Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been looking on a lot of knife forums of late and it seems to me that the most sort after knives are the traditional Nessmuk knives,there was one guy i remember making them and he got so inundated that he didn't answer his emails and ive not seen him around since.

The next knife that seems to be very popular is the Ray mears bushcraft type knives,even the clones sell for over £100,but i prefer the Nessmuk type knives myself.

I think im going to make a Ray mears clone and see how much that sells for next and then im going to bang a couple of traditional nessies on the market.

Ive been selling these flint striker knives [pictured below]and have sold all but one which isn't bad when you think about it,thats four knives in three weeks,id say thats a good start.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Good going, buddy. :thumb:

For more traditionally-styled knives, I would agree: Nessies and bushcrafters. Big choppers are also pretty popular in the States and elsewhere it seems...

Other than that, a lot of "tactical" stuff, tantos etc. etc. etc. seems to be popular, you know, for all the tactical missions people are going on in their backyards these days. :rolleyes:

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sticks, are you selling them online? on this forum? where?

Tbull:cool:
Ive sold some on ebay and some through word of mouth,at the moment im setting up my workshop so i should be up and running in a couple of weeks which is good with Christmass coming up.Im going to put a few on Ebay and once i have made enough money ill buy a propane forge and really go for it.

I was laid off from my job some time ago and have been doing a sharpening service in my local area,Im trying to go it alone as im fed up with putting money into the pocket of the boss man and having some poncy prat telling me what to do.:thumb:

Ive been sharpening lawn mower blades,edging shears,chisels,knives,billhooks,what ever really,if it cuts ill sharpen it,ive been getting a very good responce and the work is picking up.

So hopefully with the sharpening service and the knife making ill be doing ok.my wife is in a very good job and i got a redundentcy pay out so we are doing ok but i need my own independence.:D:

The trouble im having at the moment is sourcing good carbon steel and O2 tool steel,also i ordered a leather sheath for my next knife and it was supposed to be delivered friday but didn't turn up so i got in touch with the mail service and they said it would be delivered today but it still has not turned up:mad:so ive been back in touch with them and they have tracked it to the sorting office,were it is sitting now:mad:

So if you want to start your own business be prepared to be messed around and a million obsticals put in your way.:rolleyes:

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Ja a man needs his space and the shed is his castle, I dont have a castle but when you make you forge with the pool table, fully stocked bar and lap dancers I will be doing guided tours of the Sticks knife industries......I accept no cash for doing this... just free knives.(lol)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ive sold some on ebay and some through word of mouth,at the moment im setting up my workshop so i should be up and running in a couple of weeks which is good with Christmass coming up.Im going to put a few on Ebay and once i have made enough money ill buy a propane forge and really go for it.

I was laid off from my job some time ago and have been doing a sharpening service in my local area,Im trying to go it alone as im fed up with putting money into the pocket of the boss man and having some poncy prat telling me what to do.:thumb:

Ive been sharpening lawn mower blades,edging shears,chisels,knives,billhooks,what ever really,if it cuts ill sharpen it,ive been getting a very good responce and the work is picking up.

So hopefully with the sharpening service and the knife making ill be doing ok.my wife is in a very good job and i got a redundentcy pay out so we are doing ok but i need my own independence.:D:

The trouble im having at the moment is sourcing good carbon steel and O2 tool steel,also i ordered a leather sheath for my next knife and it was supposed to be delivered friday but didn't turn up so i got in touch with the mail service and they said it would be delivered today but it still has not turned up:mad:so ive been back in touch with them and they have tracked it to the sorting office,were it is sitting now:mad:

So if you want to start your own business be prepared to be messed around and a million obsticals put in your way.:rolleyes:
You sell on ebay? I'd love to buy from you man your knives look fantastic! What should I look up on there to buy one?

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You sell on ebay? I'd love to buy from you man your knives look fantastic! What should I look up on there to buy one?
Thanks Bro.

Ive not got any on ebay at the moment as im in the middle of setting up my work shop but as soon as i start making again ill let the folks here know because im going to be selling them on ebay and direct to folks that want them.

A few of the new breed of English knife makers have built up there reputation selling on Ebay in the bushcraft section so i will have to target this market.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts