Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
searched the site before I asked/posted this. Either searching incorrectly, or no one is talking about it.

Does it seem like MH #10 cans are becoming more easily available, and cheaper?

Just noticed that cabelas has them in their bargin cave at relatively decent prices (especially for cabelas).

I would think that if MH cans are still difficult to come by, the last place they would be, is in their Bargin Cave.

Wondering if:

a)the rush is over?
b)people are stocked up on what they want?
c) people are running out of money, and not spending anything?

Thoughts? Comments?

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Perhaps. These things go in waves.

Reactions: Crutch

·
Registered
389 Posts
The problem with the 10# is once they are opened they have only a couple weeks of life left in them.

However; yeah I am seeing even the 2 serving back on the shelf. Although they seem to be higher.

Although started making my own dried meals and no longer get the nasty crash. Granted they will not stays for years sealed but for camping and backpacking it is nice to have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the 2 serving packages are now fully stocked locally. Before, they were hard to come by. Now, the shelves are overflowing with them.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
The big part of the rush was caused by large government orders. Those orders might have been filled and the food is becoming more available again. I don't know for sure. The same thing happened with the ammo industry a couple years back when the military put in large orders.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
I don't know about you but I have a few friends that have been waiting for a while to get. They wont part with there money until its ready. There afraid of being without. Not sure if banks will stay open in time. I don't know I figure if you don't order you don't get but thats just me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Where do you get that? The freeze dried foods have 6 months to a year after opening. Even longer in a dry climate.

From their site:
After opening, we recommend using the contents within 1 to 2 weeks for best results and taste; using the convenient resealable plastic lid between uses. Treat any leftover food as you would fresh food.

Along with most other sites on the internet who sell them will tell you use within a couple weeks after opening.

Would be curious if you have any personal experience because I tried some after a month and it tasted horendous and smelled spoiled. It was stored in a 65 degree room with little to no light too.

·
Registered
695 Posts
individual food items, such as say, blueberries, will last a yr or more once the can is opened.
meals, such as the lasagna and beef stroganof and others, once opened must be eatin within one or two weeks.

·
Registered
798 Posts
individual food items, such as say, blueberries, will last a yr or more once the can is opened.
meals, such as the lasagna and beef stroganof and others, once opened must be eatin within one or two weeks.
I left the Chili Mac open for almost a month... just had a bit of a stale texture to it. It didnt mold or anything. I think that one two week period is for "taste quality". As long as you keep it sealed with the lid and out of high humidity it should be good for at least 30 days.

·
On the way to the gallows
4,544 Posts
From their site:
After opening, we recommend using the contents within 1 to 2 weeks for best results and taste; using the convenient resealable plastic lid between uses. Treat any leftover food as you would fresh food.

Along with most other sites on the internet who sell them will tell you use within a couple weeks after opening.

Would be curious if you have any personal experience because I tried some after a month and it tasted horrendous and smelled spoiled. It was stored in a 65 degree room with little to no light too.
We have the same experience but we live in a very humid environment. We're lucky to get a week from an opened can of MH Turkey Tetrazzini before it swells up and sticks together (with the lid attached).

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was focused more on the meals. I keep forgetting they have sides but then again we dehydrate and seal our own.

·
68,758 Posts
From their site:

Would be curious if you have any personal experience because I tried some after a month and it tasted horendous and smelled spoiled. It was stored in a 65 degree room with little to no light too.
I have lots of personal experience with opened FD entrees. I ate my way through a one year supply once many years back and use them for camping to this day. In fact, I've been using them for camping since I was a teen. I used to buy the #10 cans back then, pack some for hiking and leave the rest of the can to use for my next trip. If you're having staleness issues, it's because of humidity. They need a tight lid to keep it out the best you can.

Their recommendation of 2 weeks isn't because that's all they will last. It's because that's how long they will taste freshest under the harshest conditions. I.E. they'll taste best "at least" that long under bad conditions. Longer under better conditions.

Kept dry, they will last far longer. In fact, kept dry, they can't rot or spoil because dry foods don't support bacterial growth. But the flavor of entrees starts to get a bit stale because the essential oils in the spices start to evaporate out and/or interact with O2.

In my dry climate, entrees in opened #10 cans taste the same after 4-6 months as they did at opening. At a year, they are starting to go bland and a bit stale but still edible. Individual ingredients such as corn or peas are fine the entire time as long as they stay dry. And my summer storage temperatures can be quite high because I don't use any climate control here in hot west Texas.

Either way, since freeze drying doesn't "shrink" the food like dehydration does, there isn't a whole lot of servings in a #10 can anyway. Even a small family will eat that can well within it's limits if that's the main foods they are using.

·
68,758 Posts
We have the same experience but we live in a very humid environment. We're lucky to get a week from an opened can of MH Turkey Tetrazzini before it swells up and sticks together (with the lid attached).
Some things are problematic that way. I have the same problem with tomato powder, even though my climate is quite dry.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,826 Posts
From their site:

these are printed on the cans themselves as well... you beat me to it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have lots of personal experience with opened FD entrees. I ate my way through a one year supply once many years back and use them for camping to this day. In fact, I've been using them for camping since I was a teen. I used to buy the #10 cans back then, pack some for hiking and leave the rest of the can to use for my next trip. If you're having staleness issues, it's because of humidity. They need a tight lid to keep it out the best you can.

Their recommendation of 2 weeks isn't because that's all they will last. It's because that's how long they will taste freshest under the harshest conditions. I.E. they'll taste best "at least" that long under bad conditions. Longer under better conditions.

Kept dry, they will last far longer. In fact, kept dry, they can't rot or spoil because dry foods don't support bacterial growth. But the flavor of entrees starts to get a bit stale because the essential oils in the spices start to evaporate out and/or interact with O2.

In my dry climate, entrees in opened #10 cans taste the same after 4-6 months as they did at opening. At a year, they are starting to go bland and a bit stale but still edible. Individual ingredients such as corn or peas are fine the entire time as long as they stay dry. And my summer storage temperatures can be quite high because I don't use any climate control here in hot west Texas.

Either way, since freeze drying doesn't "shrink" the food like dehydration does, there isn't a whole lot of servings in a #10 can anyway. Even a small family will eat that can well within it's limits if that's the main foods they are using.
Each their own but I know from my experience and a couple other people I could definitely taste a negative difference after a month. Still was edible but was getting harder to choke down. I did not have the same reaction when I first opened it.

All my supplies are stashed in a low humidity, dark room that is kept at 62 degrees according to the air coniditoner that is dedicated for that room (beer brewing room so need to make sure temp stays low).

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
From my experiences, there are shortages of everything from time to time.

In the mid-1990s it was primers for reloading. There were rumors going around that the government did not want people reloading their own ammo.

Early 2000s there was a shortage of strike anywhere matches.

2009 there was a shortage of squash seeds.

Last year (2010) there was a shortage of cucumber seeds.

Hopefully the rush on mountain house foods is over and we can start buying again.

·
68,758 Posts
Each their own but I know from my experience and a couple other people I could definitely taste a negative difference after a month. Still was edible but was getting harder to choke down. I did not have the same reaction when I first opened it.
Some of it could be personal taste also. I really despise the entrees. So it could be that I don't dislike them any more than I normally do until they start to taste noticeably foul.

But I also have heard and seen a lot of comments similar to mine as far as their shelf life opened. So it looks like there are definately some differences in all of our experiences.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts