Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gentlemen,

For those that had not heard, our very own @MTShawn recently received news that his oldest son Michael was diagnosed with Sarcoma that started in the thigh and has now spread to his lungs.
Like the good father he is, Shawn has made helping Michael and his family get through this difficult time his number one priority.

While the insurance will likely cover most of the actual hospital bills, the travel, lodging, incidentals, and lost time at work are all going to quickly take a financial toll on even the most prepared.
Like many of us, Shawn is hesitant to ask for help so I am posting this request on his behalf.

There is a gofundme set up if you are able to make a donation, if you don't have money to spare, send a prayer up asking the Creator to watch over Shawn and Michael and their family and comfort them in their time of struggle.

If you have been around the boards a while, you know that Shawn is not only our resident Administrator fixing everyone's accounts, but his contributions to the boards can be found in just about every subject area we have listed.

He is a genuine friend and now he is in need of our assistance.

Please help if you are able.

Thank you

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
I wish I had the money to help...really do. I have had far to many friends and relatives lost to cancer and would personally punch it in the face if I could.

My best wishes and my ardent prayers for his son, him, and his family.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I now have donated to two Go Fund Pages due to this board. I usually don't as I feel most are Scams, I can tell you that MTShawn really needs Prayers and Support as Cancer doesn't care who you are.
Exact same here, this is only the second fund I've donated to and only becasue this is a trusted community with genuine good people here.
And bump, the fund isn't even half way to it's small goal of $15k, which doesn't go far anymore so let's blast way past that mark.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
3 time cancer survivor myself, lost my wife(31 years old), both grandpas, both grandmas, one aunt and many others in my family that have survived. So yeah, I have some experience. The hospital, at least mine did, has grants for you to use. Some are for gas, some are for lodging, but what you need is a patient advocate. They will be the one that will help do all those things. They also can help with insurance and anything that comes up. You can ask for one and if you don’t like them don’t use them. I donated some money and prayers but it’s never enough.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
3 time cancer survivor myself, lost my wife(31 years old), both grandpas, both grandmas, one aunt and many others in my family that have survived. So yeah, I have some experience. The hospital, at least mine did, has grants for you to use. Some are for gas, some are for lodging, but what you need is a patient advocate. They will be the one that will help do all those things. They also can help with insurance and anything that comes up. You can ask for one and if you don’t like them don’t use them. I donated some money and prayers but it’s never enough.
Also ask your insurance company for a case manager. My wife knew enough being in the medical field to ask for one,
they can be invaluable with handling billing errors and proper patient care. Start a file and take notes on everything.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,779 Posts
Did what I could, wish I could do more but at least I can buy you lunch at the hospital. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts