Survivalist Forum banner
241 - 260 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have been buying up boxes of misc. fasteners, bolts, nuts, screws that people have at garage sales for almost nothing. This came in one of the boxes. o_O
I have a hard time with that here as we get so much salt in the air most stuff is pretty rusted out. I've been switching to SS but most of the new SS isn't as high a grade as it used to be. I've gotten pitting on a lot of marine grade SS over the last couple of years thats new and as has everybody else I know "which is why I am always looking for quality old SS, brass, or alumnium".

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't think I paid that much for mine which I carried through high school. I didn't carry it on my hip like a six-shooter like my best nerd friend did. He caught a lot of flack over it.:LOL: In college I was in a required slide rule class which went over the Log Log scales. I already knew how to use the trig ones.

The aluminum Picket ones weren't as smooth as the K&E plastic and wood ones but Picket is what most kids had at the time.

As far as calculators went, I always had HP RPN ones. How many youngsters know what RPN stands for?
Had to look up the HP RPN. Never owned one. Looks Cool
Office supplies Rectangle Font Office equipment Gadget

I had basic calculatorlike this one with an LCD display
Office equipment Electronic device Machine Font Plastic

Just basic addition/subtraction et..
This thing cost over $300 in 1970s dollars

First trick was during the fuel shortage in the 70s
Turn upside down for solution:
(Works better with square fonts)
14215469 x 5 =

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
11,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
My dad had a later version of this that you could attach your electric drill to and make it into a drill press 😃
I have a couple of them somewhere but have regular drill presses now so they seldom are used. Nice for drilling a very good hose on a ceiling or wall. .Never tried it with my cordless drill. the early one had to have a dedicated drill.
The new version comes with a chuck already.

·
Retired curmudgeon
24,542 Posts
Had to look up the HP RPN. Never owned one. Looks Cool
View attachment 468263
I had basic calculatorlike this one with an LCD display
View attachment 468264
Just basic addition/subtraction et..
This thing cost over $300 in 1970s dollars

First trick was during the fuel shortage in the 70s
Turn upside down for solution:
(Works better with square fonts)
14215469 x 5 =
HP made a series of calculators based on that form factor. I had the HP-16C which I used for work. Binary, Hex, Octal etc. It got stolen and a colleague gave me his HP-15C which is the financial version which I still use today.

My first HP calculator was the HP-33C which I also still have but the battery is long dead.

My most recent HP calculator is the HP32S programmable.

By the way, RPN stands for Reverse Polish Notation. The HP RPN calculators don't have an equals (=) button. The TI calculators used algebraic notation which do have the equals button.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I was raised for a stint by my Gramps for a few years. He and his wife were antique collectors and he personally was a Antique restoration expert, not to mention a furniture maker.

Take a guess what the following images are.

View attachment 467824

View attachment 467825

View attachment 467826
Top is a twist grabber of some sort. Not sure of the middle but the bottom was filled with kerosene and when you wanted to light a fire you pulled out the “wand” that had a pumice stone on the end and lit it and put it in the fire.

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
6,859 Posts
You could also open oil cans with it. Dad was too cheap to buy the expensive oil can spout. Nope, a bottle opener and a funnel was good enough for us. If we couldn't find a bottle opener we would just use a screwdriver. Big hole on one side, smaller vent hole on the other, then pour. Dad made that my job.
The gas station i worked at was too cheap to buy the little paper funnels and it took too long to run inside to get the spout, so we learned to aim :) Manager got really mad if we kept a customer waiting or he smelled burning oil on a hot manifold because anyone was careless. those were the days of real full service including free fluid top-offs, so we hauled ass at the gas pumps :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Sorry for the thread derail, but here's a couple of old items most under 40 wouldn't recognize...

View attachment 467835 View attachment 467836
The top one is a bee/bug trap. I have one just like it.
You put some sweet liquid in it, the bees/bugs are attracted and fly in the open bottom. Then they can't figure out how to get out since instinct tells them to fly up, not down.
They work quite well. But I forget to clean it out and it gets nasty with all those decomposing bug bosies in the liquid.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

241 - 260 of 267 Posts