Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mossberg 500 JIC version. I am thinking of getting this shotgun. 18 1/2 barrel pistol grip. for home defense and BOB. Your thoughts. By the way I have other shotguns for hunting. Thanks in advance.
flea

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Mossberg 500 Just In Case (JIC) - do you really need a waterproof canister? Sure its a nice option, but do you really need it? Do you live in an area that is prone to flooding or do you go out on a boat a lot?

Take a look at the mossberg site for the JIC - http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28

It shows a hiker with a JIC canister over his shoulder. Oh yea, I can see getting that shotgun getting out of the canister before a bear rips their little head right off.

Looks more like an advertising stunt to me.

If you want a Mossberg 500, buy a 500.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Don't waste your money on the JIC kit. Just buy the shotgun itself. The extra crap that comes in the JIC kits are just cheap gimmicks that drive up the price an extra $100-$150. I bought the Mariner JIC , I love the shotgun itself but the "multitool and Knife " are not much to brag about. As I said above just buy a Persuader or Mariner ,then spend the extra money on a heat shield and a collapsible AR15 style butt stock.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else here on this one.

A)Do you really want to be carrying this big tube around?

If you just want a tube to stash your gun away in a hole in the ground just buy some regular PVC, get end caps, and if your really concerned about waterproof seal it. Just make sure to duct tape a tool to gain entry into the tube onto the tube.

B) Included - "Waterproof Survival Kit-In-A-Can, containing the necessities to keep you going when an emergency strikes" and all in a convenient pull tab opened box the size of a sardine can.

In that case I'll take three :)

Seriously, just get a regular 500 with pistol grip, PVC tube, stuff a few mre's, a med kit, and a easy to carry bag in the PVC and a few other choice things (like ammo and Jack Daniels) and that is a good small stash right there to help you make it to your bigger stash's. For at home stashes I would do stereo speakers box's, they are BIG and hollow and the older beat up ones people don't steal out of the garage as they hardly work.

EDIT: Apocalypse Now - whats in that Survival in a can thing?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Just get a regular 500. Pretty much I +1 everything said.

I find pistol grip grip shotguns to be pretty unseful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. You all talked me right out of it. Maybe if I had to hightail it into a swampy environment it would make sense, but that is not the case where I am. (Most likely woods). I also really didn't like the idea of a 6 shot capacity.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
EDIT: Apocalypse Now - whats in that Survival in a can thing?
Mossberg's website does not indicate what is in the "survival can" that comes with the Cruiser JIC . From the photo, it appears to be a peel off "sardine" type can.So you can only open it once. I would assume it would have the standard cheap junk found in the butt of a gimmick survival knife. Matches, fish hooks, worthless wiresaw, etc. As I stated above ,the Mariner JIC that I have ,came with a multitool and small knife,both of which are functional but not of great quality nor worth the extra money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would just go out and buy a Moss. 500 or 590 model w/o the pistol grip.
When you try to make a follow up shot the regular stock well help more than the pistol .

·
Banned
653 Posts
Mossberg 88 "maverick" is a 500 with a cross bolt safety, same gun, same receiver, used mossberg 500 barrels, just a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
agreed

I +1 what everyone is saying about the JIC; if you need to bury your gun, it's a great idea, but I'd hit the hardware store and make one out of PVC, also, if you do want to carry your 500 with you, check out a shotgun scabbard, they are MOLLE compatible and much lighter and compact than the JIC tube.
http://www.combatsportsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=614

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
If you get the Just In Case be sure to search the web for in 80's Rambo bowie knife with equal gimmicky crap including the removal compass, THEN you should really look like the geek of geeks. As everyone else already mentioned, just a marketing ploy which appears to be working. And why does one need a waterproof case to begin with and make your own and put some real survival supplies in there. If water is a concern, get the Mariner model.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
You have a better chance of hitting something with a handgun than that pistol grip shotgun.

You can still hip shoot a regular shotgun, take a bit of practice. Why not have both worlds? Just buy a regular shotgun and get a pistol grip fixed stock. That extra foot of stock behinds your grip will not get in the way of anything.

Not sure what's available, but a 20-22" barrel is just fine. Maybe get at 26" barrel for bird and trap shooting. Then save up for a rifle sight 21" smoothbore barrel with removable choke. Perfect for squirrel hunting and deer hunting. Smoothbore slugs are close to fancy slugs in operation, but for a fraction of the price. 3 dollar a shot versus 75 cents.

My 870 in 20 gauge gets the same groups with a scoped rifled barrel as the smoothbore with clip on sights. Roughly 4" groups at 100 yards.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
And why does one need a waterproof case to begin with
That's right up there in the top ten for stupidest questions, I believe.

Let's see....I toss my JIC tube in my car's trunk and go camping. Wow, there's a use for a waterproof case on the first guess. I toss one under the seat in my bass boat....I hang one on the hook in my basement....I hang one from the nail in my barn.... How many more do you want?

It shows a hiker with a JIC canister over his shoulder. Oh yea, I can see getting that shotgun getting out of the canister before a bear rips their little head right off.
Try carrying a shotgun on your shoulder in most places in off hunting season and see how far along the trail you get. On the other hand, most places don't tend to mind camp guns as long as they're not carried in the open.

If you want a Mossberg 500, buy a 500.
So it's not a real 500? What's the diff? This one I'm waiting to hear.

I +1 what everyone is saying about the JIC;
What I keep hearing is "damn, I wish I had bought that instead of just another cheapo Express".

if you need to bury your gun, it's a great idea,
Or if you stick your gun in the hall closet and forget it for six months.

but I'd hit the hardware store and make one out of PVC,
Then your cache tube would weigh ten pounds and be next to impossible to open without tools. And the JIC is for car trunks, not for holes in the ground.

also, if you do want to carry your 500 with you, check out a shotgun scabbard, they are MOLLE compatible and much lighter and compact than the JIC tube.
And do they keep your survival kit from rusting in the car trunk?

rich

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
My bad, gee, we wonder how we got along all this time without a waterproof carry case for our weapons, in case we were to hang it on a barn nail. Thanks for the enlightenment.
I assume said barn isn't included?, how about the nail? LOL

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
Everyone has different situations and needs. A scabbard is a great idea when on the go and and you know you're gonna use it. Lugging my 500 around by itself, even with a shoulder strap, is clumsy. I want my gear tight in rough terrain. I use one with two straps worn like a (backpack) if I'm out clearing rattlesnakes. Or I fix it to my larger pack when wearing one. I go with a full stock on my persuader if I know I'm gonna use it, for obvious reasons. When I take my 500 "just in case", meaning I don't foresee using it, but want it anyway, I do swap out to the pistol grip. No accuracy at range, but I can sure as hell hit a brown bear at 20ft when it's chewing up one of my dogs. Certainly, as one of the naysayers mentioned, a large caliber handgun is better choice in most situations. If you got the money to drop, go for it.

A JIC-like survival kit has it's place though. I think it goes without saying you'd want to swap out whatever trinkets they give you for real gear. Waterproofing does have value for some of us. On a few occasions I've found myself swimming with all my gear (unintentionally). And around here we swim in snow 6 months of the year. I'd love a stainless mossy if someone else is paying for it. Mossy's tube is a nice design, but they won't sell it on it's own. And I doubt my 20in barrel will fit in there anyway. The tube is a bit bulky and could be smaller in diameter if something was done to accommodate the grip. If it's really just along for the ride in your trunk or boat, then PVC with some silicone isn't a bad idea. You could rig it with a wire under the silicone that could be pulled to break the seal... like opening a pack of cigarettes. Personally, I want something that allows for easier access on a more frequent basis. I have seen fishing rod tubes with enough diameter that could be shortened. I'm going to try and put something together. Might try to accommodate the stock packed separately as well. Will post the results if anyone is interested...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts