Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to get me a nice 91/30 or M44 and do some work on it. I want an inexpensive high power gun that is bolt action that also has cheap ammo and this gun fits the bill perfectly!

I would love to learn how to shoot at extended distances - 400m+ and I figure this is a good gun with which to do this. This will also be my only high powered rifle (until I have enough $$ to buy a .308 of some kind) so I would like to be able to use this to hunt as well.

I have tried looking for scopes but I fear that I am a neophyte in the field of optics. Having very little knowledge in scopes and Mosin mounts, I would like to get some advice on this as well. I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible at first so whatever will get me to 300-400m is ok but I would later like to try 600-1,000m with a more powerful scope. So, could someone help me find a decent scope for this project or point me to a good source of info?

I have heard something about doing barrel work or buying a gun with a specific barrel diameter so that .308 rounds can be used in reloads. What do I need to look for to do this?

I also like many of the scout guns I have seen members put together and think that may be an avenue which could suit my needs. Would the new stock make it lighter?

Finally I found 440 rounds of Russian surplus steel core, 148gr, silver tip rounds (had 8 excellent reviews) for $100 delivered ($25 for shipping). This is a July special and I am considering getting 880 for $195 shipped but should I do this before buying the gun? I'm set on getting one, either way, so should I take advantage of this ammo deal (is this a better than normal price? One review said 0 duds in 880 rounds, 2 others reported 1) and buy it before getting the gun?

I want to make sure I get the gun that will work for my mods as this is the most important. I've looked at J&G, Rguns.net and AuctionArms.com.

I'm also questioning a round, hex or octagonal receiver - what's the difference.

·
Registered
257 Posts
no difference in hex vs round, just ease of manufacture. .308 bullets are a bit smaller than the bore, i have reloaded 54R and put a .308 bullet on it. it worked good enought to hunt with at closer ranges but was not as accurate as out of the spam can mil surplus stuff. the mosin bullet is a litte closer to 7.7 than 7.62 but just barely. (also my bore was worn a bit.)
as far as scopes go, you can use any one you want really. there are a few companies that put out weaver or picatinny rails that you can use to replace the rear sight. so then at that point you more or less can put what ever scope fits the bill.
yes go buy one, they are simple, cheap and their ammo is out there for peanuts. you wont regreat it. just beacuse they are cheap does not mean the are junk rifles...unlike the carcano*cough* but thats another story. moving on... yes its a good project gun there are a few after market stock around that are pretty sharp looking and have the lines of a hunting rifle. serious, go get one and tinker. but beware, i stated with one and now i have a closet full...i suffer mosinitus

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
http://www.cbrps.com/Products.html these guys make a bullpup stock for it and if you wanted you could chop the barrel and make the whole thing down to about 30 in overall length

honestly tho id try to find a side mount scope mount and mount a pu scope but im a history buff

Reactions: tankman1989

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
Get the rifle from j&gsales ask them to hand pick cost 79.00 I have bought 7 from them and not disapponted once.
Use a long eye relief scope with mount just over the breach. you can get the bolt turned down I like that.
The rifle is capable of 1000 yrds shots and hitting the target. The 7.62x54 is an awesome round I have a SVT40 the mosin will out shooot it.
Also a PSL it's ok but I would trust the Mosin first.

jst one owners opinion.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.cbrps.com/Products.html these guys make a bullpup stock for it and if you wanted you could chop the barrel and make the whole thing down to about 30 in overall length

honestly tho id try to find a side mount scope mount and mount a pu scope but im a history buff
I would like to get an authentic sniper version some day but for now it is an inexpensive range gun that is also a fun easy project gun.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I would like to get an authentic sniper version some day but for now it is an inexpensive range gun that is also a fun easy project gun.
if thats the case idrecomend getting the mojo rear sights and call it a day

i am of the school of thought you should alwayse have iron sights

lot of the scope bases for moisans replace your rear sight wich i do not like

Reactions: tankman1989

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
My miscellaneous ramblings on Nagants (based on my shooting and reloading of 6 versions I own)

I prefer the 91/30 over the M44. The Finnish SKY model is my favorite.

I reload .308 bullets for all of them with no issues. I shoot surplus ammo with no issues (CLEAN WITH WATER OR WINDEX after shooting surplus ammo NO MATTER what the say about corrosiveness). I shoot silver/brown bear ammo with no issues.

I shoot stock rifles at 600 yds with stock military sights/trigger and wolf ammo from a bench. I do not have an issue hitting a 2'x2' plate. My eyes are at their limit with the stock sights at this distance. You'll find that 500-550M setting works well at 600 yds with wolf/bear ammo.

I would have no issues or be at a serious disadvantage if a 91/30 were my only rifle. It would not be my first, second, or third......choice though...;)

The 3 issues I have with the Nagant are:

1. Trigger has bad creep and heavy break. It's BAD, but very usable. Do expect it to be a target rifle.

2. Sights are standard military ladder and aren't as easy to use as a peep sights are.

3. Stock was designed by a sadist who must have enjoyed watching people hurt after 20 rounds from bone on metal contact.

Get the Huber Concept trigger and MOJO sights, then call it a day. These are the 2 best/cheap aftermarket mods that are really worth the cost. The S&K scout mount and 4x pistol scope are a great addition and do work better than the MOJO sights. But, at the addition cost it not worth the money IMHO.

I never try to spend more in add-on than the rifle. The Huber and MOJO will cost you twice the rifle's cost, but do make a difference.

Remember, what makes the Nagant GREAT is it's $80.00 price. Not $80.00 and another $300 of modifications.

You can get a great bolt action package rifle in 30.06 or .270 w/ 3x9 scope for less than $400.00 from most of the major manufactures.

JM2C

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
My miscellaneous ramblings on Nagants (based on my shooting and reloading of 6 versions I own)

I reload .308 bullets for all of them with no issues. I shoot surplus ammo with no issues (CLEAN WITH WATER OR WINDEX after shooting surplus ammo NO MATTER what the say about corrosiveness). I shoot silver/brown bear ammo with no issues.

I shoot stock rifles at 600 yds with stock military sights/trigger and wolf ammo from a bench. I do not have an issue hitting a 2'x2' plate. My eyes are at their limit with the stock sights at this distance. You'll find that 500-550M setting works well at 600 yds with wolf/bear ammo.

I would have no issues or be at a serious disadvantage if a 91/30 were my only rifle. It would not be my first, second, or third......choice though...;)

1. Trigger has bad creep and heavy break. It's BAD, but very usable. Do expect it to be a target rifle.

2. Sights are standard military ladder and aren't as easy to use as a peep sights are.

3. Stock was designed by a sadist who must have enjoyed watching people hurt after 20 rounds from bone on metal contact.

Get the Huber Concept trigger and MOJO sights, then call it a day. These are the 2 best/cheap aftermarket mods that are really worth the cost. The S&K scout mount and 4x pistol scope are a great addition and do work better than the MOJO sights. But, at the addition cost it not worth the money IMHO.

I never try to spend more in add-on than the rifle. The Huber and MOJO will cost you twice the rifle's cost, but do make a difference.

Remember, what makes the Nagant GREAT is it's $80.00 price. Not $80.00 and another $300 of modifications.

You can get a great bolt action package rifle in 30.06 or .270 w/ 3x9 scope for less than $400.00 from most of the major manufactures.

JM2C
Thanks for the info.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts

canbefixed with shims look at a m39 by the fins its a dream to shoot but its bedded and shimmed you can do it yourself with analuminum can or brass plate
not hard to use either
$10 recoil pad solves that problem but all firearms of that time were that way look at the mauser m1 garand 1903 springfield the enfield moisan nagant all have a metal butplate you should probbably try a beter shooting position you shouldnt have it against bone in the first place ,,,,,man up

you dont really need to put a scope on a surplus nagant leave it at irons and i disagree add ons like scopes can and should be $$ when your lifes on the line you want good glass 50% cost of rifle is the minimum you should spend on a scope if you buy a scope

if he goes that rout id recomend looking for a used savage or remington 700 bdl at a gun show
JM2C

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
:D:

FJ, thanks for your wit, wisdom and complete misinterpretation of my tougne and cheek post.

BTW...seriously don't you think I know that ALL military rifles of the period have metal but plates.

Your responses to me on this were like Obama to a America the other night... shared sacrifice, but only on my end.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts

FJ, thanks for your wit, wisdom and complete misinterpretation of my tougne and cheek post.

BTW...seriously don't you think I know that ALL military rifles of the period have metal but plates.
Your responses to me on this were like Obama to a America the other night... shared sacrifice, but only on my end.

i honestly have no wy of knowing what you do or dont know i take whats posted at face value unless it ends with a smily :upsidedown::D::rolleyes::):(:eek:

and as our dark lord sayeth

"now let me be perfectly clear" :eek:

Reactions: 0002S

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,935 Posts
If you go with the M-44 (which is the one I prefer) make sure you get the recoil compensater. (also called a muzzle brake) Nc-Star made mine. I have heard mixed reviews about the Monte Carlo stock. Some seem to love it, and others hate it and it is usually one or the other. A turned down bolt is pretty much a necessity if you are going to scope it, or so I have heard. I shoot mine iron sights and it works very well. I have one that was reconditioned by the Soviet Army arsenal in 1964. I hear complaints about the M-N triggers but mine is very good, I put a stud on it to mount a bipod and had to set it back pretty far to get enough meat for it to hold. If you get the aftermarket stock it comes with the stud mounted farther forward.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Booniestomper hit it pretty well on the head. The Mosin is a fine gun for just about anything. Moderately accurate, hard hitting and reasonably priced. I have an original sniper model and it is very capable of long range shooting. Actually it will stand up favorably against Model 700s but few will admit it!

·
Mad Trapper
1,149 Posts
Mosin Nagants are great rifles. I have a russian m44 and a valmet m39. Great rifles and I think everyone should own one.
That being said, don't waste your money makeing it into something its not.
After you spend the money on the rifle, new stock, bent bolt, scope mount, drilling and tapping for the mount. You'll spend more money on a nagant than you will on a savage/stevens in 308 and a nagant will never out shoot a savage.
keep saveing you hard earned money and buy a savage/stevens you can get them for 300 or less and its ready to go right out of the box. Parts for savage are easy to find you can change the barrel and bolt head to any caliber you want...and you don't need a gun smith to do it. Want a detachable mag? You can get that too! The sky is the limit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought the "hope and change" package from RGUNS and was really impressed. Mosin nagant was in excellent condition, it looked brand new. And it came with all accesories and a 440 round tin of ammo. I bought a scope and a UTG scope mount with the intention of mounting it on the rifle but after shooting it with open sights I couldnt bring myself to modify it at all. Its just a beautiful weapon as it is, enough said.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Accuracy

I feel obligated to reiterate the importance of the point Tenfeathers touched on about hand picked rifles. The Mosin-Nagant 91/30 was never intended by design to be a scoped rifle. The P/U sniper is a creation of necessity, whereby standard infantry rifles were bench pattern tested then outfitted with a four-point offset mid-rise, or centered highrise mount and commonly a 3x/4x scope. Not all rifles in this family are made to the same specificaitons-most war era guns, as with cheap new reproductions, are made with fairly low quality workmanship for they were being mass produced hastily. Before thinking you have an out of the box sniper ready rifle, or for those who are considering doing heavy and costly modifications to your rifle, have it fully bench tested for the pattern accuracy you expect from the rifle. One last thing, the barrel condition: Due to corrosive priming and bi-metal jackets on most surplus ammo the condition of the barrels rifling will, especially with high heat shooting, rapidly deteriorate. Most of the war era sniper refits saw the limit of thier effective accuracy for a scope in 200 rounds or less and were often retro fitted to the infantry to finish thier service.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,935 Posts
I feel obligated to reiterate the importance of the point Tenfeathers touched on about hand picked rifles. The Mosin-Nagant 91/30 was never intended by design to be a scoped rifle. The P/U sniper is a creation of necessity, whereby standard infantry rifles were bench pattern tested then outfitted with a four-point offset mid-rise, or centered highrise mount and commonly a 3x/4x scope. Not all rifles in this family are made to the same specificaitons-most war era guns, as with cheap new reproductions, are made with fairly low quality workmanship for they were being mass produced hastily. Before thinking you have an out of the box sniper ready rifle, or for those who are considering doing heavy and costly modifications to your rifle, have it fully bench tested for the pattern accuracy you expect from the rifle. One last thing, the barrel condition: Due to corrosive priming and bi-metal jackets on most surplus ammo the condition of the barrels rifling will, especially with high heat shooting, rapidly deteriorate. Most of the war era sniper refits saw the limit of thier effective accuracy for a scope in 200 rounds or less and were often retro fitted to the infantry to finish thier service.
Your very first post and you choose raise a Zombie thread from the dead?
Welcome to the board anyway. (Although you sound suspiciously familiar.):eek::eek::eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts