Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A pound of mullein was easy and pretty cheap to get ... thank you Amazon...

Does anyone know how much to use, what temp. water and how long to steep?

I reat 15 minutes in one place, and assume its boiling?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
44 Posts
Add 1 tbsp. of dried mullein leaves to the steeping ball. Place in coffee cup. Pour boiling water into the cup and through the ball to release the properties of the mullein. Allow to steep for 10 minutes. Remove steeping ball and drink.

Pour a cup of boiling water over the dried mullein flowers and/or leaves and let it steep for 10 – 15 minutes. Strain the liquid through a cheesecloth or a coffee filter to remove the plant’s tiny hairs, as they may irritate the throat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have dried leaves, put a handful in an 8oz cup of water, boil it, and let it steep for 15 to 30 minutes. Remember to remove the leaves when you consume the tea. I usually drink mine with lemon, I wouldn't recommend honey as at high temperatures, the properties of honey are lost.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,828 Posts
It grows wild as a weed around here. I harvest some every year. We always have friends who want some, but they can never seem to remember to harvest it when it is coming up.

It treats all lung and bronchial ailments.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,594 Posts

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all. Spouse and kid have allergies and get congested easily. A tea that would help was worth trying for me.

Who knew some of you had huge crops of it? Lucky people.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,828 Posts
I thought it was for chronic pain but that's good news, too! Do you drink it every day? What symptoms has it alleviated for you? Have you been able to reduce or eliminate any Rx because of it?
Most people who I know that use it, will smoke it.

I have a friend whose son has asthma. They have a tiny corncob pipe loaded with it, and it alleviates the symptoms as fast as a prescription inhaler.

I have used it to help with flu symptoms [congestion].

I see it commonly used for lung infections.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,828 Posts
Thank you all. Spouse and kid have allergies and get congested easily. A tea that would help was worth trying for me.

Who knew some of you had huge crops of it? Lucky people.
I find it growing alongside my driveway and around the perimeter of my pig pasture.

The plant is a biennial. During its first year it puts out huge leaves that look like tobacco and they are fuzzy in texture. In the second and third years, the plant will put up a central stalk that flowers and makes seed.

I might have 6 or 8 plants that I am aware of.

I only harvest the huge leaves, and no more than half of the leaves [as I do not wish to harm any of the plants].

That gives two paper grocery bags full when it is dried, each year.

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, I got some and tried my first cup.

It tastes like generic herbal tea - nothing to complain about or celebrate. It was a slow moving thing, but twenty minutes later, my nose was letting me take full breaths.

I'm trying a second cup today, after I wake up. If it happens again, I'm a happy person.

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it works. You need something in your stomach though, it is not chamomile! A cracker worked well enough. I'm enjoying my nose working well.

·
Banned
1,736 Posts
OK, my interest is peeked. I have mulleins growing everywhere! They have been a total nuisance especially when they pop up in my leach field so I have to dig them out before the root systems mess up my leach field.

So, here's the question. If I want to harvest some and make some tea, what parts of the plant to you harvest. I've heard both leaves and flowers on this thread.

How you you prepare what you harvest? Dehydrate, sun dry, oven? What's the process?

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,828 Posts
OK, my interest is peeked. I have mulleins growing everywhere! They have been a total nuisance especially when they pop up in my leach field so I have to dig them out before the root systems mess up my leach field.

So, here's the question. If I want to harvest some and make some tea, what parts of the plant to you harvest. I've heard both leaves and flowers on this thread.

How you you prepare what you harvest? Dehydrate, sun dry, oven? What's the process?
I have only been harvesting the leaves.

I have a 10-tray dehydrator that I use.

Then I store them in brown paper grocery bags. Ot crumpled up in a 1/2 gallon mason jar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts