Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the dealio -

I have been going to Walmart and purchasing the Moutain House Dehydrated food. It seemed to be the most cost effective.

I have taken 30 scrambled eggs and bacon

and 60 main meal packs - each pack has 2 servings.

Chicken Breast and Mashed Potatoes

http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant...._Code=M&Product_Code=53170&Category_Code=MHDL

Macaroni & Cheese

http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant...._Code=M&Product_Code=53158&Category_Code=MHDL

Rice & Chicken

http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant...._Code=M&Product_Code=53105&Category_Code=MHDL

Beef Stroganoff w/ Noodles

Chicken Teriyaki

http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant...._Code=M&Product_Code=53124&Category_Code=MHDL

These Entrees are harder to find.

the staples that I see are

Chili mac and Beef
Beef Stew
Lasanaga
Spaghetti -

So Anyways - they are way cheaper at Walmart - the main retail

So here is the issue - I am taking 1 breakfast and 2 entree's placing them into a walmart plastic sack - three high - tying the top so they lay flat - I have your basic Army duffle bag - I make a square i bag on the wall 4 ways and 2 in the middle up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So the bag weighs about 30 lbs. 3 meals a day x 30 days. not exactly 2000 calories per a day but ---

Now I can make a few more of these bags OR

I thought about emptying the contents and repackaging them into a mylar bag sucking the air out and storing the food that way? I am wondering how much weight I would save by losing these mylar bags.. If your wondering why I have them all in these pouches well it is just he way Walmart sells them and well it was at no expense to me - I never really thought that I would need to do this but it has become apparent that food storage is neccessary.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can make more of these setups OR I could take out the contents from the pouches and try to aggregate them into a large mylar bag - Thoughts?

I can fit 90 meal pouches into 1 army duffle - some of you might find that interesting.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I can make more of these setups OR I could take out the contents from the pouches and try to aggregate them into a large mylar bag - Thoughts?

I can fit 90 meal pouches into 1 army duffle - some of you might find that interesting.
id go with the 10# cans. They are nitrogen flushed and should keep for a very long time. Moutain House makes the meals in pouches and cans, the pouches exp date is a couple years, the cans are 25 (I think).

The cans are more cost effective.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Once you start buying mylar bag and o2absorbers you begin to negate any cost savings. I wouldn't mess with the orginal package. I don't know quite what you are trying to do. Is it a storage problem? I use totes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
basically - The food is at no cost to myself and this is how I am getting it from Walmart -

taking the food out of the original packaging and putting it into say a larger bag or can - I was aonderign how much weight I woudl save nad if anyone thoughbt it would be a worthwile endeavor - so taking into account 90 meals of this stuff at 30 lbs in weight.

Soooo - should I just stay with it this way - in the ole army duffle or take the contnets out and repackage to save weight?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had lost my job and I applied for the EBT - not really needing it and I just use it solely for this project

·
Station 44 - Ladder 751
400 Posts
Ya im wondering the same thing, how the hella are you getting all those at no cost to you??

I would just leave it how you have it... You might risk contaminating the food with germs or whatever else. They last for a good 7 years, but we all know thats really around 14 years.

If you need to bug out you can just throw that bag on your back and be good to go...

As far as #10 cans, yes you can find them but they are still so far back ordered that alot of the prices you see on ebay and such will be alot higher than usual due to such high demand.

But ya like i said what your doing is fine.. If you can find #10 cans just buy those as well, have a variety.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I have been buying Mountain House meal packages too. The packages have a shelf life of 3 to 4 years. I use them up before they go bad. I also give them to the grand kids as presents. They like to try them out.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Ya im wondering the same thing, how the hella are you getting all those at no cost to you??

I would just leave it how you have it... You might risk contaminating the food with germs or whatever else. They last for a good 7 years, but we all know thats really around 14 years.

If you need to bug out you can just throw that bag on your back and be good to go...

As far as #10 cans, yes you can find them but they are still so far back ordered that alot of the prices you see on ebay and such will be alot higher than usual due to such high demand.

But ya like i said what your doing is fine.. If you can find #10 cans just buy those as well, have a variety.
Cabella's had some on their shelves.. Bought em too! :D:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jrd505 - Another thought I had wa to extend the life of the food - to put them into another larger mylar bag.. just thinking ....

a way to do this might be? USMC ILBE Mac Sack Seal Line Waterproof Bag - 65 Liter

a few oxygen sensors
with the EBT option I was not sure where else I could use it that accepted that? I am basically gaming the system at this point but why ruin a good thing

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
If you repack them into new mylar bags, use an O2 absorber. A vacuum won't buy you any more time than what they have now, if that. Vacuum sealing doesn't remove enough O2 for true long term storage. That's why they use O2 absorbers in the #10 cans. As for weight savings, probably not enough to be worth it.

·
Libertarian
2,794 Posts
the concept was someway of extending the 5 year life -
Hi-
On youtube there is a series by Zombie Tactics (I understand he's a member of this site) The series is called food prep for the lazy late and cheap. Anyway-#10 in the series shows how to take a Knorrs side dish and extend its shelf life. He discusses Mountain House during the presentation-it's valuable information!:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bag 2 packed - again 1 breakfast and 2 entrees x 30days(bags) works better when you roll up the top of the entree bag to match the length of the bacon and eggs bag - third to last pic shows you how this fits into a square into the Duffle

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
My understanding is that the Mountain House products are in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers enclosed at time of purchase.

Yep they are already in a mylar bag and have an O2 absorber in them. Taking them out of their original package would be a waste of time and money.

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
MH is claiming their mylar pouches are good for 7 years stored properly! I have several of those along with buckets of mylar packed food from Costco that claim 20 years of shelf life! I think temperature has more to do with storage longevity than any thing else! JMO

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Have you figured how much water you need for these meals and how you're gonna carry it?
To me you're kinda asking like you could take soup out of can to put in mylar bag to save weight?
Too much work for no better shelf life.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts