Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Not off hand, have seen some dehydrated meal packs in some camping stores/diposal stores for around $20 a meal pack. Rather expensive and if water shortages for drinking is an issue, then additional water for these packs could be a problem.

·
On my way.
317 Posts
Not off hand, have seen some dehydrated meal packs in some camping stores/diposal stores for around $20 a meal pack. Rather expensive and if water shortages for drinking is an issue, then additional water for these packs could be a problem.
You could always buy a $99 Sunbeam dehydrator and dry your own food. There are a few good websites with recipies around, but as Thedragon says, you will need water to rehydrate, most of my hiking food is rehydrated at a 1:1 ratio.

Gunn

·
Registered
158 Posts
We keep a supply of freeze dried meals for camping and also about a month's supply in the house. Annaconda is cheapest. We also keep a supply of NZ Army ration packs branded as "Hungerbusters" for camping and trips away - not exaclty MRE but the main meal pouch is similar - https://secure1.ilisys.com.au/porti/shop_aus/qcart_add.cgi?Department=hungerbuster. The UK army rat packs have good lightweight main meal pouches that are better than MRE's.

·
On my way.
317 Posts
I found these the other day, 48 Hr 2 Man Combat Ration Packs.

48 Hr 2 Man Combat Ration Packs.

Stow one of these away in the in the back of your FWD
ideal for 1 man for 4 days or 2 men 2 days.
Or split them up and stow in your back pack ?

Army Combat Rations are the best way of providing
easy to eat energy giving nutritious food when out in the bush

Shelf life 2 years 3 years if you keep them in a low temperature
environment.

4 x Ration Packs 24 hour man packs in box.

From New Zealand Army ( second best combat rations in the world
next to the Canadian ) that's our own personnel view any way !

·
Registered
946 Posts
http://www.kawekafoods.co.nz/default.html

You can buy these in some supermarkets. They probably don't last as long as your normal MRE wet pack but still a nice alternative. I took the beef 'n ale stew tramping once for my first meal. Trudging through snow for 3 hr's late at night to have a hot stew with mashed spud & veg... washed down with a camping grade bourbon 'n coke (50/50).

Can't imagine tramping without bourbon :D:

·
Registered
68 Posts
camping store near me "outdoor first" sells MRE I think there called Backyard pantry or something along those line for about $8.95 (1 meal) and you have a few choices to pick from masala chicken...etc...
They are the cheapest I have found.. Sometimes Army disposal stores sell similiar MRE's..
Good luck:D:
P.S At $9 you could make your own ration pack that's what I do...
*cheesy macarooni (add boiling water and powdered cheese satchy)$1.25 at Coles also comes in chicken flavour (new on market)
*mild chick. curry pasta/soup continental ..add boiling water $1.00
*quad serves Oreo bikis from reject shop (bag or about 12 for $2 )
*individ orange refresh (like tang)add to 1 Ltr water .70c
*muesli bar choc chip .50c
*apple energy bar $1.99
*small cadbory choc inivid serve .80c
*individ. serv coffee and 1 teabag $1.00
*individ. sugar/salt.pepper.. courtesy of Ronald Mc Donald (free)
*individ coffee whitener/small long life milk .80c
that will keep you going all day.. your not gonna get fat on it but you will survive...I have a few packed away in an emergency and everytime I go camping/hiking I will take a couple so I keep them rotated.:thumb:

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
You could always buy a $99 Sunbeam dehydrator and dry your own food. There are a few good websites with recipies around, but as Thedragon says, you will need water to rehydrate, most of my hiking food is rehydrated at a 1:1 ratio.

Gunn

yep, good idea, have done this with some of our preps.

·
Lemming herder!
1,189 Posts
Do like Dragon suggested. "Man-up", "grow some" and make your own! :D:

Heh-heh, I'd been looking around for some cheapo MRE's - once again we'z screwed down here in the downunder due to shipping and economy of scale/population and essentially, as always, have two choices;

1) Get your cash dragged out your ass over the counter. :taped:
2) Use your antipodean cunning and make your own. :thumb:

I ended up buying a food dehydrator and doing my own things as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts