Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lightning
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new barrel (28') for my new Mossberg 500. The 18' that came with it screws on and off easy enough. The 28' screws on exactly as the instructions say, but after doing so, the forearm of the shotgun won't slide forward and lock properly (it moves forwards/backwards of course, but not far enough forward to lock). With the 18' installed, the forearm can slide all the way forward into a locked position, barring releasing the action lock lever.

What gives? As far as I know the barrel should fit the gun perfectly... yet I assume the forearm not locking forward with the new barrel installed is a MAJOR problem.

The barrel also came with two small pieces that are not mentioned in the instructions. Once is a short tube, maybe an inch in length (if not less), with threading on the outside of one end- the other is a flat metal object, somewhat narrow, with a small hole on one end of it (not much bigger than the tube like object), and a square right smack in the middle of it.

Total newb :xeye:

thoughts?

thanks

-Svt

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
take it your weapon and barrel, go back to where you purchased it. They can either show you if you’re doing it wrong, replace the barrel or return your money.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
The parts sound like the choke tube and choke wrench. Look inside the muzzle of the barrel and see if there's already a tube in there. If there is, the wrench should fit the two notches in it.

The barrel, can you post a pic of the chamber end?

r

·
Unseen
667 Posts
My thought would be that you don't have them lined up properly. The barrel end that goes into the gun must be lined up exactly to seat it correctly. The easiest way to make sure it goes in right is to hit the slide release and pull the slide back to about halfway (with no barrel on) Then stick the barrel on and line it up correctly. Make sure it is seated right inside the chamber, then screw it down. With the slide all the way back, you should be able to feel in the chamber, where the barrel mates up, and feel that there are no obstructions. If you cannot feel anything obvious in the way, try giving the forward "stroke" of the slide a little more pressure... rack it quickly rather than softly.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Anyway, here are the pics. Thoughts
JEEZUS!!!

You've got a choke tube in the chamber!!!!! Remove that! It goes in the other end of the barrel!!!

Notice the two notches inside the other end of the barrel? The muzzle? That flat piece of metal is a choke tube wrench and you can use it to unscrew the choke you have mounted now. You just have two (three?) choke tubes is all. Once you remove that choke from your chamber, the barrel will fit the receiver like a glove. Use the flat wrench to change your chokes to suit your intended target.

rich

·
Unseen
667 Posts
Honest mistake brother, but I got one heck of a chuckle out of it. The choke tube stuffed into the chamber would definitely be your problem. After you get it out, inspect the chamber to make sure it isn't damaged badly. Once that thing is out, you shouldn't have any problem with racking the slide or chambering a round. The knowledge will come in due time, good on you for asking for help. Good luck to ya

·
Lightning
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW wtf lol

Um, okay, problem still not solved, as I can't get that choke out of the wrong end of the barrel. To make sure I wasnt insane, I took out the choke from the correct end of the barrel with the provided wrench, no problem at all.

The problem I can't seem to get around though is the choke stuck in the wrong end of the barrel. The end sticking out does not have the 2 notches in it, so the wrench is useless.

And for the record, that's how it came! lol. I definitely did not shove a choke in the barrel like some idiot at the factory apparently did =(.

I tried pulling it out with a multi tool, but I'm afraid if I pull too hard I'll damage the choke by bending it. From what I can tell, this is what needs to be done too, as I don't think anyone screwed the choke in that side of the barrel =(

Should I just try yanking it out with my multi tool? I suppose I could also try returning the whole barrel, but that will be a PITA since I bought it online from Bass Pro (assuming I cant return it to the local store, which I highly doubt).

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
In any other gun, I'd suggest a broken shell extractor to remove it....but they don't make those for 12ga's.

I'm going to go and grab one and stick it in the chamber and see if I can get it back out. Might help you.

I can really believe that came from the dealer like that, too. I've seen worse. I had one fellow on the phone for close to an hour once trying to explain to him that a Speedfeed stock just held the shells at the ready, not load them into the shotgun as it was being fired. He was convinced those four extra shells would somehow load from the stock to the receiver by themselves....a dealer had told him so.

Sh*t happens. It happens to all of us.

Ok, in a used/slightly dirty barrel chamber that little sucker is a tight fit. I couldn't get it in as far as yours without some considerable force and that, I didn't want to do. In a new barrel, though, it's a snug fit but it goes in as deep as yours in the pic and I can work it out with my finger. Don't use a multitool yet! If it bends the edge of that choke tube the slightest, the tube will be ruined. That's $8. Try sticking your index finger in to the far edge of the tube and flex your finger so it's tight in the tube and try to work it out. I have big hands and mine worked pretty easily. When we had you closing the bolt, it shouldn't have pushed it in any harder, though, so that should be ok.

Barring the finger, the best I'd suggest would be a clothes hanger wire tool bent into the proper shape with two hooks on the ends of the wire. Try the finger.

rich

·
Unseen
667 Posts
Before messing with it further, I would find out the options on returning it. Since it is that stuck in there, you might damage the barrel while trying to take it out. If you mess it up and then try explaining that to Bass Pro, they will likely tell you it is your problem now. If you go for returning it now, they will just send it back to Mossberg (or whatever company made the barrel) and will replace it with a new one. Call Bass Pro customer service "Return Merchandise" at 1-800-633-4452 and explain the problem...

SEND IT BACK!

·
Lightning
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya I'm sending it back, screw messing with it. I may or may not exchange it... Ill have to decide tomorrow. I really like the idea of having a second, longer barrel, with a choke (my 18' does not), but in reality, I have never been hunting, and dont plan on learning anytime soon.

As much as I want the barrel now, I think I may just return it, get my $200 bucks back, and but a $hit ton of shells, more 9mm for my handgun, and more rifle ammo =(. I think that's what needs to be done. No telling when the fecal matter will hit the fan.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Send it back. You go digging, prying, and pulling and you stand the chance of damaging the chamber. Chances are it ended up in the wrong end by accident, and you "seated" it really well by trying to get the bolt all the way closed.

If sending it back isn't an option I'd give it a good pull with a vise grips or channel lock.

Good luck!

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
As much as I want the barrel now, I think I may just return it, get my $200 bucks back,
$200?????? TAKE IT BACK! Take it back now! Have you taken it back yet? Get it in gear, son! Take it back!

Get the $200 back and spend $50 on that same barrel on gunbroker. You'll have to pop for the tubes one by one, but that's $25 for all three. Really, never pay retail if the zombies aren't pounding on your door at that very moment. There's always a better deal to be had.

Honestly, though, that tube would almost definitely come out with some pliers, but $200 is way to much for that barrel and three tubes. I suggest returning it for that reason alone.

rich

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.