Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I've been updating my gear lately to lower weight and get some products specifically designed for camping. I am very particular about the gear I have and I just can't seem to trust other reviewers so I figured I would make my own of this. Everyone else gave this set glowing 5/5 reviews. Perhaps I'll start making Youtube video reviews instead - more entertaining.

The Alpine 2 pot set from MSR looked perfect - solving all of the problems I have with cooking equipment, which are:

1. Weight - the ideal equipment is often too heavy. I would LOVE to have my cast iron pan to cook with when camping... but I can't afford the weight.

2. Material - I don't want (#&$ing non-stick aluminum poison garbage. I trust stainless steel and cast iron.

3. Build Quality - the last thing I want when I'm out in the bush with a single pot, is for that single pot to break. Camping gear always seems to be poor quality, especially with regards to welds and handle quality.

4. Space - if I buy gear designed for the kitchen, apart from it being a little too heavy, it tends to take up far too much space.

So here's the "stainless steel" Alpine 2 set:

Looks perfect right? Two pots which fit neatly one into the other, and a lid which fits both and can double as a pan or plate. No typical cheap fold-over crappy handles nor fixed handles that would mean double the space.

Wrong, not perfect, but not too bad... the ($#&ing handle is made out of aluminum. When I first tested it out, I squeezed a bit too hard and it bent. Admittedly I'm a bit abusive and clumsy with my material things - part of the reason I don't buy cheap garbage. The handle, as far as I'm concerned, is a failure - it may very well work, but when I am lifting a pot full of boiling water/soup, I want a GOOD grip on it. I don't need serious burns while I'm out camping, or god-forbid, surviving.

The pots themselves are thin and lightweight, but not at all flimsy. I like them.

Can any of you think of a solid tool that could work as a pot gripper? This handle is going in the trash if I can find something suitable.

I'm otherwise happy with the pot/lid design, and I don't feel bad about the overall purchase (~$50) - these will serve their purpose, handle or no handle.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
MSR makes a better pot gripper that they sell separately. I'd get one of those if you really want one. I have however switched to just using my multi-tool. It serves up multiple duties for me already so grabbing pots from the stove and fire just add to it's usefulness around the camp site.

MSR LiteLifter

I have that exact same set. Just be careful about frying things with that lid. It doesn't work to well and heats up really fast, so practice flame control if you try and fry with it. I've since switched over to the Evernew Titanium kit. It's coated, but still heats up super fast. Things stick to things that are too hot. I however am a bumbling idiot when it comes to cooking.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, thanks for the advice Cragar! I do carry a multitool but figured it would grab too small an area + bend the pot if there's weight. I'll give it a try :D

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Hey Folks,

I've been updating my gear lately to lower weight and get some products specifically designed for camping. I am very particular about the gear I have and I just can't seem to trust other reviewers so I figured I would make my own of this. Everyone else gave this set glowing 5/5 reviews. Perhaps I'll start making Youtube video reviews instead - more entertaining.

The Alpine 2 pot set from MSR looked perfect - solving all of the problems I have with cooking equipment, which are:

1. Weight - the ideal equipment is often too heavy. I would LOVE to have my cast iron pan to cook with when camping... but I can't afford the weight.

2. Material - I don't want (#&$ing non-stick aluminum poison garbage. I trust stainless steel and cast iron.

3. Build Quality - the last thing I want when I'm out in the bush with a single pot, is for that single pot to break. Camping gear always seems to be poor quality, especially with regards to welds and handle quality.

4. Space - if I buy gear designed for the kitchen, apart from it being a little too heavy, it tends to take up far too much space.

So here's the "stainless steel" Alpine 2 set:

Looks perfect right? Two pots which fit neatly one into the other, and a lid which fits both and can double as a pan or plate. No typical cheap fold-over crappy handles nor fixed handles that would mean double the space.

Wrong, not perfect, but not too bad... the ($#&ing handle is made out of aluminum. When I first tested it out, I squeezed a bit too hard and it bent. Admittedly I'm a bit abusive and clumsy with my material things - part of the reason I don't buy cheap garbage. The handle, as far as I'm concerned, is a failure - it may very well work, but when I am lifting a pot full of boiling water/soup, I want a GOOD grip on it. I don't need serious burns while I'm out camping, or god-forbid, surviving.

The pots themselves are thin and lightweight, but not at all flimsy. I like them.

Can any of you think of a solid tool that could work as a pot gripper? This handle is going in the trash if I can find something suitable.

I'm otherwise happy with the pot/lid design, and I don't feel bad about the overall purchase (~$50) - these will serve their purpose, handle or no handle.
I've been using the same set for several years now and am extremely happy with them. I haven't had any problem with the pot gripper; it serves me well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have that little MSR LiteLifter and it works well. I have some doubts about the durability, but so far I have not had any problems. It weighs next to nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts