·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: joes

·
May *** help us all.
258 Posts
I went to both Wal-Mart and Lowe's today looking for exactly that and both were picked clean.

I'm interested in the 20-lb propane tank attachment, but the feasibility may not be ideal - you have to leave the big tank outside and run a hose in somehow. If it's cold out, you either need some sort of permanent solution or you'll likely lose more heat than you'll gain (IMO).

So maybe the tiny propane tanks are the best option.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to both Wal-Mart and Lowe's today looking for exactly that and both were picked clean.

I'm interested in the 20-lb propane tank attachment, but the feasibility may not be ideal - you have to leave the big tank outside and run a hose in somehow. If it's cold out, you either need some sort of permanent solution or you'll likely lose more heat than you'll gain (IMO).

So maybe the tiny propane tanks are the best option.

I'm running a test right now on low to see if it will last 5 hrs on one 1LB tank. Temp outside is 32 F, inside with primary heat off its about 41, upstairs in loft with MR. heater on low it's 60. This thing works GREAT. They also make a bigger one that uses two 1LB tanks and is not much bigger. I do plan on getting a second carbon monoxide sensor for the loft ASAP even though I don't plan on sleeping with it on.

I highly recommend this product despite it being made by slaves in china.:eek:

Try sportsman's guide or cheaper than dung. They might have them in stock.:thumb:

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I'm running a test right now on low to see if it will last 5 hrs on one 1LB tank. Temp outside is 32 F, inside with primary heat off its about 41, upstairs in loft with MR. heater on low it's 60. This thing works GREAT. They also make a bigger one that uses two 1LB tanks and is not much bigger. I do plan on getting a second carbon monoxide sensor for the loft ASAP even though I don't plan on sleeping with it on.

I highly recommend this product despite it being made by slaves in china.:eek:

Try sportsman's guide or cheaper than dung. They might have them in stock.:thumb:
This test is interesting...How many square feet are you trying to heat ? Thanks....:thumb:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This test is interesting...How many square feet are you trying to heat ? Thanks....:thumb:
The loft is 16X12 SO whatever that adds up to. Just under 200SQ FT I believe.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
The loft is 16X12 SO whatever that adds up to. Just under 200SQ FT I believe.
Ok...I am going to be building another cabin and my loft will be about that size.That's why i am very interested....Is your home a log cabin or stick built 2x4 or 2x6 ? Also what are you heating the downstairs with a natural gas or propane furnace ? Thanks....

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Temp is now 64 F up here. They should have named this thing the ******* fireplace.:D:

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Temp is now 64 F up here. They should have named this thing the ******* fireplace.:D:
Hey now...I-R ******* and use alot of things like you describe. :thumb:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok...I am going to be building another cabin and my loft will be about that size.That's why i am very interested....Is your home a log cabin or stick built 2x4 or 2x6 ? Also what are you heating the downstairs with a natural gas or propane furnace ? Thanks....
It was stick built about 1900 but fully renovated a few years ago. The insulation is very good, it's like a thermos. In the summer I only need AC upstairs. The rest stays cool and feels like central air with nothing running. It is about 1200 sq ft. The main heat is forced air oil furnace.

The Mr Heater just ran out. four and a half hours on low.

·
Registered
7 Posts
take a look around for a 5 - 10 pound tank, much safer and easier to move around than a 20 and more economical than the 1lb tanks.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I have a Mr. Buddy on a couple 20lb. tanks at each of the cabins (I keep firewood at both for the stoves but the Mr. Buddys are obviously quicker). I love my heaters, both have always worked reliably (they're a few years old now, got each on a good sale).

At home, I store my tanks and fuels in a separate outbuilding.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I heat an old 20' camper with a large model. A twenty pound tank last more than a week on low. It is a great investment.

·
Banned
376 Posts
I have a Portable Buddy Mr Heater for my car to defrost the windows. I am thinking of getting a 12 volt fan to move the heat around too. I've got a 30lb propane tank, new and filled, but no quick connect.

·
Registered
230 Posts
just wondering if anyone has tried the valve that allows you to refill the small propane tanks with a larger one? I noticed it at Cabellas when I was look at the heater buddy, in any case it might be a good item to have on hand if it works... anyone know????

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got one of the regular, and one of the Big Buddies, as well as a few of the Coleman catalytic ones. I love all of them, and have them primarily for backup.
NOW is the time of year to buy them, as they lower the cost substantially to move em out. I use the Coleman's the most, as they are the smallest. Watch Lowes, and Amazon. They've run cheap prices on Buddies in the past. BeSwift

·
Registered
247 Posts
I use one at the house, mostly to knock the chill of while I get the wood stove cookin'. Works great and have been using it for about 4 years now. I use a 20lb tank. the 1 lb'ers dont last long enough. Granted...I can get 2 1lb caisters for just over $5, but I can have a 20lb tank refilled for under $10.

·
Registered
313 Posts
just wondering if anyone has tried the valve that allows you to refill the small propane tanks with a larger one? I noticed it at Cabellas when I was look at the heater buddy, in any case it might be a good item to have on hand if it works... anyone know????
Ive been doing that for 20 years. They work great for me.:thumb:

·
May *** help us all.
258 Posts
For those that use the 20lb tanks: how do you keep the thing ventilated without having to crack the door open and let all the heat out? 20lb option would be my first choice, I just don't see the logistics working out.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts