Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating back and forth for awhile between getting a Helcat and the ILBE, and have decided to go with the ILBE.

One of the things I liked about the Helcat but haven't seen addressed with the ILBE is that the Helcat that had a specific pouch for the MSS. I was wondering how everyone dealt with attaching their MSS to their ILBE. Are you attaching the pouch somewhere on the outside or stuffing in into the pack with everything else? I'd rather not have to stuff it in and work around it to get at everything.

·
Biologist
1,403 Posts
I did a quick search on the ILBE and came across this photo from the zombie squad forums

Thread here

It looks like there are straps on the top and bottom that you could thread the compression webbings of the MSS through. Sort of like how you attach it to a Hellcat. It probably won't be as secure as the Hellcat tho.

I've always packed the heaviest things of my pack towards the top (for better balance/weight distribution), and the MSS is the heaviest thing in my pack during winter camping trips. That being said it may be easier to attach to the bottom, tho it will probably bounce around more down their.

The best advice as someone who is merely speculating (I own the MSS but not the ILBE) is use para-cord alongside the compression straps to help anchor it the best you can.

Sorta like this picture from another zombie hunters thread here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have my ILBE (Issued Gear) set up as such.

MSS - Gortex Bivi attached to bag and in compression sack. Attached to bottom set of clips on ILBE where the mole attachments are. Thread straps through cinch straps on compression sack and clip, bag isn't going anywhere. Pull straps as tight as you can. Doesn't bounce and is pretty comfortable and secure, pack has flown across the pond in that configuration as well as many humps 6+ miles

Sleep Pad - Right Side of pack stuffed all the way down into the mortar tube pocket and secured with side straps.

Clothing and extra gear inside main pack in WP bag. Lid has stuff that is most often used items and usually an extra MRE.

Left side of pack I attach my camelback

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
I use a molle2 rifleman Ruck with internal sleep system carrier. It is part of the main ruck but can be unzipped from below so you don't have to dig everything out of your pack to get to it. There are two flaps inside the ruck that separate the mss from your stuff on top. So you can unzip it if you just want one giant inside pocket.
I saw the ilbe at a gunshow last weekend and it is extremely well made. If I could justify another large pack I'd begetting one myself.

·
Consciously Optimistic
1,003 Posts
In my ILBE I have the MSS in the main compartment and at the very top for better weight distribution. I'm not a fan of a stuff hanging off the bottom of the pack, only I'd put down there is a sleeping pad since it's lightweight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks every one. I guess I'll just have to order them both up and experiment a bit. Been holding off a bit because I hate the international shipping charges.

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
Thanks every one. I guess I'll just have to order them both up and experiment a bit. Been holding off a bit because I hate the international shipping charges.
The ruck in my avatar is my molle2 rifleman. You can go to my profile and see it fully loaded and 'in action' if you like. I probably had about 55-60 pounds in it that time out.

·
Registered
424 Posts
my MSS is parted out right now I have the bivy sack and the cold weather sack in the compression sack and have that stuffed into the lower section of my ILBE and then the rest of the gear packed on top of it. with the two side zippers I can get the MSS out if I need to.

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
My mss is the same. I only have the cold bag and bivy in my ruck right now. That's one thing about the molle2 with internal sleep system is it's next to impossible to fit the entire sleep system in there. I have the patrol bag out just to use as a light sleeping bag if I need to. There is another company that makes a better compression sack for the mss and it will get the whole unit down to about one square foot. I haven't used one yet but would like to try it out.

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
thanks that would be awesome
Tacticalintelligence.com has a review of the new five part 'improved modular sleep system.'
it is pretty much the same as ours but has a second compression sack that will compress the system to about 1square foot. They even have pics of a ruler sitting on top of the system and it really is right at a foot. I. Not sure where to find them though. I'm going to do some more looking and put up more info when I find it. The new primary compression sack is a tan color and looks really well made.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
14,967 Posts
I did a quick search on the ILBE and came across this photo from the zombie squad forums

Thread here

It looks like there are straps on the top and bottom that you could thread the compression webbings of the MSS through. Sort of like how you attach it to a Hellcat. It probably won't be as secure as the Hellcat tho.

I've always packed the heaviest things of my pack towards the top (for better balance/weight distribution), and the MSS is the heaviest thing in my pack during winter camping trips. That being said it may be easier to attach to the bottom, tho it will probably bounce around more down their.

The best advice as someone who is merely speculating (I own the MSS but not the ILBE) is use para-cord alongside the compression straps to help anchor it the best you can.

Sorta like this picture from another zombie hunters thread here.

Do those things come with a mule?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Google "MSS Carrier" or search it on Amazon, if you do Amazon. I've only found the carrier in 2 patterns - woodland and a desert pattern - but not MARPAT to match the pack. Still, it does what you're looking for.

-SA

·
Registered
913 Posts
I keep the heavy stuff close to my body, near my waist. It helps with your center of gravity. I learned that lesson the hard way. I have several of the ILBE packs, they work very well. I have everything from expensive civilian ultra light weight packs, Alice, the Gen II Molle rifleman rucks, and even the ultra high speed SPEARS rucks, which are also ultra heavy by comparison. So far, for most of my foreseeable needs, the ILBE does everything I need it to. If I were going back in country, I would leave my issued SPEARS ruck and my ubber expensive HSGI monster Alice mod (I used this 7500ci monster the first trip over, WAY too big) and take the ILBE. It also works we with my armor, so all around good to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts