Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lightning
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new barrel (28') for my new Mossberg 500. The 18' that came with it screws on and off easy enough. The 28' screws on exactly as the instructions say, but after doing so, the forearm of the shotgun won't slide forward and lock properly (it moves forwards/backwards of course, but not far enough forward to lock). With the 18' installed, the forearm can slide all the way forward into a locked position, barring releasing the action lock lever.

What gives? As far as I know the barrel should fit the gun perfectly... yet I assume the forearm not locking forward with the new barrel installed is a MAJOR problem.

The barrel also came with two small pieces that are not mentioned in the instructions. Once is a short tube, maybe an inch in length (if not less), with threading on the outside of one end- the other is a flat metal object, somewhat narrow, with a small hole on one end of it (not much bigger than the tube like object), and a square right smack in the middle of it.

Total newb :xeye:

thoughts?

thanks

-Svt

·
Lightning
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW wtf lol

Um, okay, problem still not solved, as I can't get that choke out of the wrong end of the barrel. To make sure I wasnt insane, I took out the choke from the correct end of the barrel with the provided wrench, no problem at all.

The problem I can't seem to get around though is the choke stuck in the wrong end of the barrel. The end sticking out does not have the 2 notches in it, so the wrench is useless.

And for the record, that's how it came! lol. I definitely did not shove a choke in the barrel like some idiot at the factory apparently did =(.

I tried pulling it out with a multi tool, but I'm afraid if I pull too hard I'll damage the choke by bending it. From what I can tell, this is what needs to be done too, as I don't think anyone screwed the choke in that side of the barrel =(

Should I just try yanking it out with my multi tool? I suppose I could also try returning the whole barrel, but that will be a PITA since I bought it online from Bass Pro (assuming I cant return it to the local store, which I highly doubt).

·
Lightning
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya I'm sending it back, screw messing with it. I may or may not exchange it... Ill have to decide tomorrow. I really like the idea of having a second, longer barrel, with a choke (my 18' does not), but in reality, I have never been hunting, and dont plan on learning anytime soon.

As much as I want the barrel now, I think I may just return it, get my $200 bucks back, and but a $hit ton of shells, more 9mm for my handgun, and more rifle ammo =(. I think that's what needs to be done. No telling when the fecal matter will hit the fan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.