Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this Rifle, because I am planning on getting this for Christmas, and I want to know if this was a good .22 kit to buy. (Especially the kit that contains the Scope) Are there any downsides to this Rifle?

·
Registered
51 Posts
No.

The plinkster, in my opinion, isn't even good for plinking.

Let me say I do not own one; my buddy bought one so we could throw around cheaper ammo. I have shot it many times, however, and it's junk.

Compared to my old Remington scoremaster it's a plastic toy. My chief complaints are:
1) The gun feels like it's built poorly; my friend has had several parts (read:magazine and action parts) break
2) For a little more, you could get a rifle that is built better (Remington, Ruget et al)
3) I consider a gun an investment. A firearm, especally a .22 is something I'm going to want to hand down someday. Moreover, it's something I'll shoot often given the cheep ammo. I personally don't feel like the plinkster would be much to hand down, if it even was still workable.

Just my opinion. I'd really check out some of the aforementioned brands. It's all about your budget and what feels right to you! I'm sure some of the other guys will be able to make some brand/model suggestions. (I'm not as well versed on .22 brands)

Good luck!

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
I bought one for my kids. It is not a bad rifle. I only paid $100 for one with a scope, and I think I definitely got my moneys worth.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i bought one 2 years ago at walmart and love it in fact this past christmas i got 2 more at dicks,ive bought extra clips for them and shoot one of them hundreds of times.i have many 22 cals includeing a tricked out 1022 and a all weather stainless 1022 but i like the plinkster a lot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Plinkster

:thumb: I bought 4 of them for my grandchildern at $89.95 each at Walmart and I'm looking at the wood stock with a scope at ****'s it had a price tag of $129.95 and they even come in a bolt action

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
i was thinking of buying like 3 plinksters to hand out at christmas this year, thanx for the input from all. i handled one at chinamart and liked the way it felt. plastic stock, some say chinsy, some say "lightweight". lol. its pretty short too so thats nice. sights are good for a novice/ begginner which is who im buying them for. sure i'd love to buy everyone 10/22's instead, but it aint in my budget, besides these things are gonna sit in closets and colect dust anyways, but i will feel good that i at least tried to protect my family.

·
Farmer/Film maker
206 Posts
Just bought one yesterday and at the counter I just got a lot of scoffs and jeers. I asked what the problem was with them and didn't get any real answer. The main consensus was that they were cheap... and that's all. No stories of inaccuracy, misfiring, or anything that really means that it's a bad gun.

In my opinion, a 22 for 99 bucks (in this day and age) is a good deal. It's not a gun that I would use in a rough and tumble situation, nor would I be too harsh on it but to shoot at crows in the garden it seems well suited.

So are they good guns? Time will tell. If it isn't a great gun, you only lost a little money apposed to buying an expensive piece of crap.

As i finished this comment up i realized that this thread is a year old.

·
Registered
264 Posts
got one for my son have shot about 500 rnds no problems paid about $100 for it i am going to get me one jsut for plinking and having fun do not wantto ruin the 10/22 with alot of plinking all around ok rifle for the money

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had a Plinkster for about 5 years. It is a decent little rifle. The trigger is a bit rough but it is accurate enough. It is not as accurate as my 10/22. If I were going to buy it again, I would ad a little more cash and get a Marlin 60...much better and not that much more money...but... the mossberg ain't bad!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
they may be good they may be not, but for another 50 bucks you can get some that are known to be good if not great shooters. I purchased a Marlin 925 and recently a 981 marlin. Both were around $150 bucks, the 981 used with a Bushnell scope. Both do quarter sized groups at 50 and aren't really ammo picky either.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had my first experience with a Plinkster at the range last weekend (a friend brought it). It wouldn't accept a fully loaded mag so I dropped one round and then it worked just fine. My friend said he's never cleaned it and leaves it in his trunk uncased LOL. It shot fine IMO. I wouldn't swap my Model 60 for it though.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Hope you never have to use Mossberg service.

My 802 Plinkster's front sight broke, under warranty. Took several emails and phone calls to get anything done. Then I receive TWO of them.

Same thing with magazines. Back in Feb., ordered 4. Two weeks, nothing. More calls. Then I got 8. And they didn't bill them. Now, just the other day, I get 4 MORE. This is 6 months after the original order. And they billed this time.

Also, both of the bolt lugs (they call them cross bolts) fell out first time I shot it. Socked them back in with LockTite blue, one comes out no matter what. Finally sent it in.
No notice from Mossberg. Called them after a week. Yep, they have it, "we'll get right on this" - I'll be amazed if it's really fixed. We'll see.

All three occurrences, email was answered 2-3 WEEKS.

I do like the thing, though. I put a $17 scope on it and get nice groups at 50 yards sighted in for that. Not bad for $120 or so, including scope. If the bolt lugs stay in.

- OS

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
i wanted one for fun lol.... untill i saw it was made in a sweat shop in china land.... who knows how the cinese ass wipe put the thing together

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
i wanted one for fun lol.... untill i saw it was made in a sweat shop in china land.... who knows how the cinese ass wipe put the thing together
It's made in Brazil.:rolleyes: It's a cheaper Brazilian copy of a Marlin 795.

Mossberg's customer service has been excellent in my experience...but that was dealing with 500's.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The Chinese make better guns than the Brazilians...My Norinco sks is a testament to that.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Just bought one yesterday and at the counter I just got a lot of scoffs and jeers. I asked what the problem was with them and didn't get any real answer. The main consensus was that they were cheap... and that's all. No stories of inaccuracy, misfiring, or anything that really means that it's a bad gun.
My favorite quote from those dingbats was "Yeah the mini 14 comes in 5.56 and 9mm.":eek:

Or "Any .22 is crap unless it's a $500 cz, you know, you can shoot matches with those things." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
its a good gun. i bought one 2 years ago and its good. it shoots well and takes all kinds of ammo. don't listen to these knuckle heads thats it cheap. i have all kinds of guns and this .22 is good. yes the 10/22 and marlin 60 have more after market accessories if you like to dress your gun up. remember its JUST a .22. here are the guns i own so far. Auto-

Ordnance 1911A1 .45
S&W Model 10 .38 Special
Beretta 21A .22
Kel-Tec P-11 9MM
Walther P22 .22
Cernier 1911 .22 Conversion Kit
Ruger Mini 14 5.56 .223
Remington 870 12ga. Tactical Shotgun
Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently bought one of these. Headspaced at around.082. 22LR should be about .043 give or take a few thou! It seems a functional rifle, once the bugs are out of it. Quite poorly made. The only other gun I own with a bore as rough is a 1943 Mauser and it went through a war- that it lost! While I didnt have high expectations for a $100 rifle I am rather shocked at the loose and indifferent manufacturing this gun exhibits. I had never experienced a case rupture before this gun. (Aside from the excess headspace the firing pin cuts every rim, every time!) I am quite glad that I did not buy one of Mossberg's centerfire rifles! I can only hope that they are better(I wont be taking the chance though) This rifle sure as hell dosen't measure up to my old 640K.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts