Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to if the MSR Miniworks EX will work with camelback hydration bladders or if they only work with MSR versions (ie dromedary and hydromedary).

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Well it depends on what you mean by "works". It will technically "work" with a camelback but you will need to purify into a water container then pour it into the camelback. Or you can place the unit loosely into the camelback bladder since it has a larger fill opening. It will not fit flush like it does with MSR bags though.

The camelback fill spout is much larger in diameter than the MSR miniworks screw port.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, it does work. Most hydration bladders have the standard Nalgene sized male fitting (2in, 61mm, something like that), and the Miniworks has the compatible female fitting. However, I found it easier to pump into a Nalgene, then pour from that into the bladder. That way seemed more stable, and didn't risk ripping the fitting out of my bladder.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Yes, it does work. Most hydration bladders have the standard Nalgene sized male fitting (2in, 61mm, something like that), and the Miniworks has the compatible female fitting. However, I found it easier to pump into a Nalgene, then pour from that into the bladder. That way seemed more stable, and didn't risk ripping the fitting out of my bladder.
The mouth on a Camelbak bladder is 3 1/2 inches (89mm) not really a standard size. I could fit the whole Miniworks into my hydratoin bladder LOL. From what I remember about my Miniworks, it was about 2 inches or so in diameter.

But I do agree about filtering into a bottle, then pouring it in. But since then I got rid of container dependent filters and went with output hoses. Far more versitle for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I should change my reply from "yes, it does" to "maybe." It works on my Camelbak bladder and a friend's off-brand bladder. Maybe it won't work on the new Camelbak's.

I agree about the output hoses. The Miniworks is a great filter, and can be made better if more versatile.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I should change my reply from "yes, it does" to "maybe." It works on my Camelbak bladder and a friend's off-brand bladder. Maybe it won't work on the new Camelbak's.

I agree about the output hoses. The Miniworks is a great filter, and can be made better if more versatile.
Yep the older camelbaks had a smaller mouth. But a hose adapter on a Miniworks filter would have been great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts