Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw an ad for the individual Mixed Fruit side dishes at a good price...Im an old C Ration guy...Dont know a lot about the new menus...Is the Mixed Fruit wet pack Fruit Cocktail or some other mixture?

·
Registered
200 Posts
MRE eater

IMHO. Old brown package mres had the freeze dried mixed fruit. (dbl yub) the newer light brown/tan mres have the wet mixed fruit. I could have missed something, but have eaten my tonage of mres at work and on the trail. I prefer the British 24hr packs. When humpping I like Mountain House freeze dried.

Oaty

·
Its Just that Simple
119 Posts
IMHO. Old brown package mres had the freeze dried mixed fruit. (dbl yub) the newer light brown/tan mres have the wet mixed fruit. I could have missed something, but have eaten my tonage of mres at work and on the trail. I prefer the British 24hr packs. When humpping I like Mountain House freeze dried.

Oaty
Correct. Old = freeze dried. New - wet.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,608 Posts
Saw an ad for the individual Mixed Fruit side dishes at a good price...Im an old C Ration guy...Dont know a lot about the new menus...Is the Mixed Fruit wet pack Fruit Cocktail or some other mixture?
It's fruit cocktail very similar to the canned version.

·
Registered
200 Posts
MRE

Im still eating MRE's leftover from Katrina. None have gone bad. I keep them in the house. So they are not exposed to rapid and prolonged heat/cold. However, I have gutted the old dark brown mres for the goodies that I could store. Even the matches had issues. Matches would not light. kept the spoons, toliet paper etc. Note: Heater packs have changed design over the years, some are worthless while others are mini nuke power plants.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I can get a decent price I sometimes purchase the individual main entrees by bulk, usually a case of 72 and throw them in the freezer...they stay stable until the power goes off for the final time then the clock starts again..I have stuff been frozen 20 years..waiting...

·
Registered
886 Posts
"It's fruit cocktail very similar to the canned version."

Yes, real good, but enough sugar and corn syrup to gag a goat.

Serving Size 1 pouch (128 g)
Servings Per Container 1
Calories 100
Calories From Fat 0
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 25 mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 24 g 8%
Dietary Fiber 2 g 8%
Sugars 16 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 45%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%

Ingredients: Fruit Cocktail in Light Syrup [Diced Peaches, Diced Pears, Water, Grapes, Corn Syrup, Pineapple Segments, Halved Cherries Artificially Colored Red, Sugar], Sugar, Contains 2% or less of the following: Sodium Citrate Dihydrate, Vitamin C [Ascorbic Acid]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts