Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used this gun for around twelve years and have never met anyone else who has one. I guess it was only made for two years or so and I don't know how many are out there. I absolutely love it... 22in. rifled barrel blasts slugs 150+yds with super accuracy.

In my county, big game hunting has been "shotgun only" until last year... being in the mountains and in lots of thick woods, not much to see past 100yds anyway.

Ammo is NOT cheap for this beastie... Sabot Slugs are going for $12-$15 for a box of five shells, but I can't see giving it up, I love it so! Also, with a projectile like that, you don't need many to do the job.

So, I was just wondering who else, if anyone, has this gun and what you think of it. Even if you don't have one, but know something of it, please let me know... then I won't feel so alone!

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,606 Posts
The Israeli special forces used it before the .50 rifles came along. Stopping cars that blew through checkpoints and strange though it may seem, a sniper rifle. Mossberg has a recall on certain serial numbers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought one the year they came out. A very good gun. Purchased at Walmart and had problems w the safety.it was to stiff or something and on one hunt, it malfunctioned. Was passing it over a fence to a friend and it went off. He was PO'd thinking I didn't put the safety on. When I swore I did, we were both shocked to see the safety STILL on.

I called Walmart,talked to several people and eventually had to call headquarters. They refunded my cash. Was only a week or so later when I saw a recall in a hunting mag concerning the safety.

But, the 695 is an amazingly accurate shotgun. Our target sessions generally consisted of shooting cigarette lighters off of steel drums at 150yds. I will cross paths with another someday at the right time and snag it.

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lakota: I had read something about use of the 695 by police somewhere (maybe some obscure branch of military?) using it in a sniper rifle role in urban environments. I have to say that I would feel mighty confident using it as such.

sniper.22cal: Good to know about the recall. I checked and mine is OK, I guess. Never had any problems with it except for the magazine needed to be slapped in to get it to lock in place... I got it to work smooth, though. Thanks!

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Their affordability makes them a great investment. My concern is the recall.

*Note I said recall not recoil.

Do you think the synthetic barrels reliable
The recall is apparently concerning a certain run of serial numbers, which -while I don't know the details- a list can be found (ran into it somewhere on the net while researching the gun a bit).

They do seem to be affordable... almost more so now then when I got mine new. The expense is in ammo... sabot slugs are going between $12.00 and $15.00 per box of five... and that's all this gun will shoot. The recoil isn't the most painful part of taking this cannon for a day at the range!

Synthetic barrel? It's a rifled steel barrel, far as I can tell. The stock is synthetic. The gun seems to be solid as hell... the action is not perfect, but is not sloppy, either. I might like a heavier barrel, though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ya........ I don't think I would be at the range with this shotty. I'm thinking close quarters, DB in the living room ya know?

·
FANG FACE BULLETS!
476 Posts
Yes I have one. I have had mine for about 3 years now. Great shotgun and accurate HOWEVER, if you dont like recoil dont get this one. It KICKS!! I have noticed, with mine at least, that it loves the Federal Fusion Sabot Slugs. Less recoil from them. Anyway, great deer gun:thumb:

Attachments

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I have one. I have had mine for about 3 years now. Great shotgun and accurate HOWEVER, if you dont like recoil dont get this one. It KICKS!! I have noticed, with mine at least, that it loves the Federal Fusion Sabot Slugs. Less recoil from them. Anyway, great deer gun:thumb:
Ahhh, good to see and glad to hear! Agreed on the recoil... I was thinking of looking into padding for the butt. I know it's pretty wimpy, but after a half dozen shots, it's hard for me to not flinch... have to really concentrate.

I read that, when these guns were sold to law enforcement/military, they were used with a bi-pod and a several pound weight (as if this gun needs MORE weight) to be attached somewhere near the front of the stock, for improving accuracy and, I guess, to reduce recoil :confused: I have a bi-pod, but haven't tried any weight yet. The bi-pod does seem to help with recoil... but, it might just be a case of changing my shooting position.

I don't think I've tried the Federal Fusions, but will look for some and give them a go. Thanks!

·
FANG FACE BULLETS!
476 Posts
Ahhh, good to see and glad to hear! Agreed on the recoil... I was thinking of looking into padding for the butt. I know it's pretty wimpy, but after a half dozen shots, it's hard for me to not flinch... have to really concentrate.

I read that, when these guns were sold to law enforcement/military, they were used with a bi-pod and a several pound weight (as if this gun needs MORE weight) to be attached somewhere near the front of the stock, for improving accuracy and, I guess, to reduce recoil :confused: I have a bi-pod, but haven't tried any weight yet. The bi-pod does seem to help with recoil... but, it might just be a case of changing my shooting position.

I don't think I've tried the Federal Fusions, but will look for some and give them a go. Thanks!
I used to use Brenneke and Hornady SSTs But the Fusion work so much better. I had a Bi Pod on mine but I didnt care for it and really didnt help me at all.

·
Registered
107 Posts
DB? I'm sorry, but I guess I'm not up to par on abbreviations... are you saying you'd want to use it for home defense?
What are you more worried about? Blowing your pictures off your hallway walls; or killing little billy next door? My Glock will stop anyone not wearing kevlar, unfortunately it doesn't stop at soft tissue. I also like to keep a clip with a combo of FMJ and HP's . So a shotty at close range is usually preferrable over the 40 cal.

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What are you more worried about? Blowing your pictures off your hallway walls; or killing little billy next door? My Glock will stop anyone not wearing kevlar, unfortunately it doesn't stop at soft tissue. I also like to keep a clip with a combo of FMJ and HP's . So a shotty at close range is usually preferrable over the 40 cal.
I'm not sure I understand. I never said the Mossberg 695 is MY home defense weapon... I thought that is what you were alluding to, so asked for clarification.

The shotgun we are discussing is not officially a "shot" gun... it is a slug gun. It doesn't eat anything but sabot slugs... that is why I wondered why you would use it for home defense (IF that was what you were saying). I have considered it to be of use for home defense, if I had to shoot through a wall or floor, but at close range, I'd rather use a different gun.

As far as little Billy next door goes, no worries... no close neighbors and lots of trees anyway, but I do see what you are saying. I don't own a handgun and have no real desire to. I thought about getting a .22 handgun for personal defense (don't really need the 'stopping power' unless the attacker is on PCP or something), a .22 would have plenty of 'slowing power' and could easily be lethal if need be.

·
Registered
107 Posts
BTW, and I hope this doesn't get me kicked or banned; but I actually feed the birds, I don't shoot them. I only shoot at things that shoot back. (or have a propensity to self destruct after yelling allah achbah)

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
You may be overestimating the effectiveness of a handgun.

·
Registered
107 Posts
.40 FMJs are great at wall kills. Hell they're great at car kills. And unfortunately, they can killl little billy in his stroller or car seat if billy is unlucky enough to catch a golden B.B. Never underestimate the effectiveness of a Glock .40 cal.

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't have one of those models, but Mossbergs are tough and reliable. They meet Mil-spec right out of the box.
I'll never wear mine out in a lifetime.
I agree. It seems as if it is indestructible... quite a workhorse. The 695 is the only Mossberg I own, but would surely consider another model if I needed one. I have been thinking of a smooth bore (regular) shotgun, one that isn't so fussy about the ammo. The one drawback to the 695 is its limited ammunition... but I suppose that it fills a necessary niche the way it is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts