Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Mossberg 500A ...

NOT sure the model ... I got it as a gift. Has 8 (or 9?) capacity, barrel is about 17" out of the reciever, has pistol grip, and a more "dark" appearance then a typical blueing. There is no changeable choke.

Can this safely shoot a slug?

If it were safe to shoot a slug, Would I break my wrist doing so?

Have a Winchester 1300 Camp Defender also. I was in Wisconsin and picked up some 3" Slugs (Winchester super magnum) or something (heaviest slug - fastest velocity of any on the shelf).

I think I shot four of them. My shoulder was quite bruised. Had a friend shot two of them, he had half size bruise.

It was like taking a hit from a slegehammer. Slug went clean through a 5 gallon propane tank ... I had expected the slug to deform and make a mess out of the back side.

I've shot lesser powered rifled slugs and had a good time with it. Wanted to put things into perspective that I KNOW the ammo itself will make a difference.

Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah you can shoot a slug, but it may not be so fun with the pistol grip. Maybe if you switched to a recoil reducing pistol grip, like the Knoxx model, it might be a little easier to handle.

·
RockOut w/ your GlockOut
745 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500A shotgun with shot and slug barrel combo in black synthetic that came w/ 18.5" and 28" barrels. The 18.5" barrel is good for slugs and pretty much anything. I usually shoot the 2 3/4 1oz. rifled Remington Slugger and have not noticed much more recoil than the buckshot or XX loads. The 28" barrel has a #2 choke and is good for skeet and fowl. Have fun, I enjoy mine immensely

Mossberg 500A shotgun with shot and slug barrel combo (hunting version)
Image © O F Mossberg firearms

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.. The 18.5" barrel is good for slugs and pretty much anything. I usually shoot the 2 3/4 1oz. rifled Remington Slugger and have not noticed much more recoil than the buckshot or XX loads.
This extra information is what I was looking for. I don't NORMALLY shot this thing as I have other play toys.

In my opinion, defensive shot is the best ammo for the 500 I have. However, I like to explore options and I really appreciate the information so I didn't have to find out the hard way.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Only wimps complain about recoil. A shotgun is a man's gun so take it like a man. I have a 10 gauge I'll let you shoot, now it has recoil with very little barrel rise.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only wimps complain about recoil. ... take it like a man. I have a 10 gauge I'll let you shoot,....

We took it like men, it felt like a sledgehammer to the shoulder, and we shot at least one more.

I'lll shoot your 10 gauge.

I WILL NOT shoot the 12 gauge pistol grip if PHYISICS state doing so may very injure ANY AND EVERY male participate!

·
Registered
410 Posts
The only thing that I didnt like shooting out of my 500 with pistol grips was 3" mag slugs, after two I couldnt feel my thumb anymore...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts