Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Montani Semper Liberi
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and I have been tossing around ideas for what's the best way to keep track of our supplies. We've discussed spread sheets, word document, note books, pinning the receipts to a cork board, giving each lot of items a UID numbers, using code names (she was being silly with that one), ect.

I was just wondering what all of you think is the best way to keep a hold on what you have.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,764 Posts
Spreadsheet partly, and believe it or not, "maps" of my storage showing where some of the things are, i.e., these buckets are wheat, this bucket is spices, and so on.

Since much of my storage is out of sight, I also take pictures of it so I can remember what it looks like and more importantly, what's there, exactly.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
WOW!!! I'm not even in your league!!!!

All I can do is walk into my store room and see whats there. :(

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've been writing it down in a notebook that is just for our preps, and I have it separated between Med supplies, Food, and Gear, but I'm seeing that I might also need to do a spread sheet. I'm starting to run out of room, and need to think of better ways to store the stuff.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Once you have a consistent pattern of purchase, restock, rotation, etc.

You can just use a printed spreasheet that you can write on to keep track of inventory. Record all additions and subtractions to your inventory on the clipboard. Once a month (or whenever convenient), record changes from the clipboard onto a computer spreadsheet.

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
I type mine and print it out, with all of the info I am learning. Then putting all of it in a plastic sheath writing binder thingy and labeling each catagory.
I also make a list of everything in a box, bin, etc and tape it to the outside of the box with expiration dates. :)

·
1,313 Posts
I made my own inventory sheets anf printed them out back and front. I left the catagory, location, the expiration dates and quantities left blank. That way I have hard copies of the lists for a long time. I protect them with the plastic sheet protectors.
additionally catergories of all my supplies are color coded so I can see them at a glance. My inventory is checked monthly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Though there are free alternatives out there, a combination of Microsoft OneNote and Outlook 2010 help me keep track of all my tasks.

My preparations are sectioned off between those items that spoil, and that which is not perishable. Reminders to rotate and inspect are inserted into my outlook calendar. Integrated into OneNote for everything from item counts and inventory via spreadsheets, to simply adding notations and comments on good brands and 'do not repeat this mistake' tags.

I do not like the idea of relying on technology to such a degree, but while planning for long term storage in this day/age with the complications of day-to-day modern life...do whatever you have to do get the job done.

·
Born to prep
3,596 Posts
Know what you have remember what you have and where it is.

If you write it down you now have a rob me list.

I have preps all over the place some places in my house you can not even walk through.

I can find any thing I need when I need it, I may have to dig for it but I know it is there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts