Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Ive been leaning towards a Remmy 870 for my first real shotgun (used my 20g for squirrel hunting but wanted a larger gun I could use to hunt deer locally since they frown on my rifles) but have just recently started leaning towards the Mossberg 500 more. That being said I am looking at buying a one of the "Just In Case" models since it would double as a home defense gun. I also want to shorten the barrel about 2 inches and then get a 2nd longer barrel for hunting and clays. And Ive just started learning about the Knoxx specops recoil reducing stocks so that would probably be my choice for a stock. Im thinking that should serve me well for shooting skeet and training my fiancee with it. I obviously am looking at the J.I.C. for the Bug Out and survival aspect but in all seriousness im not sure the gun would ever see that case once it leaves it. Still im sure I can find plenty of other useful stuff to store in there though. What do you guys think of this setup and am I looking in the right direction or should I do something else completly?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The J.I.C. line up seems to be to be no more then a marketing ploy after Katrina. Is it worth the extra for a pvc pipe case and some fish hooks etc. Or just get a Mossberg Persuader or better yet a 590A1, plastic case and fish hooks not included.
Not to mention a pistol grip shotgun may not be the ideal close range weapon despite it's Hollywood attributes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the JIC seems kinda gimmicky.

First off, it's already an 18.5" barrel, so you wont be triming it down anymore (legally that is). and it's cylinder bore with no provision for a choke which wont make it much of a hunt'n gun unless maybe for doves or something. it's also a 5+1 shot model which the tacticool types will scoff at (i only own 6 shots myself.. but hey tactical aint my thing). and of course the whole pistol grip thing.

You can get the 3 in one feild/security combo for less than what you'd pay for the cheapest JIC series, which will come with the 18.5" barrel, a 28" vent rib bird barrel, and a pistol grip along with the standard stock. You;ll even have some change leftover to go buy that knox stock and make your own PVC pipe tube. (you may wish to purchase a different choke for the 28" barrel i think it comes with a Mod and you'd prolly like something more like an IC for skeet or slug shooting).

me personally, i'd buy two used pumps for $75 a piece and spend the rest on ammo, but ima cheapskate like that. :)

the knox stocks i really cant speak to, cuz ive never had one and never really seen a need for it. people who have them seem to like them.

·
Prepped
307 Posts
Hey guys Ive been leaning towards a Remmy 870 for my first real shotgun (used my 20g for squirrel hunting but wanted a larger gun I could use to hunt deer locally since they frown on my rifles) but have just recently started leaning towards the Mossberg 500 more. That being said I am looking at buying a one of the "Just In Case" models since it would double as a home defense gun. I also want to shorten the barrel about 2 inches and then get a 2nd longer barrel for hunting and clays. And Ive just started learning about the Knoxx specops recoil reducing stocks so that would probably be my choice for a stock. Im thinking that should serve me well for shooting skeet and training my fiancee with it. I obviously am looking at the J.I.C. for the Bug Out and survival aspect but in all seriousness im not sure the gun would ever see that case once it leaves it. Still im sure I can find plenty of other useful stuff to store in there though. What do you guys think of this setup and am I looking in the right direction or should I do something else completly?
The Mossy JIC is cool but not really practical (In my opinion).. A 12ga. with a pistol grip is not really easy to shoot. I have a 500 with a pistol grip and find it pretty awkward. If I decide to keep it I guess I'll put a laser on it so I can see where it's pointed because I'm not going to be aiming the gun. Cutting the barrel would make things worse as well as illegal.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You can get the 3 in one feild/security combo for less than what you'd pay for the cheapest JIC series, which will come with the 18.5" barrel, a 28" vent rib bird barrel, and a pistol grip along with the standard stock. You;ll even have some change leftover to go buy that knox stock and make your own PVC pipe tube. (you may wish to purchase a different choke for the 28" barrel i think it comes with a Mod and you'd prolly like something more like an IC for skeet or slug shooting).
Ok where is the 3 in 1 security combo available? It sounds like an enticing deal. This is kind of the advice I was looking for from everybody just something different to look at since most everybody seems to agree that the J.I.C. may not be worth the money. I may have to go shipping around here and find a good deal on one of these combos. Although I wouldnt really use the stock that comes with it and Id rather keep the gun all flat black to match my XD45 and my next Glock. Ive always been a sucker for matte colors :thumb:

Im also mainly looking at the 500 for the adaptability and the massive aftermarket following. I am going to take a look at the 590A1 but would somebody mind telling me why it is a better gun? And what is a fair price for a new 590A1? And Im guessing when I go to buy a stock I can just buy the one for the regular 590 model?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after checking out some Mossy 590A1's and an equally equipped Remington 870 Tactical. Overall the 870 Tac felt better in hand and I was told by the guy helping me that after working with (and on) both guns for the last 20+ years he would go with the 870. And the 870 was also $369 whereas the 590A1 was $479. So that means I am in the process of selling a couple flashlights and Im going to use my Winchester 1300 for a trade in (Theyre only going to give me around $150 for it so I may just sell it outright to a private owner)

·
Tuefel Hunden
1,572 Posts
keep the 1300 win

The J.I.C. line up seems to be to be no more then a marketing ploy after Katrina. Is it worth the extra for a pvc pipe case and some fish hooks etc. Or just get a Mossberg Persuader or better yet a 590A1, plastic case and fish hooks not included.
Not to mention a pistol grip shotgun may not be the ideal close range weapon despite it's Hollywood attributes.
Agreed. Just get the plain old 500 or 590

Well after checking out some Mossy 590A1's and an equally equipped Remington 870 Tactical. Overall the 870 Tac felt better in hand and I was told by the guy helping me that after working with (and on) both guns for the last 20+ years he would go with the 870. And the 870 was also $369 whereas the 590A1 was $479. So that means I am in the process of selling a couple flashlights and Im going to use my Winchester 1300 for a trade in (Theyre only going to give me around $150 for it so I may just sell it outright to a private owner)
Big 5 around here sells the 590s for 329-399. You can get a 500 field combo for around 229-250. You can get an 870 for around 329-360 around here all these are the sales prices we have been paying.. What is wrong with your your 1300 win? They are good guns and will do everythings these others will and you can get magazine extensions and side saddles for these too, as well as a tac rail. I got a 1300 shadow before y2k and it has served me well. I'll see if I got the pic with the extesion and rail and side saddle. I would keep it! jmho:thumb:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed. Just get the plain old 500 or 590

Big 5 around here sells the 590s for 329-399. You can get a 500 field combo for around 229-250. You can get an 870 for around 329-360 around here all these are the sales prices we have been paying.. What is wrong with your your 1300 win? They are good guns and will do everythings these others will and you can get magazine extensions and side saddles for these too, as well as a tac rail. I got a 1300 shadow before y2k and it has served me well. I'll see if I got the pic with the extesion and rail and side saddle. I would keep it! jmho:thumb:
Well mainly just dont like it because its a 20g with a 26" barrel and the only 12g barrels Ive found for it online cost more than my gun did new. I really want the 870 but I have thought about keeping the 1300 and just converting it to 12 and making it into a second home defense/ hunting setup but I really dont have the money for that.

·
Resident Ninja
2,091 Posts
I bought my Mossberg JIC a few months ago. I've fired it numerous times thus far and love it. I bought it for one reason and one reason only... it remains propped up against my nightstand for those things that go bump in the night. I don't see it being very practical for anything else. But aside from that, I love how compact it is... and if I needed to "clear" an area in a short period of time, I trust that my Mossy JIC could do it in short order.

For that reason only... I love mine.

I emptied the packing out of the tube that it came in... and even with the JIC inside of the tube, there is plenty of room for other supplies. I can shove anything I want in there... grab it quickly... and go.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ok, so maybe I'll get a few folks riled up.
I've got a Mossy 500 Cruiser (JIC without the PVC container, I can make that). Mine came with a Blackhawk recoil pistol grip, and I've been very please with what it can do. I can actually aim mine for a little more accuracy (not as much as a shoulder stock) without busting my nose.
My buddy has one with the original grip, and yeah, it hurts to shoot it after a while.
But all in all, for what the JIC was designed for, I'd get the 500, put on a recoil reducing grip (if overall length is that important) and build a container.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.