Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its a m44,just figured out its counter bored,andit only hits3 out of 30 shots.i was thinking of replacing the barrel but its too costly. whatcan i do???:confused::mad::(

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sell that one and buy another?

My M44 is counterbored, but I'm still pretty accurate out to 100yrds with it.

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
themuzzle?? but the rifliling past 1inch down is awsome

·
1,794 Posts
Maybe the counterboring isn't what is responsible for the poor accuracy. Mine was not very accurate until I addressed some of the weaknesses of the rifle, those being sights and trigger. I would sell it and get another if you think that the counterboring is the reason. Once you get a bad taste in your mouth for a particular rifle, it is best to part with it and try again. Mosins are too good of a deal to give up on because you might have got a "bad" one. Too bad there isn't a "lemon law" for guns! We are assuming that you tested the accuracy from a solid rest that eliminated human variability.

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no i did not there tooexpensive

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
its a m44,just figured out its counter bored,andit only hits3 out of 30 shots.i was thinking of replacing the barrel but its too costly. whatcan i do???:confused::mad::(
Okay, maybe I'm missing something but what do you mean by "hits 3 out of 30 shots"? What distance are you shooting? What do you mean by a "hit" vs a miss (I presume)? What are you shooting at?

If when you say "counter bored" you mean the muzzle has been counterbored to protect the muzzle's crown from damage thereby maximizing accuracy then usually that's a good thing. The Moisin's have a good reputation regarding accuracy, though I'm sure there are lemons out there.

What do you expect from the gun? What experience do you have shooting rifles? Has another, experienced, rifle shooter had the same result as you did with your gun? (no offense Pugsrok, but it's unusual for someone your age to be "experienced" with a highpower rifle AND the 7.62x54 round is pretty stout for a beginner.)

Allan - who does not have a Moisin Nagant but has a few other .30 cal rifles.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
They counterbored the nagants that had either muzzle damage,or too much cleaning rod wear.It really should shoot decent,if the rifling is fair to good.

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im shooting at 50 yards and a miss is a round that fails to hit the target board compleatly

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
Off a bench or free hand ? What size board ? How good is the ammo ? How bad are you flinching ? is it keyholing ?

3 out of 30 ? Sounds like Operator error at 50 yards,

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i flinched kinda bad,bench,idk ammo is new though,whats key holding?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Get a steady rest of some sort built. You say your funds are low. A couple sand bags, some blocks of wood, even carpet scraps. Anything to set the rifle on nice and steady, and keep it that way while you sneak up on the trigger. A recoil pad for your shoulder will help absorb the shock and encourage you not to flinch.

At 50 yards, missing the board is something we usually diagnose as a "loose nut behind the trigger." :rolleyes: Fortunately, the cure is easy. :thumb:

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
Listen to the people pugs,

Like I told you before. Practice and get used to your rifle. Get something to rest the rifle on so its steady.Put a jacket over the back of a fold up chair and kneel behind it, put your coat on the ground and use that for rest. But most of all squeeze the trigger a hair at a time, and practice the trigger control dry firing.(unloaded) Practice, good habits. Find a site on target shooting.

Keep your senses sharp, and your weapon ready.

·
Banned
653 Posts
If its a carbine, (M44, the short one) the bayonet must be extended for it to be accurate due to barrel harmonics, thats just the way it's designed. The Ruskies ALWAYS had their bayonets at ready unless riding in a vehicle. Now to suppress the harmonics (which is what the bayonet does) you can add one of those heavy bolt on muzzle breaks. This issue has nothing to to with the counter boring the muzzle.

http://www.combathunting.com/MOSIN_NAGANT-Mosin_Nagant_Rifle_Muzzle_Brake_4_Long.html

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Key holing is when the bullet tumbles.
Usually you see a hole in the target that is shaped like the bullet hit it flying sideways....'cuz it did.
You might see a lot of that if the back boring was bad in your rifle.

Like the other guys said. Get a good steady rest....relax, the rifle kicks but that's half the fun right?
Hold it TIGHT into your shoulder, take a deep breath and hold it 'til you are ready to shoot and when ready to fire nice and easy let half the breath out and SQUEEZE,not jerk, SQUEEZE the trigger like you are coping a feel on a girl you aren't too sure about yet, just sneak it in there easy.
Easy does it.
Make sure you have a proper sight picture.
Relax, and breathe.

Oh yeah, extend that bayonet like 535 said.
Mine shoot great stowed but some other m-44s just won't.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
1) Make a sandbag out of a dirt-filled pillow case or a really tough trash bag
2) Ditto an improvised bench rest (picnic table, ironing board, whatever)
3) Ditto bayonet out: M44 carbines were battle zeroed with the bayonet extended.
4) Have you tried to loop the sling with your non-firing hand to steady the rifle? The sling can be an important part of keeping a steady shot too.
5) Army basic marksmanship: BRAS
- Breathe
- Relax
- Aim
- Squeeze
A 7.62X54R is a big round and remember; a slight flinch on the shot can cause you to miss yards down. Don't write the rifle off, just try something different.

·
Registered
435 Posts
this is why I stick with good rem 700s or Winchester model 70s.

I shot my 30-06 M70 the other day and nailed a 6"X6" plate of steel at 50 yards standing. Can't wait to get more ammo for it and start reloading. I also need to get a nice scope instead of that cheap weaver my grand father had on it.

I just ordered me some stag arms lower halves (2) so I'm broke again.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
i flinched kinda bad,bench,idk ammo is new though,whats key holding?
I don't know what to tell you Pugs, if you're flinching bad enough that you notice it yourself when shooting live rounds, then the 3 hits, 30 misses is probably your technique and you don't need to fix the rifle (at least not yet.)

My suggestions before you go out and try again with the Moisin:

First be sure you're wearing ear plugs, ear muffs or BOTH. Often anticipation of the loud report (the bang) will make you jump just before the gun goes off. You can use cotton balls, toilet paper, cigarette butts, anything so the noise doesn't make you jump or blink.

Second, the Moisin, as you know, has a pretty stout recoil. I suggest you fit some padding between the buttstock and your shoulder (this can be either a rubber pad that fits over the gun's buttstock OR a pair of socks or something under your shirt. make it so it doesn't hurt so much.

Third, "dry fire" that gun at least a couple hundred times with a snapcap (an EMPTY casing will do in a pinch) in the chamber before you go back out with live ammo. Keep "dry firing" it until that rifle does not twitch in the slightest during your shot (some people use a dime balanced on top of the barrel and shoot until the dime does not fall off.)

Fourth, the next time you go to the range have a friend load the rifle for you (a single round at a time, not from the magazine.) Sometimes have them put in a live round, other times a spent shell (no peeking on your part.) This way you won't know when the rifle will go "click" and when it will go "BANG". If you notice yourself flinching when the hammer falls on the empty, then you know where the problem lies. If you are not flinching and the rifle is still missing the target, then get back to us for more ideas.

Fifth, save your pennies and get an inexpensive .22 bolt action rifle. Learn to shoot well with that one first. The ammo is cheap, the report (noise) and recoil are neglible. Once you're good with the .22 then go back to the Mosin with confidence.

Allan

1 - 20 of 58 Posts