Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gun Slinging *******
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i have a mossenberg 500 12gauge pump.it is a stock gun as of now. im looking to do some upgrades to it for a home defense gun. i have some ideas,just wondering what you guys think. give me some ideas. :thumb

·
Off-roadie
895 Posts
heat sheild for realoading. not all grab the barrel when they flip it over, but i do and hot barrels burn!

ghost ring sights for, duh, hitting what your aiming at

side saddle for "special" ammo, slugs door breachers ect... none of its useless

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where can you get ghost rings for the mossy 500? I have seen some but they require gunsmithing. Anything from Mossburg or the aftermarket?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the heat shield and the side saddle on mine. I cant find the ghost ring sights either. I dont think id add anything else. It would make it to complicated and in the dark when your adrenaline is pumping, you want simple.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Good coat of oil and lots of ammo...

keep it basic and trouble free rather than tarting it up with useless trash

...Best answers yet.

I would add, invest in a bulk purchase of ammo and look into taking a shotgun fighting course. And learning to reload.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a mossy 500a as my primary home defense gun. So far I've added a heat shield (probably not necessary, but who likes grabbing a hot barrel), a Knox breacher's grip (pistol grip only; reduction in recoil is amazing), a side saddle (more ammo is always a good thing), and a tac light (especially great for a home defense gun).

Since mine is a dedicated HD gun, I use it with the pistol grip only. This allows it to fit perfectly in the drawer underneath my bed. While I'm confident that it is accurate enough at the distances I may have to use it inside of my home, it'd be nice to have a stock for increased accuracy. Right now I'm looking at getting the Knox folding skeleton stock so I can continue to store the weapon in my drawer.

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
You have to put a lot of rounds through a barrel to heat it up. For most people there's no reason to touch it when reloading.

A HD shotgun is point and shoot. If you need sights then you need more practice.

As for attaching extra ammo to the gun itself???

It's a shotgun not an erector set, but if strapping a bunch of stuff to it makes you happy, then why not. It's yours, enjoy it as you choose.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You have to put a lot of rounds through a barrel to heat it up. For most people there's no reason to touch it when reloading.

A HD shotgun is point and shoot. If you need sights then you need more practice.

It's a shotgun not an erector set, but if strapping a bunch of stuff to it makes you happy, then why not. It's yours, enjoy it as you choose.
Is a heat shield neccasary? No, absolutely not! My shotty had one when I bought it, so I see no reason to remove it. But if it didn't come with one, I probably wouldn't spend money on one.

I absolutely, 110% disagree with you about the sights. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Shotguns can become rather precise instruments. Why would you not want to increase the accuracy of your home defense gun? You'll have a better chance of stopping the threat with the first round, and lessen the chances of you missing the target.

Again, I disagree with your thoughts on side saddles. One of the major shortcomings of a shotgun is the low capacity of ammo. A standard Mosberg 500 holds what, 5 + 1? That's about half the capacity of most semi-auto handguns, and only a fraction of what modern day assault rifles carry. We all hope that it would never happen, but what if the guy that just broke into your house is also armed, and you find yourself in a gun fight? The quickest and most efficient way to keep your shotgun topped off and in the fight, is by reloding from a side saddle. Side saddles are also great if you want to have options as far as different loads. I personally keep my mag tube loaded with 00 buck, and my side saddle filled with slugs.

To each their own, and obviously you've got to find what works best for you. I've been in a few gunfights myself, and I can tell you that I want to give myself every advantage I can, to make sure that I come out on top. That's why I've chossen to add these accessories to my home defense gun.

·
Off-roadie
895 Posts

ah, when i empty the whole tube, the barrel is hot. and a heat sheild is a nessity for a combat shotgun in my opion.

the side saddle is for "special" rounds Ie breaching rounds and flares so you dont have to search for them..

and sights? come on man, slugs! and ghost rings are great for longer range shots so that comment is a joke, yes, there is some useless tacti-cool stuff out there, but there are some very usefull add-ons

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
Is a heat shield neccasary? No, absolutely not! My shotty had one when I bought it, so I see no reason to remove it. But if it didn't come with one, I probably wouldn't spend money on one.

I absolutely, 110% disagree with you about the sights. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Shotguns can become rather precise instruments. Why would you not want to increase the accuracy of your home defense gun? You'll have a better chance of stopping the threat with the first round, and lessen the chances of you missing the target.
Because I can hit anything inside my home or on my property without looking thru sights.

Again, I disagree with your thoughts on side saddles. One of the major shortcomings of a shotgun is the low capacity of ammo. A standard Mosberg 500 holds what, 5 + 1? That's about half the capacity of most semi-auto handguns, and only a fraction of what modern day assault rifles carry. We all hope that it would never happen, but what if the guy that just broke into your house is also armed, and you find yourself in a gun fight? The quickest and most efficient way to keep your shotgun topped off and in the fight, is by reloding from a side saddle. Side saddles are also great if you want to have options as far as different loads. I personally keep my mag tube loaded with 00 buck, and my side saddle filled with slugs.

To each their own, and obviously you've got to find what works best for you. I've been in a few gunfights myself, and I can tell you that I want to give myself every advantage I can, to make sure that I come out on top. That's why I've chossen to add these accessories to my home defense gun.
How many rounds do you expect to peel off in a home defense scenario? That is what the post is about. Not a combat firefight, to which I wouldn't bring a shotgun anyway.

ah, when i empty the whole tube, the barrel is hot. and a heat sheild is a nessity for a combat shotgun in my opion.
Really? Strange because mine doesn't. Mossberg 500 7+1.

the side saddle is for "special" rounds Ie breaching rounds and flares so you dont have to search for them..
You need breaching rounds and flares for home defense? You must have an interesting home.

and sights? come on man, slugs! and ghost rings are great for longer range shots so that comment is a joke, yes, there is some useless tacti-cool stuff out there, but there are some very usefull add-ons
Again, you need this for home defense? I wouldn't take the time to look down the sights inside my home. Wouldn't need to. Hunting yes, home defense, no. For a shot of any real distance I would be using a rifle.

·
Gun Slinging *******
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks

thanks everyone for the great ideas. im deciding on what to add. when im done i will post pics and thanks again

·
Registered
46 Posts
On mine i have the pistol grip front and rear. My reasoning for this i want to be able to swing around in close quarters without smacking in to walls or furniture. I also have a flash light mounted on it. This shotgun is for home defense only, i have another for hunting. I keep it loaded with slugs.

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
I like to keep it simple but I am coming around to the side saddle way of thinking for that emergency situation. When you dont have time to grab a ammo pouch and put the vest on , I can see the benefit of a side saddle in the house but not when I am hunting or going out for a walk.It may be the difference needed in a time of need.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts