Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, after Hurricane Ivan hit Northwest Florida, the National Guard was giving boxes of MREs, bottles of water, and ice out. This was september of 2004. Do you think that after nearly 4 years in my garage that they still might be edible? I live in florida, and my garage has had temps from 30F in the winter to 105F in the summer.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My MREs are kept in my basement which is a steady 60- 80 degees. I have 10 year old MREs that are just fine. Your higher temperatures will definitely affect the shelf life, I do not think that they will make you sick, but the nutritional value and flavor may be affected.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
My bet is that they are toast. According to the government standards they have been subjected to years of heat that shortens their life to months. FEMA toasted some onsite after delivering them and leaving them in trailers for several months at over a hundred degrees. Everything was disposed of. :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
The high temp storage will make them worthless as far as nutritional value, but as long as the package is not puffed up, the contents are considered safe to eat.
It may be better than eating straw, but will have less nutritional value.
Trust your nose, if it smells bad do not eat it.
Many of the condiments and freeze dried stuff will still be good.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I don't see how the nutritional value could dwindle since they haven't been opened. So you don't think they're any good? Spending 3 hot summers out there in my garage? I like to keep MREs around just in case, but they're just too expensive. Is there anywhere that I could buy them for a COUPLE of bucks apeice or something?

·
Y2K Veteran
274 Posts
Because of the high storage temperatures, I would not trust them. Why not just take one out and try it? I have MREs that are now 10 yrs old and past their recommended 7 year life from Long Life, and they are still good. I have actually been eating them little by little. Thinking of making a dandy chicken noodle casserole with some cheese and breadcrumbs on top and bake it for a little while for our next office party... ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ate some of the crackers, and though they were pretty stale, they were tasty with some peanut butter! Though the food still seems to be good in taste and nutrition, the MRE flamless heaters have failed to work for me. All three of the ones I tried didn't heat up the MRE nearly as hot or as fast as they used to.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The main entrees are probably not much good after the heat exposure,but the crackers,or freeze dried fruit,or other dry stuff I'd probably still eat.If you ever have doubts on some foodstuff,feed it to the dog,first.See if they react to it.Thats why you have them.They are your servant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.