Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I drink evap in my coffee and we drink a large can of pineapple or orange juice a week. We have almost as many church keys stashed in as many places as p38s.
Yep, a couple of punches with a church key is the way you opened any canned liquid to avoid a mess. A manual can opener and a church key were absolute kitchen essentials everyone had back in the day. (Now, if you had a corkscrew as well, that meant you were either first or second generation from southern Europe or hoity-toity, lol.)

In these days of pull tabs, pop tops, and screw caps, I'm not sure younger folks know what to do with any of those. Probably would puzzle them as much as deciphering something written in cursive, telling time from a mechanical watch, or operating a dial telephone.

·
Retired curmudgeon
24,612 Posts
I'm pretty sure most under 40 have never seen much less used one of these.

View attachment 467240
Most people under 40 don't know cars have oil in them.

I ran across a video the other day of a couple trying to inflate the tires of their Tesla with propane at a propane filling station. The guy filming it tried to explain that you don't do that and the other guy couldn't figure out why the hose wouldn't mate up with his tire valve stem.

Here it is:

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
14,901 Posts
Most people under 40 don't know cars have oil in them.

I ran across a video the other day of a couple trying to inflate the tires of their Tesla with natural gas at a natural gas filling station. The guy filming it tried to explain that you don't do that and the other guy couldn't figure out why the hose wouldn't mate up with his tire valve stem.

I tried to find the video, but no dice.
the stupidity of some people I guess..... :unsure:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Where's the matching lid for that can of evaporated milk after you've punched the two holes in the top? ;)

ETA: Yes, there's still one of those evaporated milk can covers in my kitchen, not to mention a two-ended church key (a really fancy one with a foldout corkscrew as well, lol). :)
Reminds me of a trip I made to the principal’s office, in high school. The teacher told us to select a poem, from the textbook, memorize it, and be prepared to recite it in front of the class, tomorrow morning.

I think it was the first time in my little 16 year old, smart ass life that I studied a textbook, from cover to cover. I was trying to find the shortest poem. I found the perfect poem, in my little mind. The title of the poem was “Carnation Milk”. I can still recite it, from memory, even today.
👨‍🎓

“Carnation milk is the best in the land and here I sit with a can in my hand. No tits to pull. No hay to pitch. Just punch a hole in that son of a bitch”.

Needless to say, the teacher was not amused. She had no idea that poem was in the textbook and had no intentions of opening the book, to verify my claim. She promptly instructed me to “march straight to the principal’s office”. I opted to walk to the office, as opposed to marching.

I handed the principal the textbook, showed him the poem and explained the assignment. He called the teacher to get her side. Can you blame him? 🤣 🤣🤣

He then gave me a pep talk on using sound judgement, exercising discretion and making good choices. He went on to explain that just because something is legal, that doesn’t make it right. No punishment followed.

That was probably the only time I went to his office and we didn’t have what he called a “board meeting”. That’s right! They used the good ol’ board of education, in those days. For quite some time afterward, you were reminded of your poor choices, every time you sat down. Oh, the good old days!
😃

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
That’s right. They used the good ol’ board of education, in those days. For quite some time afterward, you were reminded of your poor choices, every time you sat down.
With holes drilled in it to increase velocity. Never met it either (I was in college by the time I was 16 and turned rebellious), but word was you were left in no doubt the vice principal was an ex-marine if you did.

·
1,901 Posts
21 - 40 of 267 Posts