Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, my back packing tent is pretty big and heavy so i was wandering if you had any cheap, compact shelter ideas that i could make or buy cheap instead of lugging that thing with me. thanks in advance:)

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Lichfield Fox 2 (2 person) cost me just £60, is very compact when broken down (smaller in mass than my sleeping bag as pic shows.) I carry it under the backpack within the shoulder strap slack, but it can also be carried like a case.

The Lichfield Fox 2 is a front entry tunnel design tent offering stability but at the same time light weight. Ideal for trekking and lightweight backpacking.

* The Fox 2 is a tunnel design offering excellent weight to space ratio
* Fire Retardant body, mesh and groundsheet have been treated with a 'Fire Retardant' solution. Meets CPAI-84 Standard
* Protex 2000 polyester flysheet
* Polyethylene 'bathtub' groundsheet on inner tent. Strong, sturdy, maximum protection,
* Fibreflex fibreglass poles - tough, sturdy and reliable.
* Nylon zippered door with mesh ventilation at top - allows easy access as well as outside viewing
* Permanent Polyethylene porch groundsheet - additional protection at entrance.
* The Lichfield Fox 2 has two front vents and one rear vent for maximum airflow and to help reduce condensation.
* Handled carry bag - easy to carry, pack and unpack.
* Other features include: heavy duty polesleeves, inner tent storage pockets, lantern attachment points.

* Flysheet: Protex polyester 2000
* Inner: Breathable polyester with water repellent finish
* Groundsheet: Polyethylene
* Poles: Fibreflex Fibreglass
* Sleeps: 2
* Doors: 1
* Weight: 3.20kgs
* Width: 130cm
* Length: 300cm
* Height: 100cm
* Waterproofing (HH): 2000mm
* Colours: Evergreen/Black piping
* Mesh Doors: 1
* Packed Dimensions: 63 x 14cm
http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/lichfield-fox-2-tent-evergreen-p-1416.html?currency=GBP

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tarp shelters are the lightest for sure they work great and allow a quick exit something hammocks can't but in certain areas hammock shelters are sweet I own one but have to say I feel a little uneasy wrapped up in my sleeping bag and zipped up in the hammock whenever there is a bump in the night! For the price Kelty's Noah's tarp is sweet!

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I love a lightweight tarp. But in bug country, that can sure be misery.
Not to mention snakes.
I keep a tarp as a back up shelter but prefer to have some type of shell to get within.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Tarps or for multi purpose and frugality, poncho check out wildernessoufitters or seanmull on youtube for a sweet sleep system the "Versa Shelter"

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
SPorts Authority may have a couple more of these...got mine on sale for $21.00...plenty of room for me and my dog, and even extra room in the vestibule for gear I wanted covered but not in the tent.

Pitched...it's the one in the center. A cool thing about this tent is it has highly reflective tabs, pulls and markers, so it's easily found in the dark with a headlamp...

Here it is packed...with the stakes bag. The pen is for reference. It's in a compression sack from Mountain Hardware...it cost more than the tent. Inside the tent is ALSO a double size silk bag liner...so you can see it mooshed down pretty darn small...

This is Diego in the tent, wishing he wasn't in the tent.

This is where I eventually let him sleep that night...he likes to sleep guarding outside rather than inside...but there was certainly room for me and a dog or me and a hunny if I hadn't been backpacking with two smelly dudes...at least they had their own tents.

(now play find the .357 and then tell me if Diego enjoyed a bed of poison ivy!)

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
SPorts Authority may have a couple more of these...got mine on sale for $21.00...plenty of room for me and my dog, and even extra room in the vestibule for gear I wanted covered but not in the tent.

Pitched...it's the one in the center. A cool thing about this tent is it has highly reflective tabs, pulls and markers, so it's easily found in the dark with a headlamp...

Here it is packed...with the stakes bag. The pen is for reference. It's in a compression sack from Mountain Hardware...it cost more than the tent. Inside the tent is ALSO a double size silk bag liner...so you can see it mooshed down pretty darn small...

This is Diego in the tent, wishing he wasn't in the tent.

This is where I eventually let him sleep that night...he likes to sleep guarding outside rather than inside...but there was certainly room for me and a dog or me and a hunny if I hadn't been backpacking with two smelly dudes...at least they had their own tents.

(now play find the .357 and then tell me if Diego enjoyed a bed of poison ivy!)

I have come to love those kydex paddle holsters

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use a camo heavy duty tarp hung with 550 , Can be pitched many ways is versatile weighs 2 lbs stakes cord and all. If bugs are a problem I include a stand alone bug screen.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
i carry a pair of ponchos, and an 8x10 taurp that the sleeping bag is wrapped in.

·
Here's Johnny!
306 Posts
The Versi Shelter would be perfect for you. It consist of a tarp/ wool blanket. Watch this short video.
My favorite part of this video is the 1:30 he spent sneaking up on the video camera!

"Gonna stay dry all night?" Not on the downward slope where he put that thing.

Here's what I use:

http://sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=45

Packs down to nearly 1/4 of the size of a Versi Shelter and weighs in right at 2lbs 11oz. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts