Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had dehydrated and freeze dried meals many times before. Until today, however, I hadn't tried an MRE.

I had a couple "extra" after packing three day emergency supplies for my family along with a few in our bob and ghb. So, I tought I'd do a taste test.

It was decent.:thumb:

I had the cheese tortellini (forgive my spelling, if i got it wrong). It wasn't any different than the canned versions, except the sauce was a bit thicker and it wasn't as salty as some canned stuff I've had. Actually, those were two big plusses for me (thicker sauce, less salt).

I learned a couple of things:

They are definitely better with the MRE heaters.

MRE heaters need a bit of water to activate the heating element (just a couple tablespoons).

A single MRE "meal" is actually a decent sized serving. And I packed too much for the 3-day survival supply. There's no way my kids will eat a main dish and two sides three times a day.

I would take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the MRE heater. It's simple, but it's important to follow the directions closely. I wouldn't want to be fumbling around with the directions in a survival, high stress situation. Do it once and you'll remember the process from here on out.

I found the directions quite accurate. Even the "cooking" time was accurate, though you could leave the MRE in the heater for longer than suggested and things would only improve. And the heating element gets pretty darn hot. I started mine 35 minutes ago and its still producing.

Definitely better than some freeze dried backpacking "meals" I've eaten before.

Of course, my MRE was only three years old. Still a positive and reassuring experience.

This may be old hat to some of you, but thought I'd pass along my experience for those who might not have had the culinary pleasure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
unless your kids are really young i imagine they will demolish them. When i had to eat them in boot camp they never filled me up at all, the rest of my flight felt the same way too.

Try the beef enchilida, meat loaf, and chili mac. Those were my favorites. O and stay away from the omelette MRE.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
After I hit the Houston PODS and recieved no MREs but local made paper boxed items with grocery store items in them, I decided to do some repacking. I took a zip lock freezer bag that holds about 2 quarts or so. I took out the single serving cereal bowls, saltines, and freeze dried milk, and put 2 6oz cans of soup, beef stew, spaghetti/ravioli, or chili mac in along with a fruit cup, rasins, peanuts, desert (snackwells usually), and 2 snacks. (pretzels, ritz bitz, ect)

I also included a utinsel/napkin/salt-pepper pack, vitamin suppliment packet that can be added to water or food, a book of matches, an MRE heater I bought from cheaperthandirt.com (FYI the cans barely fit in the pouch), and a small roll of TP (I had collected a bunch of commercial grade rolls that were thrown out because there were only an inch or so left thick)

I spent a total of 10 bucks for the MRE heaters and matches, and I ended up with 30 MREs. I added up the calories and nutrient information and the MREs I made up are almost identical to the MILSPEC. When I sucked most of the air out of the freezer bag folded it in half, and duct taped it down across the zipper, I ended up with an MRE that is of comperable weight and volumn to the humanitarian MREs, which are a little larger to the MILSPEC ones. if anyone wants I'll take a picture and show them when I get my disater pics developed.

Reactions: msc

·
Banned
647 Posts

:)Thanks, Wildjo,

I happen to love some of the backpacking freeze-dry meals, so I'm hoping I'll really like MRE's even more.

My little nearby army/navy store just happened to get a few in.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
That's good to know because I have 4 cases. I don't want to eat one because it would be one less meal in an emergency. It's been a challenge to get the supplies I have so, I don't like using anything I've collected.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
check out the new kid on the block peeps...

Reactions: Andrew1985

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mre's

I have had MRE's for years and the thing that i have found is that they are good for when you have no to limited choice as to what you have to eat.

Lots of hot sauce shoud be on hand for when you go to use them as the are bland but filling.

Ozziepom

·
Prepared
301 Posts
Who made the MRE you ate?

I've had dehydrated and freeze dried meals many times before. Until today, however, I hadn't tried an MRE.

I had a couple "extra" after packing three day emergency supplies for my family along with a few in our bob and ghb. So, I tought I'd do a taste test.

It was decent.:thumb:

I had the cheese tortellini (forgive my spelling, if i got it wrong). It wasn't any different than the canned versions, except the sauce was a bit thicker and it wasn't as salty as some canned stuff I've had. Actually, those were two big plusses for me (thicker sauce, less salt).

I learned a couple of things:

They are definitely better with the MRE heaters.

MRE heaters need a bit of water to activate the heating element (just a couple tablespoons).

A single MRE "meal" is actually a decent sized serving. And I packed too much for the 3-day survival supply. There's no way my kids will eat a main dish and two sides three times a day.

I would take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the MRE heater. It's simple, but it's important to follow the directions closely. I wouldn't want to be fumbling around with the directions in a survival, high stress situation. Do it once and you'll remember the process from here on out.

I found the directions quite accurate. Even the "cooking" time was accurate, though you could leave the MRE in the heater for longer than suggested and things would only improve. And the heating element gets pretty darn hot. I started mine 35 minutes ago and its still producing.

Of course, my MRE was only three years old. Still a positive and reassuring experience.

This may be old hat to some of you, but thought I'd pass along my experience for those who might not have had the culinary pleasure.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's good to know because I have 4 cases. I don't want to eat one because it would be one less meal in an emergency. It's been a challenge to get the supplies I have so, I don't like using anything I've collected.
I personally make a habit of using - and abusing - EVERYTHING I acquire for the purposes of survival. That goes for supplies, food, equipment, ammunition, weapons, tools, etc. MREs probably aren't the best example... it's food, it has a long shelf life, and when you're hungry, you'll eat no matter what the taste is like (though personally I kind of like MREs). But I still like to have first hand experience with anything I might stake my life on. In regards to tools & weapons, I've purchased more than a few items that I thought would be bulletproof, but upon testing turned out to crap. If that had been when it counted...

Just my .02

·
Registered
456 Posts
The last MRE I ate was on a Search and Rescue mission off the Oregon Coast in some seriously nasty weather. Our boat, a 44' Motor Life Boat, did about 14 knots firewalled and the guy was way off shore in a storm that was too big for his sailboat.

I finally got hungry and downed the Tuna Mac MRE stashed below. Within 5 minutes it came right back up.

The only time in 5 years in the Coast Guard, riding the nastiest weather nature has to throw at the worst riding boats you can imagine, I ever got sea sick.

I'll stick to freeze dried, dehydrated, canned, or anything but MRE's :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who made the MRE you ate?
Got mine from www.longlifefood.com (no "s").

http://www.longlifefood.com/

I have written about this site, which I have no connection to, in other threads. I've ordered from them twice and received each order within 48 hours from ordering. I am extremely pleased with the quality and service. They have the best selection and you can buy a single MRE or a case. Reasonable shipping cost as well.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
I am the same way, I want to try one of my MRE's, but I don't want to reduce my 2 case supply. A case is usually between $65-$79 ,and another $25-$30 for shipping ,makes them rather expensive to replace. I bought mine from MREdepot.com , they seem like a reputable company ,but being located in CA it usually takes 6-7 days (standard UPS ground)to recieve my order here in OH.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I am the same way, I want to try one of my MRE's, but I don't want to reduce my 2 case supply. A case is usually between $65-$79 ,and another $25-$30 for shipping ,makes them rather expensive to replace. I bought mine from MREdepot.com , they seem like a reputable company ,but being located in CA it usually takes 6-7 days (standard UPS ground)to recieve my order here in OH.
Then you gotta try www.longlifefood.com.

I've never praised a company so much, so it feels wierd. But, it was my best online experience by far for the following reasons:

1) You can purchase any quantity, not just cases.
2) The price was right on and the shipping was free
3) I received my first order within 48 hours and my second order, I kid you not, within 24. I had forgotten a few things on my first order, like the accessory packs and heaters. So I ordered them after I opened my first package, before noon. The suckers came the next day!
4) I always knew what was happening with my order. They send an email verification immediately and let me know what my ups tracking number was. I sent an email asking a question, I got an immediate response.

Folks, in today's marketplace service and the customer always seem to come last. Not with these folks. They've earned my business. Please, someone try them out so I'm not the only one singing their praises.

Again, I have run an outdoor store. I can get a lot of the stuff I need below retail (Except MREs). I have no connection to www.longlifefood.com. I feel kinda like a bytch talking them up so much, but my two experiences far surpasses any customer service I've ever received or have, honestly, given. They've made me look at my business in a whole new light.

·
Banned
486 Posts
I was browsing new posts when I seen the title of this post and I had to stop in and see what it was about. Great post!. I myself love MRE's . Although they can be a bit expesnive. I know its also illegal but I only like Military MREs. I mostly buy them on ebay.com or Gunbrokers.com but sometimes my local Military Surplus store has them on hand.

The reason so many other brands are hitting the market these days is because its becoming more know that its illegal to buy MRES from private people. Even If there soldiers. Because they are all paid for with tax dollars and are property of the US govt. Even if they are unused by a war-fighter during combat or from coming back from the field.

I myself got hooked on MRE's at a young age because my Brothers and Sisters would bring them home for me when they came home on leave. I would clean there cars out and stuff like that when I was real young and they would give them to me. I was in cub scouts and boy scouts so I would use them when I went on retreats or camping. Then when I got older they would just give em to me mosly because I wouldnt clean there car lol.

I have never really heard of anyone getting arrested for using or buying MRE's so im gonna keep buying em and eating em'.

·
Banned
486 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have not eaten a MRE since 1997. They got new ones from the ones that were offered when I was serving. One of the guys at the station had an entree today and he let me eat it.

I had the chicken in salsa. First thing I noticed was that the entree was only 200 calories. That surprised me, as I always think of the meals as being really full of calories. I ate it cold because thats just the way we always did it. We were never issued mre heaters when I served, and other than possibly adding some hot water to them now and then, I never heated my mre's up.

As far as this entree was concerned, it was not to bad. I did not think it was any better than the ones I had when I was in. I use to really enjoy the spaghetti and the beef stew ones. But it was certainly not the worst thing I had ever eaten.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How about saving your money, those things suck, you people are survivalist so why not use you're .22 rifle to get your food? You don't know when the sghtf so why depend on mre's? Chances are it will be no good by the time it does. Don't know, just saying.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts