Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, we all know.. it wobbles, not a big deal but I would like to fix this if I can.

Is there any aftermarket foregrips that won't wobble as much?

or is there anything that can be done to a mossy 500 tube or grip to decrease the play?

(stay outa this 870 fanboys, unless if you have something useful to add)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't found anything that helped. I think that is just how it works. You could try the surefire foregrip with the tacticool light on it. Might still wobble but would be so sweet you wouldn't notice the wobble as much :)

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
I just got tired of the wobble and the overall uncomfortable factor of a vertical foregrip on a shotgun and replaced it with hogue standard fore-end... it handles much better now. To me, foregrips look cool.. but are just not as comfortable or easy to use.

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
Despite the fact that I am an "870 fan boy", and for good reason, I've never seen a fix for the Mossberg Rattle. They never could tighten up their forearm design for whatever reason. Even the "higher end" 590's have the problem. It's just something you Mossberg fan boys have to deal with as far as I know :D

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
It has been a feature, an uncorrected and maybe uncorrectable feature, of Mossberg pump guns since they were first made and that's all you can do about it is grit your teeth when trying to sneak up on a covey or when the birds flare from the decoys when you moved the gun and it clanked...

I know that the Hogue or other replacement grips soften the noise somewhat but the wobble still persists...

There have been letters to the Help sections of every major gun/hunting/shooting magazine out there, for what 45 odd years and nothing has ever been done about by the manufacturer...Not the quality customer management I'd want supporting my purchase but from first hand experience, their customer service dept. is excellent in other model matters...

·
Registered
631 Posts
I didn't buy a MB 500 for that very reason. It seems that the later ones are the worse ones. I went with a H&R Partner Pump instead.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I don't know of any fixed...but with mine I just control the slide so that it makes no noise.

Oh no, hold the forearm, so hard.

·
A Way of Life
1,347 Posts
I haven't found anything that helped. I think that is just how it works. You could try the surefire foregrip with the tacticool light on it. Might still wobble but would be so sweet you wouldn't notice the wobble as much :)
I have that foregrip. The forend still wobbles, but no biggie. The gun works great, that's what counts.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
It's never been a problem for me. So I don't worry about a 'fix'. That's the way they work. Good enough for mil-spec right outa' the box. I kinda like the sound. A bit like the click of an AK safety or sling mount noises. Stuff some rubber or foam material in the spaces if it really irritates you. :)

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
I heard somewhere that Mossberg claims that it is "to aid reliability" as grit, mud and dirt will be less of an issue as there is room for it to keep working,
sounds like an excuse to me...

Reactions: papabrown

·
Registered
109 Posts
Could somebody explain to me what this "wobble" is? You'll have to forgive me I'm an "870 fanboy".

Never thought I would hear nerd language in a gun forum. :rolleyes:

·
*** Bless America
480 Posts
i got an aftermarket fore-grip w/rail for my 870 and it has a little give. The 870 is my first pump so i kinda assumed thats how they all were. Sorry to hijack, but are your guy's 870 fore-grip tight as a teen, or do they have give too? I apologize, i've been shooting autoloaders for awhile (Remington Model 11-48, OLD SCHOOL!)

·
Gettin There
1,599 Posts
I don't know if it will work to fix it or not. I haven't tried yet since I don't have the popsicle sticks. If you look at the top of the forearm you will see two bars running parallel with the magazine tube. There is some wobble in the bars yes, but there is also wobble between the bars and the forearm. My plan is to take some popsicle sticks, cut them down to size, and then put them in that area to see if it helps anything. Once again I don't know if it will or not, but it is worth a try. This is on a stock forearm as well, so I can't comment on aftermarket stuff.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
If you're really serious on eliminating it, remove the forearm furniture from the action slide tube....but keep the action slide tube on the unstripped gun....and silver solder it or tack weld it. It takes all of five minutes.

Where the action bars pin to the forearm action slide tube on a Mossy 500 giving you a loose forearm, the Remington 870 has the action bars molded as one piece with the action slide tube/action bar collar. The Remington, being one piece, is solid....but it has zero give and it can bind and easily bend the action bars if it gets dirty or the forearm is torqued as the shooter pumps it. The Mossy, with it's pivoting bars, is looser but it can't bind no matter how you work it, clean or dirty. It's pretty much impossible to bend the action bars on a 500. Also, if you *do* bend an 870 action bar, the entire forearm action slide tube is trashed....if you somehow succeed in bending a Mossy bar, it's a $5 part and you fix it at your kitchen table.

With the furniture removed, that's the forearm plastic or wood, pull the slide all the way back. That guarantees it stays perfectly aligned as you work on it. If you try this with the forearm slide tube off the gun, it may not go back on. With the slide tube all the way back, simply flux and solder the tops of the action bars where they're pinned to the slide tube. Get it into the slots. One inch in the left and one on the right. Or, if you have a friend with a tack welder, two dots on the left and two on the right. It'll never come loose and the forearm will be as solid as a Remington 870.

If your gun has the one piece Mav 88 corncob forearm with no steel slide tube, all you can do is sodapop can shim the bars/pins joints. Well, that or replace it with a 500 slide tube forearm.

Anyone need pics to understand that?

r

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
If you're really serious on eliminating it, remove the forearm furniture from the action slide tube....but keep the action slide tube on the unstripped gun....and silver solder it or tack weld it. It takes all of five minutes.

Where the action bars pin to the forearm action slide tube on a Mossy 500 giving you a loose forearm, the Remington 870 has the action bars molded as one piece with the action slide tube/action bar collar. The Remington, being one piece, is solid....but it has zero give and it can bind and easily bend the action bars if it gets dirty or the forearm is torqued as the shooter pumps it. The Mossy, with it's pivoting bars, is looser but it can't bind no matter how you work it, clean or dirty. It's pretty much impossible to bend the action bars on a 500. Also, if you *do* bend an 870 action bar, the entire forearm action slide tube is trashed....if you somehow succeed in bending a Mossy bar, it's a $5 part and you fix it at your kitchen table.

With the furniture removed, that's the forearm plastic or wood, pull the slide all the way back. That guarantees it stays perfectly aligned as you work on it. If you try this with the forearm slide tube off the gun, it may not go back on. With the slide tube all the way back, simply flux and solder the tops of the action bars where they're pinned to the slide tube. Get it into the slots. One inch in the left and one on the right. Or, if you have a friend with a tack welder, two dots on the left and two on the right. It'll never come loose and the forearm will be as solid as a Remington 870.

If your gun has the one piece Mav 88 corncob forearm with no steel slide tube, all you can do is sodapop can shim the bars/pins joints. Well, that or replace it with a 500 slide tube forearm.

r
What gets me is that it's such an easy fix to do...

THEN WHY THE HELL HASN'T MOSSBERG DONE IT IN THE 40+ YEAR HISTORY OF THE GUN?

·
Registered
937 Posts

r
I would like to see pictures of this. I just got my Mossberg 500 Persuader in and it has a bit of play in it nothing that will bother me but it would be good to have this and point it out to others that as the same question.

How about making this a sticky someone :thumb:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts