Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in process of buying a mossberg 500 12 guage 20"...
My question or general concern is this: in all my excitement of buying my first shotgun, I didn't pay attn to whether it shoots 2.75 or 3" shells? I'm not sure what the difference is??? I originally wanted 18.5" but they were out of stock. Im really hoping that it shoots both size shells if there is a difference how can I tell? Also what is difference between the two? :confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am in process of buying a mossberg 500 12 guage 20"...
My question or general concern is this: in all my excitement of buying my first shotgun, I didn't pay attn to whether it shoots 2.75 or 3" shells? I'm not sure what the difference is??? I originally wanted 18.5" but they were out of stock. Im really hoping that it shoots both size shells if there is a difference how can I tell? Also what is difference between the two? :confused:
It will be printed on the barrel just forward of the pump slide usually on the left hand side of the barrel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I totally forgot to check... Do you know what the difference is between the 2 sizes? Why some only specify one or the other? While other models allow both?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The 500 series will shoot both 2.75 and 3 inch shells. 3 inch shells can travel longer distance due to more ignition behind the projectiles.

Great choice with the mossberg 500, I just bought one a month ago and love it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I believe I did I'm actually looking to purchase a black hawk stock and looking forward to a few a accessories to be added very soon!

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
If it says it has a 3" chamber, that means it'll fire any ammo up to 3" long. Pretty much all common market shotguns have had the 3" chamber since the 60's to early 70's. The most commonly used ammo is 2 3/4", though.

Welcome to the forum, guys!

rich

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Depends on your magazine tube on the 20'', is it listed as an 8-shot? IIRC last time I shot a Mossberg using 3'' shells we loaded 6+1. Anyhow good choice, I like the 20'' it seems better balanced to me and it'll shoot 3'' shells all day but your shoulder will hate you.

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
If it says it has a 3" chamber, that means it'll fire any ammo up to 3" long.
This is true, but some shotguns made for 3 inch shells will have feed problems with the short 2.5" shells. Not that too many people use the 2.5" shells, but it is worth noting.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Depends on your magazine tube on the 20'', is it listed as an 8-shot? IIRC last time I shot a Mossberg using 3'' shells we loaded 6+1. Anyhow good choice, I like the 20'' it seems better balanced to me and it'll shoot 3'' shells all day but your shoulder will hate you.
Your right, I was forgetting about that.

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look into the Phoenix Technologies Kicklite stocks, you might like it better than Blackhawk.
http://prostores4.megawebservers.com/phoenixtechnologygunstocks_com/-strse-1/KickLite-6-Position-Tactical/Detail.bok

Cheapter than dirt sells the stock and forend for $99. Great deal. That's what I'm going to buy.
I was totally researching to black hawk and it seems the recoil is just redirected to your cheek… I am researching the PHOENIX and I see better reviews although ultimately I will have to see for myself but I trust judgement of experienced shotgun shooters until I can have enough experience to base my own judgement lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was totally researching to black hawk and it seems the recoil is just redirected to your cheek… I am researching the PHOENIX and I see better reviews although ultimately I will have to see for myself but I trust judgement of experienced shotgun shooters until I can have enough experience to base my own judgement lol
I'm in the same boat as you. Not very experienced but after watching great reviews on youtube and cheaper than dirt, I'm gonna pull the trigger soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look into the Phoenix Technologies Kicklite stocks, you might like it better than Blackhawk.
http://prostores4.megawebservers.com/phoenixtechnologygunstocks_com/-strse-1/KickLite-6-Position-Tactical/Detail.bok

Cheapter than dirt sells the stock and forend for $99. Great deal. That's what I'm going to buy.
I'm in the same boat as you. Not very experienced but after watching great reviews on youtube and cheaper than dirt, I'm gonna pull the trigger soon.
Yes me too!!! I have gained a wealth of knowledge there and at my local gun store:thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a blackhawk stock on my 500. Model I bought does not have the recoil dampener springs and it hasn't given me any issues. Only problem I had was with the foregrip, doesn't fit without modifcation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My simple sugg is before spending cash on the BH stock, just shoot it for a while. I have had my Mossy 500 now going on 20 years and it is jsut fine the way it is.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
2 3/4 slugs seem to explode everything I take to the range. Even the target stands I would rather not explode.

I stock 100% 2 3/4 shells myself.

I have the knoxx stock on one of my 500's- works fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts