Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
1. Get them free at your local disaster.
2. Get them free during the first month of boot camp.

If you want them for back packing. Don't worry about price. You won't buy to many.
If you are looking for long term survival - there are better options.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have ate many many MRE's while in the army. I was wondering which suppliers were new MRE's and if there is a difference between civi and military. Never had a civi MRE. MRE's seem like the best option for my BOB.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
There are a few more items. The Fajita MRE is good. --- but they still have the omelet!

I think the Civi MRE’s are the same crap... I mean product. Some are just wrapped in cheaper clear plastic w/o heater.

There are other meal products.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have some military mres that I am going to be getting rid of if anybody is interested they have a 2012 inspection date and time temp indicator stickers on them a and b menues 65.00 a case or trade for guy stuff Im not a store but I want to sell some of what I have to get more freeze dried stuff if you buy a bunch I can lower the price thanks jimmy (661)618-8850

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not sure why you are looking for MRE's.

Consider other options and do a little research on food options.

We look at long-term food storage needs and bug out options.

MRE's have a relatively short shelf life if you plan on sheltering in place.

Once you purchase MREs, are you willing to eat them periodically to rotate your food supply before they expire?

One MRE has 1,000 calories per pouch. This is assuming you eat the entire contents.

MRE's weigh 1.5 lbs each. That's 18lbs per case. (not ideal for bugging out on foot)

MREs produce a lot of excess trash.

Here is our plan:

Primary plan is to shelter in place. MOst of our food storage plan is for long-term storage. SOme items are canned goods, some 30+ year shelf life foods, fresh eggs, fresh veggies, home canned fruits/veg, dehydrated fruits/veg etc.

Secondary plan is to bugout by vehicle to primary BOL. Long term storage items are ready to be dropped into rubbermaid containers and strapped down on bug out trailer.

Thrid plan is to bugout to primary BOL on foot. This is where our stock of light weight backpacking food comes into play. BOL is 25 miles via roads, but only 17 miles as the crow flies. Will pack 6 days of food in BOB in case things go south and prevent direct route as planned. Food is cached at BOL.

If looking for food for BOB, chat with backpacker who have experience with long distance hiking.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The MRE's are for bugging out on foot. My thought is most of the backpacking food is dehydrated and requires water which will be at premium. You assume you will be able to drive anywhere you want. I live in Louisiana and trying to drive out during a hurricane evacuation is next to impossible. I have humped a ruck and ate MRE's in the army without any problems. MRE's are short term to get me to BOL. I have never bought MRE's because uncle Sam always gave them to me. I was just wanting to know if anyone knew who sells the newest MRE's.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,529 Posts
I find the best deals on MREs are at gun shows. They're the actual Military ones. But they usually have a year or two on them, unless you have a dealer with connections on base. Technically, they're not supposed to resell them to the public like that, but they have always done so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts