Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
14,931 Posts
Most people under 40 don't know cars have oil in them.

I ran across a video the other day of a couple trying to inflate the tires of their Tesla with natural gas at a natural gas filling station. The guy filming it tried to explain that you don't do that and the other guy couldn't figure out why the hose wouldn't mate up with his tire valve stem.

I tried to find the video, but no dice.
the stupidity of some people I guess..... :unsure:

·
14,931 Posts
I must be an old junk collector. I have 2 of those, one is about twice as long as the other.
I'd offer to buy one from you but with the gf having her hours cut and me fighting with disability there is no money.

·
14,931 Posts
Old Chicago in my early teens , would go camping deep in the woods behind my friends house and they always had plenty at the house around so wouldn't miss a few.
Later teens was Olympia , Dad said you pay for it and I'll get it just have to drink at home.
Hams was like a cartoon on TV as a kid with the bear ...never tried any though.

With the can opener with two punches and then the pull tab for air you could down a beer in about 2 seconds.
Good party trick but you definitely didn't want to use cold beer ..to much of a shock.
we used to poke a hole in the bottom of the can on the side and hold our finger over it, then we would pop the top and turn it up and let go of the hole. That beer would be gone before you could draw in a breath. We called it shotgunning a beer.

·
14,931 Posts
Is Hams still around?
Apparently so:

Font Rectangle Advertising Logo Brand

·
14,931 Posts
I started driving in 1993(16). Dad had one of those oil spouts and a couple of cans of STP Motor oil.

I have never actually used canned oil and I know I was changing oil on Toyota truck my dad when I was in 6th grade. I was pouring Mobile 1, out of bottles, that I presume were plastic bottles.
In my defense, I did say most under 40. I do make exceptions for those that peruse this forum as we seem to be more informed than most of the population, and that includes our younger members.

·
14,931 Posts
I have a Roland MC500 MIDI recorder that uses single sided, single density 3.5" floppy disks.
You can't even find those anymore in normal channels.

My old brown Commodore 64 / 128 (I had both) and my Trash - 80 (Radio Shack TRS-80) both used cassette tapes and 5.25" floppy disks. Nevermind the Commodore expansion memory cartridge that boosted the RAM by a whopping 8Kb.

Kids these days couldn't handle dial up.
Playnet, AT&T, GEnie, Mindspring, TIR, Earthlink and AO-Hell. "You've Got Mail!" Just the sound of dial-up would drive millenials batty.
when I was in college, one of my professors had a hard drive that was 6 feet in diameter and only had about 20 KB of drive space on it. This particular one was dented as the guy who originally was installing it dropped it from a ladder 6 feet in the air. it had about 5 platters on it that were separated by about 6 inches

Eta photo of similar looking hard drive. This is what it looked like but this one is much smaller than the one she had

Audio equipment Record player Electronic instrument Gas Machine

·
14,931 Posts
When I started driving in the 70's, we young folk could only afford older clunker cars from the 60's. They would tend to blow some oil so it behooves one to keep some spare cans of oil and a spout in the trunk.
I know I still have at least one, probably two of them in my garage. Does anyone even sell oil in cans anymore? Or is it all plastic now? It was definitely easier to get oil into the car, and not all over the engine, with the old spouts. Like EPA approved gas spouts, modern does not always equal improved.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
they sell on ebay for around 35 bucks if they are still full. But they are vintage and you wouldn't want to use them being so old.

·
14,931 Posts
Dang! We're all vice principals former marines back then? Some unwritten requirement for the job? Because ours definitely was. He had a helluva swing, too.
One time the VP was out and our wimpy principle had to mete out the justice. It was a walk in the park compared to the vice principles wallop.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
No but my principle was a former marine. He would call me to his office a few times a week trying to get me to snitch on my friends that had weed on them. He would order Pizza from Pizza Hut (when it was still good) and had a 6 pack of beer. He tried everything he could to get me to roll on them and I never caved. He told me after I joined the Army that by me not telling made him respect me that much more. I was really proud that day. BTW, In the Marine Corps, he was Staff Sgt. Ashby, but in high school he was just Principle Ashby.

·
14,931 Posts
If you ever had an Air Force "issued" box lunch (aka box nasty...lol), a church key was put in the box for opening the included can of juice. Would keep one in my shaving kit.
When I was in the service our MRE's were in a thick dark brown plastic bag. The drink came in powdered form. This was '85 to '88. Not sure about before or after that time though. I usually just gave my drink mix away and drank water because unless it was coffee, tea, or hot cocoa, it was nasty tasting. Especially the lemonade.

·
14,931 Posts
Old is When:
You elementary aged daughter asks you what computer you had when you were my age, in there teens they ask about video games and you try to explain pong and they look at you like your kidding or crazy.
When I knew I was was really in trouble was the first time I took my then 6 year old daughter deer hunting and I answered a question with, oh, that was about 20 years ago. Immediately I thought, oh crap, I sound just like dad did when I was her age...
My gf's son has a PS4 and when we show him the graphics we had on the Atari 2600 he goes to me and says "I feel sorry for you guys if that's all you had." I said "why? We had lot's of fun playing asteroids and galaga." He is 16 btw.

·
14,931 Posts
P-38 & P-51, as I recall, came in our C-Rats.
The chicklets and fruit cups were the best items.
The pork meat was disgusting.

Wish I still had a P-38. They are charging around $6 apiece for those .22 cent pieces of metal.
Ebay has a brand new one for $2.38.

·
14,931 Posts
Remember those well! The meatballs with BBQ sauce especially.

Had C-rats as well. Still have a P-38 on my keyring. 😁👍. Not sure I remember if I had a fav. I know one to stay away from...Lima beans with ham. 😲. Ham and MF'ers...🤣🤣🤣
I liked the chicken Ala king and the pot roast the best. But that was before they made the foods with soy this and soy that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts