Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have any experience with the Mosin-Nagant rifle? A buddy of mine had one several years ago. We fired off a few rounds one day. The rifle seemed like it was well built. For the price, seems like it would be a good buy.

And what about the 7.62x54R cartridge. From what I have seen its about like a 30-06. How hard is the ammo to find, has anyone used this round for deer / hog hunting, is it accurate?

·
Kilo Delta
372 Posts
Kev, I've only shot one a few times at the range. I enjoyed it. Like you, I think it's a well-built sturdy rifle. I enjoy a bolt action rifle for the simplicity.

+1 on the ammo being very similar to 30-06 in most regards. From what I've been told only(no outside sources to prove anything, just word of mouth), it's a good 100 yards~ rifle. Anything more requires some tinkering, time, and skill with the weapon for accurate shot placement. I'd say it would be a nice deer/hog gun, at least for someone with some experience with guns/hunting larger game. I know you're not shooting at their ankles, Kev. :D And like you said, the price is hard to beat for a sturdy, well known platform.

Goolged this real quick though: 7.62x54R Ballistic Data

And Online Ammo Prices

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
With the 150 grain loading it is comparable to the 30-06 but not with heavier bullets. During WW1 New England Westinghouse, Winchester and Remington made Nagats. Untill the 1950's Remington loaded ammo. The only problem with the platform and ammo is quality control which affects accuracy (bore dia. is nominaly .310"). Each rifle and lot of ammo will require tweeking but it should be a fine game rifle @ 100 yards for animals up to elk size. Wolf is selling new MFG. ammo for $360/1000, slightly better than new 5.7X28 ammo. I would think that surplus ammo is out there.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to have another back up deer rifle. So I am considering buying a Mosin-Nagant, just to have at the camp.

My primary hunting rifles are a 280 and a 270, both are scoped. The 270 is a weatherby vangaurd and the 280 is a remington bdl mountain rifle.

Last year I got 2 - 8 point bucks, one with the 270 and the other with the 280. Both deer were shot at about 75 yards.

so with the information posted about the 7.62X54R, it looks like it might do ok for what I need.

·
Kilo Delta
372 Posts
I think it would be one of the top three back deer rifles to have around the camp. Useful for taking varmints too. If you end up getting one, remember the pics! :D

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
Anyone here have any experience with the Mosin-Nagant rifle? A buddy of mine had one several years ago. We fired off a few rounds one day. The rifle seemed like it was well built. For the price, seems like it would be a good buy.

And what about the 7.62x54R cartridge. From what I have seen its about like a 30-06. How hard is the ammo to find, has anyone used this round for deer / hog hunting, is it accurate?
Excellent, inexspensive rifle.
The ammo, depending what grain wieght you choose, is a lot like an .06.
I have fired many of the, but never owned a Nagant, I did however, own an SVD Droganov
Great shooter, and I do miss it, lost due too legal exspences from my divorce.
8 grand goes a long way.
Buy the Nagants by the truck load for hand out, and much of the ammo available is AP, but corrosive.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I have one I paid $90.00 for and it is one accurate rifle. Actually, I have the carbine version.
Ammo is fairly cheap and plenty at most gun shows.
Mine is a good shooter.
The safety is about useless.

·
Premium Member
13,341 Posts
mosin nagants are a true fighting bolt action, i have owned many over the years and can recommend them for survival and as fred said the finn 39 is probably the best example and also my faverite........get'em while there hot.........

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
They have some new ones for sale at gander mountain for $150. long barrel with no baounet and 2000 yard sights and short barrel with a baounet and 1000yard sights. I like the Shorty myself and will probably pick one up before the weekend is over

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am Found or is that Saved?
I will say one thing that enen $5 a box of 20 rounds is not a big expense for centerfire cartridges. Look what 308 or 3006 will run you and forget 30 british. Consider this I have loading dies for the 7.62x54R Lee has a kit the costs $23 plus shipping for the 7.62x54R that while not a large production method will keep you in ammo for a long time . Get some powder you will get 140 to 150 loadings per pound and you can use .308 bullets if you cannot find the .311 ones and some primers a couple of boxes of boxer primes brass and you have a cost effective ammo supply and can do some customizing if need be. Make up some hunting soft point loading. The brass should hold up for 5+ reloading average even more. Horandy has a loaded box for 20cartridges for $20 plus shipping from Sportsman Guide I think. 5 boxes for $100. Thats hunting loads.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i just found a 91-30 for 80 bucks at a big five. they were on sale from 170.
i think the mosin would be fit for anything from coyote to deer, iv even read about people taking bear and elk. and im sure it would be fun to vaporize a squirrel or two.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The sights simply slide up or down in elevation. 1 mean 100 meters,2 means200 meters,and so on.Windage is only adjusted by drifting the front sight right or left. Not the most adjustable,or precision sights ever made,but they did what they were supposed to.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts