Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, it seems my company is relocating me to the Detroit burbs for a few years and I need advice. Looks like my work will be in Sterling Heights and my fiance will be in Dearborn. I need to find a nice apartment between these two locations but that's right in the "hood". I'm not very familier with the area so can anyone give some advice on a good location.

Atleast now we both can can CCW permits. We can finally exercise our 2nd amendment rights :thumb:

·
Registered
638 Posts
We lived in Novi for a while. That was a nice area. Any of the surrounding towns are good too. Livonia or Northville are nice too.

·
Plants don't run!
1,977 Posts
Sterling Heights isn't too bad really. I used to live in the next city over, and am here now from my current residence in Marquette.

Right around Detroit you have Hamtramck which has some really good Polish and other cultural foods, but still seems a bit "hood" to me.

Saint Clair Shores is a little bit farther and is really nice for the most part, starting to get a little worst, but that's what's up with the whole suburbs right now. But still, not bad at all, nice neighborhood for the most part. Takes about 20 minutes from sterling heights to SCS. I even map quested it for you, 22 minutes from there to SCS.

Hazel Park, not incredibly bad for when I was there, I think it can be an OK area but don't trust me too much on that city, haven't been there in a while. There always were "gangstas" at the sporting events in schools.

Eastpointe is south of SCS and a bit closer to Sterling Heights. Not a bad place. There are a couple shady areas but it's not too bad.

Gross Pointe is the super rich city by all of these places, you'll get pulled over if you drive your beater down there (lol...yea personal experience) it's right next to Detroit. Not all of it is crazily priced but the places I like to look at are because, well, they're neat.

Madison Heights: I don't remember how "hood" this city is. It's one of those iffy ones, you know? It wasn't too bad but starting to look like it when I frequented Detroit area more often.

Highland Park I don't like the place, don't remember why. Maybe even no reason.

Anything south of Detroit and Dearborn I'm not too familiar with so can't help you out there. Detroit, yes big bad and scary, but the suburbs aren't ALWAYS horrible, you just have to use your common sense, don't be stupid, and be aware. Also, your CCW will help.:thumb:

Hope that helped you out a bit or something.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
ThoughtfulWolf was pretty much right on. I would say sticking closer to the west side is better. Novi and Northville nice. Stay away from Hazel Park, Madison Heights, too hoody.

Did you say that you have a fiance here? Im confused. Are you two not living together?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We both live together in Illinois. We are both moving to the Detroit burbs this spring.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Be afraid....be very afraid......

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
No one moves TO Detroit. I bet you didn't even have to pay for your uhaul.

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
No one moves TO Detroit. I bet you didn't even have to pay for your uhaul.
I don't know why not...the democrats have run that place for decades and we now see the results.

I know, I know, I know...Sarah Palin did it

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
We both live together in Illinois. We are both moving to the Detroit burbs this spring.
Just curious, Does you and your girlfriend work for the same company or is it just your job thats moving you two?

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
I don't know why not...the democrats have run that place for decades and we now see the results.

I know, I know, I know...Sarah Palin did it
not really. detroit couldn't compete against foreign companies who don't pay well nor provide insurance. eat yer import

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
not really. detroit couldn't compete against foreign companies who don't pay well nor provide insurance. eat yer import
1st "Welcome Back"!!

2nd: Detroits mess goes far deeper than the auto industry. Detroits problems has been for decades corrupt politicans and the latest one was Kwame Kilpatrick who is nothing but a punk thug.

3rd: I don't own an import, I drive a Chevy, my DW drives a Jeep and we have a Ford pick-up.

·
Μολὼν λαβ
596 Posts
As long as you avoid the debris along the roads (and I94) while driving around Detroit, there's nothing else that will pop you.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
1st "Welcome Back"!!

2nd: Detroits mess goes far deeper than the auto industry. Detroits problems has been for decades corrupt politicans and the latest one was Kwame Kilpatrick who is nothing but a punk thug.

3rd: I don't own an import, I drive a Chevy, my DW drives a Jeep and we have a Ford pick-up.
I think you'd be more correct to blame the big three's problem on lazy and inept management.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John, my autographed copy of going rogue will be the first thing packed for the move :)

Saint,
We work for different companies. I don't like being too descriptive but we work in completely separate industries.

I don't have to worry about anyone attacking Detroit. It destroyed itself from the inside out. Only with the thread of annihilation did two of the Detroit three get their act together. I just need to be prepared if/when the utilities fail.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts