Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a short argument with a buddy yesterday.

He stated there was not a built in safety on the Mosin rifle. I tried to talk him through this over the phone, and he didn't get it, but stopped by a little bit ago and I showed him how.

For those who own them and do not know how to use the safety.

1.Grasp the knurled knob at the end of the bolt, while the rifle is cocked and an EMPTY chamber.

2. Pull the knob straight back towards you and turn it to the left 20 degrees. It should stay draped over the left rear of the receiver even if bumped or smacked. If not you didn't go far enough left (counter clockwise)

This essentially not only leaves the trigger sear between releasing the bolt but also hangs the entire firing pin assembly onto the back of the receiver.

So yes there is a viable safety on the Mosin Nagant.

Hope this helps some of the new folks. I was shocked my bud didn't know. He has had them for years.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
empty chamber is a good safety too. 'course, i could tell about the shot at a big one 10yds away and the rifle said not BOOM, but, "click".

still prefer the empty chamber to a safety but it seems to have possible drawbacks.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
bad copy of the K98 safety. I got used to operating it on my grandfathers old Arisaka

·
Registered
604 Posts
Its a terrible safety system and trying to use it can hurt your fingers. Load 4 rds in it and leave the bolt closed on an empty chamber.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If I was going to carry my Mosin in the field, I would download the mag to four rounds, and close the bolt on to and empty chamber and rack a round in when time to shoot. It is seems a lot faster and less cumbersome to do that than to engage and/or disengage the safety. While the safety on my M-39 works relatively easily, I have used other Russian models that are more difficult (even nearly impossible) to use- maybe bad tolerances or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts