Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to go to the bank periodically with a $100 bill and get coins for it, what would be the most valuable coin? I thought I have seen people talk about how todays nickel is the most valuable as far as raw material. Is this correct? Obviously I would need less quarters if I got them. Probably I should diversify between quarters, dimes, nickles?.......half dollars (would the bank do that)...should I bother with pennies?

Thank you

·
Good Guy
97 Posts
I was wondering about keeping cash at home, would the bank give me neatly bundled singles that stack neatly in a small place and how much are they willing to part with at once......100......I'd like to have 1000 in singles is that going to raise some shade of a red flag. I think that would come in handy soon after an event because you may have problems getting change for your big bills.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wouldn't a mix of bills be better than all small bills, I had once thought that, if lets say water was $20 a gal, and some guy on a truck was selling it and was being mobbed he wouldn't have much time to count singles or to give change, so who ever was waving a twenty or two tens would get his attention first, but a guy who was selling his truck might want larger bills. So I'd do it like monopoly money, a good mix but a smaller portion of large bills and some PM's for holding onto wealth. I use coinflation.com to give me a value of change. I think pennies are worth $0.0289734 each and nickels are $0.0664347 each but it changes daily. Those are the best bang for your buck.
P.S.
TCF banks don't charge, I get $2,000 in half dollars from them sometimes.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
......should I bother with pennies?
I don't think you should be bothering with coins,at all. Are you expecting to be on the run from the JBT's, surviving on what you can get from vending machines ? Our circulated coins haven't been made of gold,silver,nickel and copper for some time now, they've been INTENTIONALLY made to be worth as little as possible without being made of paper ;).
I do see the value in having a decent stash of small bills,though. I lived down in the sunny third-world for many years, and learned first hand what a PITA it could be to only have large bills ( I can't count all the times I saw people jammed up because they only had a $100 bill, or even a $20). My habit there of keeping lots of small bills has carried over to back here in the states. I now have stashed at least a couple hunnerd in crispy,new $1,$5 and $10 bills, and at least a third of the money in my wallet is always in smaller bills.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would mix up the coins predominately Quarters for hedging against the dollar being re-valued. Countries that have in the past usually don't bother with the change. Quarters are the most effective. But I also believe in paper for immediate needs and have only one big bill since a run on a store might not have change available. I keep $500 of each. But this is only for different scenarios, most likely if the economy severely collapses (SHTF) neither will be worth anything not even precious metals until afterwards. I have precious metals too but those are an investment hoping that things will actually return to some normalcy.

So before you save up cash or coins buy the supplies you need. Better to filter your own water than spend $20/gallon as your scenario suggests. Not saying, don't have some cash on hand but spread the wealth and plan for every scenario.

Also, not to be a tin-foil hatter; but be aware that with the right machine they can tell how much is in your pocket because of the embedded strips. Yes, that sounds conspiracy theory but go across the border with $10,000 and see what happens.

In time a nationwide crisis nothing except the neccesities of life will be worth anything. Would you sell your last supplies for an ounce of gold or would you keep that food and last another day?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was wondering about keeping cash at home, would the bank give me neatly bundled singles that stack neatly in a small place and how much are they willing to part with at once......100......I'd like to have 1000 in singles is that going to raise some shade of a red flag. I think that would come in handy soon after an event because you may have problems getting change for your big bills.
Just tell them you're going to the strip club :)

There's a growing movement about saving nickles because they're actually worth like 7.5 cents right now and people are speculating that they will be worth 10 cents in the near future. Go to survivalblog and do a search for "nickels".

I keep cash on hand at all time.. everytime I get paid I pull out $400.00 and stash it. You never know how long the machines will go down for..

·
Organ Donor
827 Posts
Nickels are only worth $0.05 It is against the law to melt them down so the only way to get rid of them is to exchange them to someone for something at face value.

McLOVIN

·
U.S. Air Force Veteran
3,968 Posts
The price of copper now means pre-1982 pennies are almost worth 3 cents each. Getting 100 pennies would yield about in the neighborhood of 25 copper pennies. That would give you a value of about $1.50 for your buck.

75 zinc coins
25 copper coins worth about 75 cents

Nickels are worth more than 5 cents but you would not end up with $1.50 worth of metal.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
I keep cash on hand at all time.. everytime I get paid I pull out $400.00 and stash it. You never know how long the machines will go down for..
Dude, I wish I could pull out $400 everytime I got paid. I don't know what $400 looks like in one place!!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dude, I wish I could pull out $400 everytime I got paid. I don't know what $400 looks like in one place!!!!:thumb:
I sometimes horde my pennies in a big pile so i feel like i have a pile of treasure. turns out a gigantic pile of pennies is only between $20 and $25

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe money will be worthless (other than the metal properties) well, maybe a wheelbarrow full, look at the exchange rate from country to country. just cause we print more/mint more makes it less valuble. you can have $1000 in paper and coin, but, a loaf of bread or some seeds for planting, may be more valuble. who knows.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
, but, a loaf of bread or some seeds for planting, may be more valuble. who knows.
Cost of a 50lb bag of flour and storing it approximately: $25
Cost of yeast, and other ingredients: $5
Trading a loaf of bread for an ounce of silver in the future: Priceless

I do think that PM's are a good investment for the recovery but I'm sitting pretty selling my bread and farm fresh eggs for tangible assets, paper money is and always will be nothing but paper. It doesn't even make good toilet paper. It's only worth an arbitrary figure, in a full collapse that value will plummet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nickels are only worth $0.05 It is against the law to melt them down so the only way to get rid of them is to exchange them to someone for something at face value.

McLOVIN
"According to www.Coinflation.com, the 1946-2008 Nickel (with a 5 cent face value) had a base metal value of $0.0733 in February, 2011. That was 146.7% of its face value. I predict that as inflation resumes--most likely beginning in late 2011--the base metal value of nickels will rise substantially."

"In December of 2006, the US congress passed a law making it illegal to bulk export or melt down pennies and nickels. But once the old composition pennies and nickels have been driven out of circulation, that is likely to change. In fact, a bill now before congress would remove pre-1982 pennies from the melting ban. In any case, once the base metal value exceeds face value by about 3X, an investor's market will develop, regardless of whether or not melting is re-legalized. Count on it."

·
Registered
219 Posts
I sometimes horde my pennies in a big pile so i feel like i have a pile of treasure. turns out a gigantic pile of pennies is only between $20 and $25
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS save your change at the end of the day.. Get that cup on the night stand and before you know it you will have a hugecup full of change..

Then search if for pre-64' coins..

Then cash them in for cash. You'd be surprised how fast money adds up. Even if you stash $20 after every payday, before you know it you'll have $100, then $200 etc. Seeing your money pile grow will motivate you to save more and pretty soon you become addicted to saving!

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
My approach was less adorned. Once a day I would walk to the various banks downtown and ask if they had an 50 pieces. I would take them all. That way usually one in ten was one of the 50 pieces that had silver. For a while I had a good connection at a bank and would order $500 of 50 cent pieces and look through them. I always found silver ones, occassionally even S minted ones (which means they were taken out of proof sets.)

·
Registered
998 Posts

McLOVIN
Absolutley correct. I can't believe all the morons who save their pre-64 coins for the silver. It is against the law to melt them down so the only way to get rid of them is to exchange them to someone for something at face value.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts