, but if you find a steal on ACU(which ain't too hard, everyone hates it) you can dye it with brown dye to make it much, much better. Green dye will make it look like CADPAT btw, which works well in greenery.
Dying the ACU's green will make them look like ACU's dyed green....lol

They are nowhere close to being as effective as the CADPAT...the CADPAT has two variations of green, a medium brown and black....

that said...I simply do not understand WHY the US Army simply didn;t keep the "Print" of the ACU's and simply change the colouration?....

reprinting the same pattern in different colours would have improved it 100%...and been able to do exactly as the Marines did.....make a colourized version of the same print for "desert" ops.....simple, easy and it;s done....

This whole "study and then bit and piece convert" the whole US Army into Cryer Multicam seems a huge waste and extra cost.....they are paying out the nose for the "rights" to use Multicam....for a pattern that STILL is NOT as effective as many others in woodland areas or jungle....

Even the Brits where smart enough to recognize that and payed to have their own "version" of Multicam made with far more greens, less "whites" and better / longer shape blotches.....over all, the British MTP ( Multi Terrain Pattern) is superior to regular Multicam..

Funny, it was sort of "signature" of SF types to use the Multicam....now EVERY SWAT / Tactical team over the entire Continent seem,s to use it..as well as many many other Nations....Denmark for example has recently dumped their VERY effective three colour Flectarn camo and taken up Multicam...Canada's CSOR and JTF2 use it to "differentiate" from the rest of the Canadian Military, and in the "sandbox's"..way way to many Nations are using it...and issues will arise from TOO many nations using the same camo....ID'ing "friends and potential foes" will be far harder...
and domestically, as was mentioned...Multicam is the "Flavour d' jour" of the Militias, SWAT teams, the US Army..and add into that the millions of airsofter/paintball / mall ninjas that have and wear it.....now WHY would anyone want to even run a remote risk of being mistaken for any of the above...especially as it is only of perhaps Middling / medium effectiveness...

·
Registered
279 Posts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL3khfSiedNsg0jWLjaxxU0beGSCzZJbAa&v=ckLNN_3eOBY this guy test all kinds of patterns give him a watch , you will kinda see there effectiveness .
to right,

Brent knows his stuff....he is IN Texas and does all his "testing" in Texas bush and multiple seasons.......

A Marine with some time in the "scrub", he knows what he is talking about....

worth the watch for sure.....keep in mind, that he is ONLY trying to show the effectiveness of the actual patterns, not going all out in regards to natural scrim and all aspects of cam and concealment......

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
All I can say is that here in Virginia, when I used to play paintball, the acu would stand out like a sore thumb vs marpat or even woodland.

·
Trail Watcher
543 Posts
Plain old OD green and tan still work well.
I'm with Sue Doh Myn on this. OD, tan and coyote seem to work best for me throughout every season except winter. IMO, mixing OD pouches onto a coyote carrier (or vice versa) just adds to the blending capability.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Multicam from your choices Kev, as a hunter in western PA I would have to choose it around here to blend in. ACU is bright in our woods.
I tend to like the look of the Marine MARPAT for my next one if I can find it. I would like to get a M-65 or overcoat in it. To be honest though I have a Steel Defender/Condor Plate carrier in OD green, a PIG plate carrier in Coyote tan, and a chest rig in Coyote tan. Get what you like, You could always paint them or brush them up if need be.When I shoot in cold weather I usually have a multicam M65 underneath or I now have a 511 tactical jacket in black to put over them for concealment.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts