Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most people here probably don't watch MTV but there was an interesting episode of True Life on tonight. Here is a trailer for it on youtube, the full episode isn't available for download yet but might be next month.

It was pretty interesting watching them actually live without anything modern, after a month or two their tents were taken away and they lived in wigwams they made and their matches were taken away and replaced by bowdrills.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Interesting exercise. Profound I'm sure. There'd have to be no infrastructure and a fairly low population for that to happen long term. Hard to imagine that senario with a pristine wilderness intact, game, fish and all. I'd expect black helicopters or a drone checking us out within 2 months with cuffs shortly to follow.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Yeah, bad news, the so called reality shows, all of them are scripted and heavily supervised. You aren't really off grid if there is a camera crew and a medic within shouting distance.
When they turn the cameras off the participants head to their trailers and do what ever they do in their trailers.
Want some better reality? Google Chris Nyerges.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Roadkill or no, it would be a pretty tough time of it. I'm not ready for that. Not yet.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The show was interesting, they made a bucket out of tanned deer hide and used it to carry water and also for hot rock cooking. They all learned to tan hides and made cord out deer hide also. Everyone started out using filters then progressed to just drinking straight out of the lake, they took baths in the lake and used no soap, just rubbed sand on themselves. They also soaked their clothes in the lake for a couple days to clean them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didnt hear them say anything about hunting for food, aside from the small animal traps, what are they teaching as far as game harvesting? I see a good amount of primitive living skills there, but are they learning things like bow building or hunting skills? They could seriously maximize their food stores if each member of the clan was equiped with a self bow.:thumb:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha I only saw them eat deer roadkill, the rest of their meat consisted of clams and fish from the lake and small animals that they trapped. I am not sure what else they do though as the show really only showed bits of their first couple months. Things might progress more as you get deeper into the lifestyle.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I am way too clean of a person for that lifestyle. I can't tell you how many cases of bacterial wipes I have stocked up in the event I have no more running water and must use rain water or hoof it down to the creek. Even when I was in the military on those 3 day bivouacs, I'd use those little towelettes in MRE's to keep myself clean.
Bad hygiene will do you in quicker than anything (females in particular know this!). You are leaving yourself open for Lord knows what kind of diseases.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts