Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to post this on the previous thread but didn't want to hijack. My question is the same as Patrick's, except that I wonder what spot you would choose if you could choose from *anywhere in the world.*

Seems like most people recommended places in the US or Canada, but are there other places more remote/hospitable/interesting in, say, Indonesia, Thailand, Peru, or...?

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,806 Posts
Very interesting that there is so Much interest in moving to the wilderness. I have never seen so much interest in this forum as well as in other places as I have seen over the past couple months. Is something going on in the world that people wish to escape or what??

I have traveled all over the USA especially all over the western part west of the Mississippi River. Which there are many nice, remote and beautiful areas but I have never found a better place than this > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

I know many would probably not like it except to maybe visit for a couple days but I have gotten to know that remote area very well and do find it interesting with the abundance of wildlife etc.

I Might want to visit some other exotic "interesting" areas of the world but cannot think of anywhere else I would want to Live permanently except on my mtn place as I have shown with many pics in a few threads.

I would never trust another country to live in for I have heard and read too many things... and even though the USA is losing freedoms it is still the greatest and most free country in the world and hope it always will be.

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
Tough question. I've had some good adventure, so I think I'll just hang out in the states, but near open areas of woods/mtns. But if I had to answer your question outside of here....prolly chile, southern chile, or new zealand 2nd place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive thought about this aswell,

The two spots that look good to me are either north west australia or costa rica.

Personally if money wasnt an issue, I would buy some land in remote north west australia and live there for the rest of my life.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
There are lots of wilderness areas in the US, Canada, Mexico and Central and South America.
But if you want REAL wilderness, go to Siberia, Mongolia, the Caucausus Mountains, Nepal and Bhutan. You can go for years and not see another person if you want to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mtnman Mike: It's just a pleasant form of fantasy, I think, even if, someday, fantasies can become reality. I saw that thread and your mountain retreat looks lovely. I know what you mean about really getting to know the details of a place, loving it, and then preferring it to anywhere else.
Congo, PHogan86, EdD270: Thanks for the good suggestions.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I wouldn't want to move into any wilderness for a year if it wasn't a place I had managed to come to know pretty well by occasional us previously and had strong reason to believe I could stay there in reasonable safety and comfort for an extended period. I sure would pick a place based on a book and map study. I know north Florida as well as Central, Northern and NorthWestern Ontario and Alberta reasonably well and could find places that would fit the bill in all of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a good point, Mike, and one I often think about when I think of primitive people, natives, etc. Their big survival advantage is *familiarity with their surroundings*. Survivalists make a big deal about skills and equipment, but I think this familiarity is much more important.

·
Custom User Title
2,969 Posts
Mexico and Central and South America.
Yeah, but i dont want to get caught between guerrillas and violent drug smugglers :xeye: I imagine they are all over the place in the forests.

Anyways, i wouldnt want to be anywhere with harsh winters. You would need to prepare a ton of food and supplies to wait it out. If you already barely making it by during the summer, how are you going to survive the kinds of winters in canada and alaska?

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I never said it was safe, just that it was wilderness. That's why the maoist guerillas and drug cartels are there, it's too hard for the gov't to get to them. I don't think any wilderness is safe, anyone who goes into the wilderness thinking it's safe, or even benign, is pretty much doomed to die there.
Winters are severe in the south as well in the north, just at different times of year. People in the alaskan bush and Canadian outback live quite will all year round, but it takes work to grow, catch and kill, then preserve, smoke, dry and can all the food needed to get through the winters. On the other hand, summers in tropical regions are brutally hot and humid. I prefer the cold, I can build fire and put on enough clothes to get warm, but whan it's hot, there's nothing you can do but dehydrate and suffer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.