1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received this from Mountain House since I'm on their mailing list:

Dear Valued Customers:

We regret to inform you Oregon Freeze Dry cannot satisfy all Mountain House
#10 can orders and we have removed #10 cans from our website temporarily.
The reason for this is sales of #10 cans have continued to increase. OFD is
allocating as much production capacity as possible to this market segment, but
we must maintain capacity for our other market segments as well.

Currently we are able to meet demand for Mountain House pouches and most of these
products are still available for purchase on our website. Some of our dealers
still have Mountain House #10 Cans available and you will need to locate them and
contact them directly.

We want to clarify inaccurate information we've seen on the Internet. This
situation is not due to sales to the government domestically or in Iraq. We do
sell products to this market, but we also sell other market segments, including
Ingredients and Private Label markets. The reason for this decision is solely
due to an unprecedented sales spike in #10 cans sales.

We expect this situation to be necessary for several months although this isn't
a guarantee. We will update this information as soon as we know more. We
apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We sincerely
hope you will continue to be Mountain House customers in the future.

OREGON FREEZE DRY INC.
CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT
1-800-547-0244

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
We want to clarify inaccurate information we've seen on the Internet. This
situation is not due to sales to the government domestically or in Iraq. We do
sell products to this market, but we also sell other market segments, including
Ingredients and Private Label markets. The reason for this decision is solely
due to an unprecedented sales spike in #10 cans sales.

so whos watching the survival boards to inform them that we have been talk about such things i wonder?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also just received this from the Ready Store which is where I've bought some Mountain House food in the past:

Friends -

We are coming to the end of a very busy summer here at www.TheReadyStore.com. With the current state of the economy and other world events, it seems that emergency preparedness has been on everyone's mind. World affairs have also had a tremendous impact on prices. That being said, there are a couple of news items and insider information I want to pass on to our ReadyNation members:

1. Mountain House Price Increase - starting August 1st Mountain House is increasing their wholesale prices by 10% across the board. Like all manufacturers, they have experienced increases in food and fuel prices that have forced them to increase prices. We have made every effort to keep our prices as low as possible, but unfortunately we will need to pass on this price increase to our customers. So we are giving our ReadyNation members advanced notice that this price increase will go into effect on the website on August 8th. If you are looking to order Mountain House freeze-dried food, now is the time to do so before prices go up by 10% on August 8th. The coupon code MOUNTAINHOUSE will be available from the 8th-15th that will give you 5% off the increased prices, but this discounted price will still not be as low as current prices, so check out our current Mountain House Freeze-Dried Food selection online today.

[clipped out non-relevant material not related to this and previous discussions]

Finally, let me dispel a few rumors that we keep hearing:

Rumor #1: Mountain House isn't selling food in #10 cans until 2009. This is absolutely false. They are making food, and, as one of their major distributors, we are still receiving deliveries of that food on a weekly basis. What has changed is that Mountain House is no longer selling direct on their website and they are no longer selling to many of the smaller distributors that they once had. We are a major distributor and we have Mountain House products coming in all the time.

Rumor #2: The reason there are freeze-dried food shortages is because the United States Government is stockpiling food. Again, absolutely false. The governments purchases have been no different this year than in year's past. What has changed is that more people are nervous about our current economy, rising food and oil prices and the average consumer is looking to get prepared.

Again, we have freeze-dried food coming in all the time. Currently, due to very high demand, it is taking us longer to get it shipped out to you, but you will get your food. As always, I will do my best to keep you informed. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help you and your family prepare.

Thank you!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I just bought...errr a friend of mine just bought alot of Mountain House stuff from Emergency Essentials (www.beprepared.com) They have a full stock of Mountain House #10 cans (all varieties) and plenty of Butter Powder that the "govermnment" didn't buy right off the docks (ha)

Check it out for yourself. :)

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
i've noticed that my normal supplier for MH packets has switched to backpackers pantry.....decent stuff but you lose about 3 years on the marked shelf life

·
Registered
571 Posts
I just bought...errr a friend of mine just bought alot of Mountain House stuff from Emergency Essentials (www.beprepared.com) They have a full stock of Mountain House #10 cans (all varieties) and plenty of Butter Powder that the "govermnment" didn't buy right off the docks (ha)

Check it out for yourself. :)
Here as well. We ordered some more #10's late last week and got a shipment in Wednesday. Everything was there. Also snapped up on their mre cracker deal, 30 packs for 10 bucks when you buy in bulk. That and cheese or peanut butter, about the only things I looked forward to in mre's when I was in the field with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Here as well. We ordered some more #10's late last week and got a shipment in Wednesday. Everything was there. Also snapped up on their mre cracker deal, 30 packs for 10 bucks when you buy in bulk. That and cheese or peanut butter, about the only things I looked forward to in mre's when I was in the field with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.
Yeah, we...my friend rather, stocked up on the Butter Powder special (6 cans at a reduced price) My friend got his yesterday and it was all there...or so he told me. :)

To me, Emergency Essentials is the best place to order from. Prices are great and shipping costs are virtually free. They have my business!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Would Uncle Sam let them publize large purchases if they were being made ?

NO ! Its the " PANIC " you know.

So if any vendor is doing business with Uncle, they WILL do it Uncle's way .

How many more consumer customers has Mountain House had since Jan 1st 2008 and just how large are those orders ?

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Would Uncle Sam let them publize large purchases if they were being made ?

NO ! Its the " PANIC " you know.

So if any vendor is doing business with Uncle, they WILL do it Uncle's way .

How many more consumer customers has Mountain House had since Jan 1st 2008 and just how large are those orders ?

I agree.

How much of an increase in sales would be required to account for the rest of 2008's production and ALL of 2009 to be sold out in just a matter of weeks? After all they were advertising a 4 to 6 week wait right up until they suddenly ran out of the stuff.

·
Does not play well
1,511 Posts
Sounds like a line from a Jerry Young story. 'The major internet suppliers of LTS food and freeze-dried food started delaying shipment on orders and rejecting new customers...'

Don't know whether this is good as more people are doing something, or bad in that everyone sees what is coming...

I just hope OFD spools up production.

(On a related note: Mountain house has a longer shelf life than what they claim. My family bought alot of freeze-dried milk back in the mid 70's and it is still prefectly good 32 years later.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts