Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many days of MREs do you think is minimum to store int eh house,,,,how many days at some other location(s)? Do you split your food in case one of the places gets broken into and food stolen?

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Personally, I pass on MREs. Too expensive.
I can store better tasting food that costs much less than MREs.
They aren't bad, they just aren't practical for me & the family.
It's a matter of preference.. and our food budget. ..and variety, long term.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I have 1 - 2 cases of mres at the camp, all the rest are at my house.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
MREs are short term options at best. I keep a few cases around because I can get them cheap. But to me, they're just for grab and go foods for a few days. There are far better options in food storage for long term.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
I usually have two cases on hand. I keep and use them more for hiking or short camping trips, and not so much for a long term food storage item.
I used to have them as long term, but have gradually replaced the MRE's long term space with more wheat, rice, and beans.

·
It is what it is
793 Posts
I usually have two cases on hand. I keep and use them more for hiking or short camping trips, and not so much for a long term food storage item.
I used to have them as long term, but have gradually replaced the MRE's long term space with more wheat, rice, and beans.
Yep, MREs are too expensive and take up too much space as a primary longterm food source.

I keep two cases as well, split between by BOBs and BOLs. They are perfect for 2-3 days on the move.

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
I like storing very little of my long term food supplies in the house. Most is stored in a cool secured area. If our house burned,was robbed or we were forced to leave we would lose a couple months food at the most.

We keep 60 days worth of MRE's for 2 people stored in plastic barrels buried a few hundred yards away from the house at this house and our other house. At $5 each I consider them very cheap considering they will last 10 years stored in the cool place we keep them. Over the 10 years it works out to 50 cents a year for each meal,dirt cheap food insurance I think.

With a bag of rice and beans we could make the MRE's last a long time. We both like MRE's and have no problems eating them. I would rather eat a MRE than eat at most fast food places. I liked most of the old C rations from the 1968 era and the woman and I had no ptoblems eating the boxed rations handed out a forest fires. When we are hungry we eat.

We take 2 MRE's per day for each of us on the ATV's on prospecting trips that last 3 to 5 days. It is easy to prepare quickly and light to pack out. It sure beats carrying pots,pans and stoves like some people that go with us.

Red

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a mixture of stored food. From can goods, Mountain House pouches, to MREs. I keep MREs in my car and GHB for emergency situations. My BOB has Mountain House pouches. I ate a MRE that was about 13 yrs old and it was fine. So I will keep all that I have. When I go to gun shows I always look for cheap MRE's around $5.00.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
They seem awful expensive to me. Wouldn't you be better off with some high calorie energy bars for your BOB?
Probably would be. I like Tigers Milk and Pemmican Bars. My preference is to make my own Nut rolls before I go afield.

MRE's are protected fairly well in the pouch. I don't like them either and prefer to make my own nut rolls before going afield.

The guys I know that have to eat them insist on the heaters to make them more palatable.

Also has WP condiments pouch that is a great BOB item to have. Has a pkg of TP in it! I always save mine and keep them in all my bags, kits, and vehicles.

Mountain house #10 cans are a good choice as well. I buy them on sale whenever I see them.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
I keep a couple of cases of MRE's and MH in pouches around as an "as needed" option. I wouldn't want to have to rely on either one for long term food stores. Even though I keep some MH around I find that it has entirely too much sodium for my taste.

·
Lux in Tenebris
7,124 Posts
Ditto the E's being too costly for long term usage..I have 2 cases, use for fishing trips, keeping on the trunk box, etc...I spend the $$ on main staples, rice, beans, canned goods, etc....

Now, when i first started prepping, and creating my 72 hr GHB's and 3 day "bug in" kits, I bought them..Simply having bought them gave me a feeling of power, taking charge, taking steps..So, buying E's for that purpose led me to the place i am today..

So, if you have nothing, and can afford to buy them, buy enough for 3 days, then keep prepping, knowing that you are doing more the 80% of the sheeple out there....Just my .002 worth....

·
Stop being on my side!
8,536 Posts
I have to jump on the "MREs suck for long-term storage" bandwagon.

But I think they're great for short(ish) term disruptions. They were great for us after Katrina. They take no fuel to prepare, can be eaten safely with less-than-clean hands, and no dishes to deal with afterward.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts