Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your preference between the two (or others)?

Anyone who has tried both notice any differences or is one freeze dried food just as good as the next?

Pricing?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Contact AlpineAire and ask them for a guarantee in writing that they are in deed now FILLING their cans to at least the top ring.

I posted pics on Frugals a few years ago of this- I bought probably 12-15 cases of Alpineaire in 96. We started using some of it shortly thereafter. First can I don't think we even noticed that it was HALF FULL (or half empty depending on your outlook on life :D: ). After the 3rd can I called the company, we actually were a "distributor" but thankfully hadn't sold much of it (due to the cost). Our rep at the company told me this total Bravo Sierra story about how the cans are half full so that "you can use the can as a cooking pot if you need to."

Well geee, frickin thanks! I mean really, you spend $30. for a can of "gourmet" survival food and then the [email protected]#$ thing is only HALF FULL?

I was told that we could order the "maxi fill" cans for approximately $5. more PER CAN. Sorry, not paying extra to have someone do the right thing...

At that point I told them to cancel my account.

In 12 years we have went through probably a couple of cases of the stuff- it was so flipping expensive it kills me to use it!!! Anyways, EVERY can we open is only HALF FULL.

To be honest, when we do open a can of it, it's either A. I'm home alone and I'm lazy :D: or we open something like the Shrimp Primavera and put a couple of large spoonfuls into the boiling water before we put the rice in. The spices, shrimp, veggies, etc. add some flavor and uumph to the rice.

I would buy Mountain House. To be honest, I haven't used a significant quantity of Mt. House (I'm cheap so we eat cheap), but every can we have used (probably a couple dozen) has been FULL and the stuff is good tasting.

We don't buy the staple type items or veggies, fruits, in freeze dried. It's just too expensive to do it that way- dehydrated is cheaper. Freeze dried is best for the ready made "meals" type stuff and to get REAL MEATS into your food storage program.

Good luck!
Lowdown3

·
Registered
371 Posts
Lowdown3,
Thanks for the info about the quantities in the cans! I've never ordered their large cans before, only their packets, which I use for backpacking.

I prefer the AA to MH because there is less salt added. I had been considering buying their larger cans, but I may reconsider now :(

Good to know- thanks!
Perkolady

·
Registered
350 Posts
I personally prefer to keep MRE's around (about 8 cases of them). The ones I prefer are the EverSafe ones from Wornick or any current issue US Military MREs (same as the EverSafe ones, just in the mil packaging). They're the same ones the military currently gets, just in civilian packaging and without the U.S. Gov Property printed on the boxes. I've eaten a number of these, and honestly, I think their pretty good (definitely a million times better than the old MREs the gov used to use). The food tastes pretty good, doesn't "back you up" like the old ones did.

--Wintermute

·
Endure-Adapt-Overcome
332 Posts
Mountain House is the best on the market. I have over a 100 #10 cans and everyone of the item I try is as good or better than the last.
If your in the buyers club at Sportsman's Guide you can get some of the MH #10 cans for around $17.99 to $34.99. It's some of the best money I have spent. The Date to use by on my last group of MH was 2033.

·
Registered
525 Posts
another mountain house vote

I like Mountain House, though it is getting pretty expensive, they all are. I do like looking at the best-by-dates stamped on the cans, like "best by 2032", wow.

The last time I tried Alpine Air it was OK, no complaints, but they did not advertise that long of a life, may be different now.

I recommend you buy a small sample of each and try it first if you want. Only buy what you like and really want to eat.

Freeze dried food sure takes the drudgery out of food rotation if you can afford it. I bet a lot of us have lost food because we just could not keep up with our rotation ritual. I still do long term bucket food storage, canned goods you name it, not all my eggs in one basket.

·
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. Sounds like the winner is a resounding Mountain House.

I didn't think about it till after I posted the questions, but where do you guys order yours from? I noticed MH sells it directly and then there are places like the Freeze Dry Guy, Survival Acres, etc. They all seem to be about the same price.

Any benefits to ordering from any particular place?

·
Registered
79 Posts
IN the company I worked for in the early 80s we bought several tons of Mountain House for us to use in Uganda where we were going to be for several years. We ate like kings and had their complete menu of selections. It tasts good and is very nutritious. Each site had a 40 foot Connex packed full of it and we had 3 sites at that time. In the 3 years I was there I never heard anyone complain. My favorite was the Turkey Tetrazini and the chilli Mac. Oh yes I cant forget their NY Strip steaks either. We cooked up meals and envited local dignitaries for dinner and they had no clue it was freeze dried. They loved it as well. Once word got around we found we could trade it for gasoline, Diesel, and Cigaretts locally too.

I currently buy their 72 hour emergancy packs just to keep on hand here in Florida. I wouldn't think of not having a dozen boxes in the garage, just in case we get another hurricane Andrew.

Scotty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts