Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think an MP5 clone chambered in 22 long rifle would have a role in a SHTF / Doomsday event?

Awhile back I did some horse trading and ended up with a Walther MP5 clone in 22 long rifle. I am sure if loaded with something like CCI stingers the MP5 clone would do its job quit well.

I do not know about know, but years ago poachers (around here at least) would use 22 long rifle to poach deer at night. My uncle took a deer with a rifle chambered in 22 long rifle. Not that he was poaching, but he probably was, as this was back in the late 1970s.

Personally, I would like one chambered in something like 17hmr, or maybe 22 magnum.

Let's be honest, MP5 clones are expensive. Palmetto State Armory was supposed to release an MP5 clone, but it has not hit the market yet. PSA announced that clone at SHOT Show 2018. Here we are well over a year later and nothing.

PTR has some MP5 clones in 9mm, but they are expensive.

Why an MP5 clone in 22 long rifle? Mainly because they are compact. However, I am not sure they would be a better choice than a Ruger 10/22 with a 30 round magazine.

·
reluctant sinner
17,912 Posts
My buddy's Grampa Red shot hundreds of deer and elk with a single shot 22 mag. He just shot them once in the heart. It was allowed at the time to harvest camp meat for the mine crews.

I was never into spray and pray - suppression fire is for people that don't hump the ammo on their back very far or that get air dropped re-supply.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There is something to be said about saving for what you really want vs settling for something cheap but 'close' to it.

My advice - Buy yourself an airsoft MP5 to tide you over until you can get a real one.

You toss less money in the trash that way in the long run.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
A Ruger 10/22 would be a better investment and much more versatile. I bought my son the UMAREX model (licensed by HK). It's the SD3 model, with faux integral suppressor. It's built well and functions fine with good ammo. It's a lot of fun for "kids" and accurate enough for plinking and possibly some hunting, but it's heavy (being a closer replica) and doesn't offer much for optics mounting.

I would make a nice trainer with iron sights and cheap ammo, but a 10/22 would give you far more beneficial options.

ROCK6

·
Space Force Recruit
1,581 Posts
There is something to be said about saving for what you really want vs settling for something cheap but 'close' to it.

My advice - Buy yourself an airsoft MP5 to tide you over until you can get a real one.

You toss less money in the trash that way in the long run.
Airsoft MP5s are the same price as a .22 lr Mp5 clone. Considering both are probably made by Umarex I wouldn't expect the .22lr one to hold up to any real use.

PTR and Zenith/MKE make affordable (compared to an actual MP5) and reliable MP5 clones. Zenith/MKE will be closer to a true HK MP5 than the PTR, since MKE makes them on HK tooling and I think PTR reverse engineered theirs.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
If I was looking at something with that kind of ammo capacity, I'd probably go with the .22 Ruger, just based on the logistics of the thing. I've had no problems with the Ruger 25 round magazines. However, I've had no problems with the ten rounders, so that's what I usually use for that kind of carbine. The MP5 clones are visually interesting, but the spare parts situation isn't what I'd characterize as all that good.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Throwing my hat in for the Ruger 10/22 camp.

That said, I have a Beretta Cx4 Storm, a Ruger PC Carbine and a CZ Scorpion Evo S1. I'm a huge PCC fan.

I've shot MP5's, civilian and military. They're sweet shooting guns, that's for sure, but in the era of modern PCCs they're starting to show their age. They're very expensive for what they are and good luck sourcing good replacement parts without having to sell a kidney. They command such a price mostly due to the reverence we all have for it's proven history and flat out cool factor.

If you really need to scratch that itch I'd recommend anything I mentioned I own above. Next on my list is likely a B&T GHM9. The Kel-tec Sub 2000 is out the for those with a serious budget (though I'm not a fan).

Of course there's no shortage of 9mm AR clones. Haven't shot many of them, I'm sort of bored of AR's. Chiappa makes the PAK-9, an AK clone. It's $400 but I've heard you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'd rather have a 10/22, maybe a 10/22 Charger "pistol", because parts are common, magazines are common, accessories are common, and probably every gunsmith in the world knows how to work on them.

·
Awesome
17,085 Posts
i dont think so.. just get an existing, popular, semi automatic 22 that actually has aftermarket and spare parts available for it.. an MP5 in 22 is just a novelty item, but if i want a semi auto .22lr for shtf, a 10/22 fills the role better

·
Fenced In
3,369 Posts
None for me, thanks. The closest I'd get - and it's not that close - is a Kel-Tec CMR-30 with some good CCI ammo.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you already own it, then no reason not to use it unless it fails to function and you can't fix it.

I have a M&P-22 which is a 22lr AR 15 in all respects from the outside. I bought it years ago when POTUS 44 was elected. I was able to train and work on sight alignment and trigger control for pennies per round. I still have it. I survived the 22lr drought and enjoy shooting it as often as I can. My copy functions well and the mags hold 25 rounds in the same size as a 30 round AR mag. It's lighter than my AR and I have confidence in it... but it would not be my first choice.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
"Better than a pointy stick" is all I can come up with. I personally see little use for these knock off 22LR HK MP5 copy guns but if you are happy with it - have at it. Then again, I don't need a reason to justify every gun in my gun collection.

Trying to find some survival / preparedness reason for owning a certain gun seems like a waste of time to me. If you like the gun and you can hit what you are aiming at, no further justification is needed.

·
Registered
12,642 Posts
If a .22 is all you think you will need...I still wouldn't get the thing.

There are far too many pretty darned good .22 rifles out there at a far better price.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Does anyone think an MP5 clone chambered in 22 long rifle would have a role in a SHTF / Doomsday event?

Awhile back I did some horse trading and ended up with a Walther MP5 clone in 22 long rifle. I am sure if loaded with something like CCI stingers the MP5 clone would do its job quit well.

I do not know about know, but years ago poachers (around here at least) would use 22 long rifle to poach deer at night. My uncle took a deer with a rifle chambered in 22 long rifle. Not that he was poaching, but he probably was, as this was back in the late 1970s.

Personally, I would like one chambered in something like 17hmr, or maybe 22 magnum.

Let's be honest, MP5 clones are expensive. Palmetto State Armory was supposed to release an MP5 clone, but it has not hit the market yet. PSA announced that clone at SHOT Show 2018. Here we are well over a year later and nothing.

PTR has some MP5 clones in 9mm, but they are expensive.

Why an MP5 clone in 22 long rifle? Mainly because they are compact. However, I am not sure they would be a better choice than a Ruger 10/22 with a 30 round magazine.
A few suggestions......

1. Set your requirements based on reliability, durability, and accuracy.
If it meets them, then there is no real reason not to use it.

2. Does it sport a threaded muzzle? If it does, will it cycle with your can/ ammo type you wanna use? ( A few of our 1022s have threaded muzzles and are hosts for a can.

With that said.....if it were me....I would sell off the MP5 clone and get a stainless steel 1022 with threaded muzzle along with a 22 45 lite/ can in pic below. Much more compact vs the clone you mentioned or a 1022 sbr. .....and allows you to carry it along with a firearm chambered in a centerfire rifle cartridge. ( A big gun and a little gun...lol)

I carry mine along with one of the firearms in other pic below...

11B

Attachments

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Or even better, the T/CR22 clone, which comes with a threaded barrel, Magpul stock and decent trigger, and takes 10/22 mags; at the price of the base model 10/22.:thumb:
Ya talked me into it Ajole.

As soon as I find one I will pick it up, add a sling, Leopold VX freedom 2x7x33 mm rimfire scope, and give it a spin.

While not as compact as the MP5 clone, it has many features that make sense in a rimfire ....pre or post " doomsday ".

Might even add a full on paint job to this one.

More info here.....

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/10/3/hardware-thompsoncenter-tcr22/

11B

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
The 10/22 is the go-to that everybody talks about with .22LR in a carbine or rifle. I have a 10/22 and like it. But, for hunting, I prefer an old Springfield 87A. Accuracy is extremely good within the limitations of .22LR and I like tube-fed for hunting. The 10/22 will also work, just saying, it's not my #1 choice. I think it's the go-to in these discussions because it's so common and such a known quantity, and because there are a lot of ways to customize them. If you aren't interested in customizing it, there are plenty of options to consider.

But ... an MP5 clone in .22LR would not be one of those options, in my mind. That's more of a fun plinking gun, or partial wish fulfillment if you want a real MP5, or perhaps a training aid if you do have a real MP5 if the controls are the same (not that 9mm is that expensive to train with, either). It is not something I'd want to bet my life on, whether for defense, or for hunting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts