Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fan that use for drying out floors and circulate air. I plugged it in started to hum, but the motor doesn't turn. It was exposed to a lot of sheet rock dust don't know if that was the cause?

Is there any way to repair something like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
You can't turn it over by hand or it does turn freely? Possible bearing is burned out. Possible needs new starting capacitor. No idea what costs are on that and whether repair is worth it vs replacement.
Doubt it has a starting Cap. Those things look low HP, and the fake. Hp rattings on them almost guarentee a universal motor.

see if you can spin the fan with a wood dowel. Disposable chopsticks are apre perfect. If not you can disassemble and clean.

Alao look for an electrical problem - many of these use a GFCI. Switchs, wires could be burned up.

·
Michigander
1,287 Posts
It might just need a drop or two of very fine oil like Sewing Machine Oil, or Gibbs on both ends of the shaft. WD40 is 3rd choice. There MIGHT even be oil ports. Look for a small hole, or a little pipe, maybe a cap that flips open.

Especially if it "hums" but won't run. Seized up from getting too hot.

Probably have to take the plastic shroud off, but you should be able to place a SMALL amount, like 2 drops, on the ends.
Then UNPLUGGED, turn the blade by hand.
As it frees up, add another drop or two. It SHOULD spin.
THEN plug it in, see if it runs.

Most of the time that will get you going.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
57,362 Posts
I've seen various fans with debris (hair, thread, dust, dander, etc.) wrapped around the fan's axle that will hinder movement. Knowing me ... I'd just take it apart, clean all the moving parts, lubricate the moving parts, and put it back together. If it still doesn't work ... I'd toss it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
It might just need a drop or two of very fine oil like Sewing Machine Oil, or Gibbs on both ends of the shaft. WD40 is 3rd choice. There MIGHT even be oil ports. Look for a small hole, or a little pipe, maybe a cap that flips open.

Probably have to take the plastic shroud off, but you should be able to place a SMALL amount, like 2 drops, on the ends.

I will 2nd this.
I have an old box fan that didn't turn.
I dripped oil along the shaft and it has run for another 20 years ever since.

·
Twisted, sick, smart***, occasionally sarcastic...
1,528 Posts

I would add that I also study the bushing (probably not a bearing) and drill a hole in the "right spot" so life is easier the next time it happens. I seldom buy a motor, can usually fix them.

Reactions: M92PV4U

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help! The fan turns manually when I push it seem smooth to me.
It is not stuck anywhere the switch is good, or I would have nothing. The trouble shoot list said capacitor. So I tested it following online instructions. However, I don't know too much about it. Could you tell me if the test conducted looks correct? I will post pics.

·
Desperta Ferro!
2,295 Posts
Not oil, it typically attracts dust.
Try a dry lube like graphite.

I second the ball bearing probability.
That is typically the most common cause of electric motors not spinning. I would hazard a guess that the fine dust particles got into the area housing the bearings.

You could try using an air compressor to blow out the inside of the case to remove as much foreign matter as possible, then try using the graphite lube on the bearing area.

You may have to manually rotate it a few dozen times to get it to spin properly, but if I were in your shoes, that's what I'd do.

Good luck! Please update & keep us posted on your maintenance, I'd be interested in hearing what you do to fix that device.

·
Desperta Ferro!
2,295 Posts
That's a 5 microfarad, 10,000 volt cap.
It appears to be dielectrically passing current, and you are on your capacitance scale, depicting 5 uf.

My guess is that component is good, but swapping it out would be the sure way to tell.

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it looks like I tested it correctly, thanks! One thing I put a screwdriver across the terminals. Thought I would get a spark but nothing happened. I THOUGHT THAT WAS WEIRD. I spin the motor by hand feels smooth to me.

·
Desperta Ferro!
2,295 Posts
One other thought occurred to me.
Perhaps the motor brushes are covered in that drywall dust.
I've got a hunch that dust is the underlying cause.
If you do have a portable air compressor, I recommend disassembling the unit as others said previously, then blowing it all out as a first step.

·
Retired curmudgeon
24,128 Posts
I did both on and off it hums but no movement .

If the motor is of the type that has a centrifugal switch to switch out the capacitor after starting, the switch might be bad. Looking at your pictures of the capacitor I see two wires still connected to it. The switch would be normally closed and you should not see 5 microfarads with the cap connected to the motor. The cap has to be removed from the circuit to measure its value.

Switch Sc should be shown normally closed which opens after the motor reaches 75%.

·
Registered
23,225 Posts
definitely agree with trying to clean it out and manually turn it. have brought many dead fans back to life this way.

Reactions: M.O.A.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts