Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Not very good quality IMHO,i had the Mtec extreem and the locking mechenism wore out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've seen these questions come up over and over again on this site and others. Remember the rule...you get what you pay for. If you look at a knife and it only costs $4.00, figure you are getting a $4.00 knife, not a $200+ knife. If you are okay with that (and acceptable to the fact that the knife may come apart, fail catostrophically and injure you, fail when your life depends on it, etc...) then go ahead and buy it. If you are not okay with all of that, then don't, save your money and buy something very well made and be happy with a purchase that will serve you well for a good long time if not your entire life.

--Wintermute

·
V
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen these questions come up over and over again on this site and others. Remember the rule...you get what you pay for. If you look at a knife and it only costs $4.00, figure you are getting a $4.00 knife, not a $200+ knife. If you are okay with that (and acceptable to the fact that the knife may come apart, fail catostrophically and injure you, fail when your life depends on it, etc...) then go ahead and buy it. If you are not okay with all of that, then don't, save your money and buy something very well made and be happy with a purchase that will serve you well for a good long time if not your entire life.

--Wintermute
LOL eerrrmm yes I'm aware of the dangers :taped: I wonderd if I'd be getting a bargin such as you buy a £10 Mora and you get alot more than a £10 knife (rule number1 out the window) :D:, Ive seen expensive knives I wouldnt take into the bush/woods to do a job, because I dont like the look of them and wouldnt trust em :eek: I just wondered about this companies rep. Ive taken a £4 paring knife into the woods before now and its performed well in all the tasks I applied it too ( I was trying to prove a poinit to someone and I succeeded):upsidedown:

Thanks sticks although this is/was a fixed blade if they cant get something like the locking mechanism right on a lock knife I'll steer clear.:thumb:

·
Registered
350 Posts
LOL eerrrmm yes I'm aware of the dangers :taped: I wonderd if I'd be getting a bargin such as you buy a £10 Mora and you get alot more than a £10 knife (rule number1 out the window) :D:, Ive seen expensive knives I wouldnt take into the bush/woods to do a job, because I dont like the look of them and wouldnt trust em :eek: I just wondered about this companies rep. Ive taken a £4 paring knife into the woods before now and its performed well in all the tasks I applied it too ( I was trying to prove a poinit to someone and I succeeded):upsidedown:

Thanks sticks although this is/was a fixed blade if they cant get something like the locking mechanism right on a lock knife I'll steer clear.:thumb:
Looking at the design on the Mora, how thin the tang is, the handle materials used, the qualities of the grinds, and many other aspects of the knife, I would say you are getting exactly a £10 knife with the manufacturer getting their cut of the profit. Expensive knives...well, you can buy a lot of "mall ninja" knives that cost a bunch but are probably less in material and craftsmanship than the Mora. But a nice high quality knife, say a SOG Government Model or a RAT Cutlery RC-6, or something similar, you are getting what you pay for. These are solid, full tang (either exposed or hidden) knives made of nice steel with a good temper, well designed blades and handles, and good grinds with nice well formed edges. These types of knives probably provide a lower profit margin than the Moras even if they are a higher profit value per knife.

--Wintermute

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hmm..I cannot totally agree with you Wintermute. Cheap knives when well selected could be much more value for money than SOG or RAT. For Example here in Finland RAT3 cost 129 EUR and MORA 3 EUR. I definitely think that there´s much more knife in price on mora than rat then! Mora is thinner and not full tang like RAT, but it have good steel & grind and it definitely cuts!
Just have to remember that knives are made to cut and prybars to pry. If I go to woods and I have for example 2 Moras which are about same weight than one RAT3, do you think that I´m not well equipped for any bushcraft & survival situation?
And if I want to do business by selling knives which one have more profit, hmm....:D:

·
V
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WM I can see what you mean BUT I'll have to respectfully disagree as I know there are knives out there that give the same or more for the ££ or $$ spent. SOG and RAT both have excellent reputations which is one reason why I steer clear, the knives they make will perform every bit as well as they say they will, BUT your buying the name as much as anything else, which is why I asked about Mtech brand experience and review.

I used the Mora as one example knives that are made and designed to be work horses and dont cost a weeks wage or more. My latest Khukri being another prime example a workhorse at a good price, Yes Ive had to make a modification to the handle, if I'm honest I havent yet found a knife I'm 100% happy with as it comes so its no biggie, I think I'd have to have one specially made for that and thats money I dont have. :thumb:

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

--Wintermute
Agree. Most people who are selling quality items on Ebay are looking to make a profit or to at least break even if they can. That's the rule of thumb. However, I was able to buy a high quality, pre-1964 wooden stock for my Winchester .270 and a very low bid price. Good deals come around from time to time.

I don't own an Mtech and can't vouch for quality. I've been to several gun and knife shows and have never seen their products for sale.

Reactions: AncientBrit

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Hmm..I cannot totally agree with you Wintermute. Cheap knives when well selected could be much more value for money than SOG or RAT. For Example here in Finland RAT3 cost 129 EUR and MORA 3 EUR. I definitely think that there´s much more knife in price on mora than rat then! Mora is thinner and not full tang like RAT, but it have good steel & grind and it definitely cuts!
Just have to remember that knives are made to cut and prybars to pry. If I go to woods and I have for example 2 Moras which are about same weight than one RAT3, do you think that I´m not well equipped for any bushcraft & survival situation?
And if I want to do business by selling knives which one have more profit, hmm....:D:
3 eur thats about £2 bargain.:thumb:

You carn't go wrong with a mora for that price you get very good steel and sharp as.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Before buying a Mora, I would buy a used full tang steak knife from a thrift store (probably for the same cost as a Mora). The tang on the Mora is barely 1/16th of an inch wide...this is pitiful for a utility knife. If you feel that the Mora has a good grind, I would have to argue that you have never seen a good grind, they are uneven, off center, and have many other issues. It is fine if you do not feel like spending the money on a RAT or a SOG, or any one of the many other brands which provide solid built knives, however, I would hardly move towards a knife which has a high possibility of breaking off in your hand.

As for which one would have more profit, I would bet that Mora has a much higher profit margin and probably a much higher overall profit than SOG or RAT hands down. They sell a much higher quantity of knives at a much lower cost of production per unit. If I were to look at it from a business model standpoint, I would have to say that Mora has a much more profitable and sustainable business model, however, that doesn't mean I would bet my life on their product...just that I would invest in them for profit instead of investing in a company such as SOG.

--Wintermute

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Before buying a Mora, I would buy a used full tang steak knife from a thrift store (probably for the same cost as a Mora). The tang on the Mora is barely 1/16th of an inch wide...this is pitiful for a utility knife. If you feel that the Mora has a good grind, I would have to argue that you have never seen a good grind, they are uneven, off center, and have many other issues. It is fine if you do not feel like spending the money on a RAT or a SOG, or any one of the many other brands which provide solid built knives, however, I would hardly move towards a knife which has a high possibility of breaking off in your hand.

As for which one would have more profit, I would bet that Mora has a much higher profit margin and probably a much higher overall profit than SOG or RAT hands down. They sell a much higher quantity of knives at a much lower cost of production per unit. If I were to look at it from a business model standpoint, I would have to say that Mora has a much more profitable and sustainable business model, however, that doesn't mean I would bet my life on their product...just that I would invest in them for profit instead of investing in a company such as SOG.

--Wintermute
Though a Mora would not be my first or even second choice for a field knife I probably have a higher opinion of them than you do, Winter. I have one only because I collect knives. I do happen to like the grind on mine and it does seem to be very even and sharp but I agree fully that the tang is far too wimpy to put my life in its hands (so to speak). Overall, I believe that you get more than what you pay for relatively speaking. It would be fine for small camp chores but only light duty stuff.

I do like RAT knives as well as Tops knives. I'm also a big fan of Bark River knives (an offshoot of Marbles).

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I don't yet own a Mora but I aim to get a few because as you say for the money they are excellent knives.

I do own a RAT Cutlery RC-3, it arrived this morning:). It's certainly not a pry bar, as it must be around 3mm thick, about the same thickness as a Mora?

Can I do anything with it that I couldn't do with a Mora? Probably not.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't yet own a Mora but I aim to get a few because as you say for the money they are excellent knives.

I do own a RAT Cutlery RC-3, it arrived this morning:). It's certainly not a pry bar, as it must be around 3mm thick, about the same thickness as a Mora?

Can I do anything with it that I couldn't do with a Mora? Probably not.
The RAT RC-3 is 0.125" (1/8") thick. The Mora is 0.075" thick. You can do a hell of a lot with an RC-3 that you cannot do with a Mora.

--Wintermute

·
Registered
200 Posts
very cheap remakes i own one of there hunting knives,surpriseingly its still together because i was affraid i was gonna break it. and when i did the blade chiped. so ya its a piece of sh!t

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have used Mora knives around 25 years for many kind of tasks from bushcraft to construction yard tasks and never broke any. BUT I know the construction of Mora knives is not so tough than good full tang knife. My philosophy is that knife is for cutting and the worst abuse is batoning. It´s not prying and diggin tool for me. I can always find something else for that.

You can definitely find cheaper alternatives to RAT RC3 which are quite equal for example Winchester knives that we talked in another thread. It´s solid good quality, tough and 20 bucks. (OK, just need to regrind to convex, I don´t like secondary bewels over 20 deg angle)

RAT3 is definitely better knife than ordinary Mora, but not 20 times better like the price is.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The RAT RC-3 is 0.125" (1/8") thick. The Mora is 0.075" thick. You can do a hell of a lot with an RC-3 that you cannot do with a Mora.

--Wintermute
Really? Mine measures 0.1" thick... You can't say "the Mora" is this or that. There are lots of different models.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Then you have one of their $99 hunting knives. Definetely a step up from their $10 knives, however, still with a weak tang and not what was brought up in this thread. For about $10 less, you could have purchased a SOG at 0.175 with a heavier tang and made of better steel (unless of course you got the Mora hunter for much less than their MSRP which is good for you).

--Wintermute

·
Registered
439 Posts
Then you have one of their $99 hunting knives. Definetely a step up from their $10 knives, however, still with a weak tang and not what was brought up in this thread. For about $10 less, you could have purchased a SOG at 0.175 with a heavier tang and made of better steel (unless of course you got the Mora hunter for much less than their MSRP which is good for you).

--Wintermute
Nope. It's a $15 laminated steel Mora that orignally came with an unfinished birch handle. I use it for carving, cutting string and rope and other small camping tasks. That's what small knives are for. It is razor sharp, holds an edge extremely well and has a very solid feel. I would not trade it for a new SOG if you offered it to me (or maybe I would, and then sell it and buy several Moras with the money). If I have to do cutting tasks requiring more power or whatever reason you think I would need an SOG instead, I use a bigger knife, which I need anyway for things like chopping, batoning thick logs etc. when camping. I don't use my Mora for these larger tasks or digging or prying or whatever because that's not what it was designed for, though I'm sure I could beat the hell out of it and have it come back for more. And by no means do I baby the knife when I use it.

Why should I buy a much more expensive small knife to compliment my large chopper? Doesn't make sense, unless you care that it says "SOG" or whatever else on it. When I buy things, I look for value, i.e. getting a lot for less money. Mora knives are a great value.

BTW, how many Moras have you personally broken because they were weak?

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts