Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Mr. Sailfish
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Ok, I'll start by saying that I'm sure everything I'm about to ask/say is old news. But, given my situation at the moment I'd really appreciate any information, advice or opinions that you may have.

About a month ago I moved to mainland China to work as a foreign "expert", aka teacher, in a Chinese school in Fuzhou. In China, the Spring Festival is a big deal, and teachers especially get a long holiday in January-February. Since I like to hunt, I've taken the liberty of booking a week-long hunting trip in Mongolia during my vacation. Since I'm already in China prices are far cheaper than coming from the States and traveling to Mongolia is fairly easy.

The target species will be wolf. Apparently they are pests in Mongolia (think coyote at home), and I will be hunting with Mongolian guides for a week.

The catch here is that since I'm in China, I obviously had to leave my rifles at home! Come on, the Chinese would most definitely NOT allow any firearms into the country, especially one owned by an American! Anyways, given that, I will be using a rifle supplied by the guides, and I've been told I will be using a Mosin Nagant, hopefully with some form of optics mounted.

In truth I do not own and have never shot a Mosin Nagant. Furthermore, I don't know how much opportunity I'll have to practice after arriving in Mongolia. I'm sure I'll get a chance to blast a rock or two, but I doubt I'll be very comfortable with the rifle by the time I'm in the field. I realize that it is not an ideal situation, but my desire to hunt has gotten the better of me, and I'll just have to make do. Hopefully I'll get more than one shot at a wolf over the course of a week.

What should I know about the rifles? I'm calling on the voices of experience here! How much drop should I anticipate at 200yds? Do such rifles have any quirks that I'm likely to encounter? What is a close equivalent of caliber? Is the round similar to a .308, .30-06? When (or more likely if!) I am presented with a shot, I'd like to have at least some concept of how the bullet will fly. Are Mosin Nagants accurate? What would be a long shot with such a rifle, assuming I have some sort of scope on it?

If there is anything else I've left out, please chime in!

Thanks guys and girls, I really appreciate your advice/comments!

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Pretty close to a 30-06. Nice kick to it. Some are very accurate, some not so much. The 91/30 are pretty long and the M44 is more compact. Unless a turned down bolt is added,optics have to be mounted in a scout setup.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Sounds like fun! It's actually quite a powerful gun, cheap to shoot and buy, and common. It's also about as rugged as you can get. Lots of people use them in Scandinavia and Russia for hunting game up to elk size. Even saw on TV once that when they tranquilize and track tigers they carry the Mosin in parts of the world for a backup in case it wasn't fully effective. Wolf vs Mosin should be a easy time. Beware it has no safety per say.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
It does have a safety, although I think its a dangerous one. Pull back on the knob and turn left I believe. Then to take it off pull back again and move to center.

It never felt right to me to be playing with it with one in the chamber so the chamber stays empty in mine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
all right ill lay it down about the mosin nagant i have been hunting coyotes with mine all year (no closed season here in vt )i have a long rifle variant that use for hunting m91/30 1925 izzy ex dragoon. this is what i have picked up with hunting experience with mine .
1. the bolt makes a hell of a racket.
2. the mosin nagant dose have a safety but it is a pain in the ass to use ,u pull back the cocking pice and turn it to the left hers a pic i took

to release the safety pull the cocking pice back and turn it to the right .
3. remember if u are using the iron sights they are in meters no yards .100 meters is around 110 yards
4.the triggers on these take a wile t used to ,mine is on the heavy side .

·
"Et si omnes ego non"
246 Posts
Sounds like fun! It's actually quite a powerful gun, cheap to shoot and buy, and common. It's also about as rugged as you can get. Lots of people use them in Scandinavia and Russia for hunting game up to elk size. Even saw on TV once that when they tranquilize and track tigers they carry the Mosin in parts of the world for a backup in case it wasn't fully effective. Wolf vs Mosin should be a easy time. Beware it has no safety per say.
The safety just sucks. Pulling the safety and turning the knob to the left hurts a lot and sometimes, the safety becomes deactivated by just a trigger pull...Unreliable safety

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
when i am out in the bush with my m44, i'll load 4 in the mag and close the bolt, i can almost silently camber a round(with practice) hasn't been a problem yet

·
WaNNaBe
16 Posts
they're a blast to shoot! especially if you need a shoulder relocated...

if the chamber hasn't been polished or cleaned well, there will be a "sticky" bolt problem after your first shot, meaning, when the round is fired, the cosmolene packing material will turn to a warm, sticky goo and as you open the bolt, it will be a bi*ch to fully open and slide the bolt back to eject the spent cartridge.

make sure you WEAR HEARING PROTECTION!!! you'll love the sound of the THUD the round makes as it travels out of the barrel ;)

as far as range, versilles zeitsef (s/p?) remember the movie enemy at the gates??) made an accurate shot from a mile away from across a river with his 91/30 and nailed the guy he was aiming for. there was nothing special with his rifle except it had a scope on it. every 999th rifle off the assembly line was designated a sniper rifle, so it was just like every other russian infantryman's rifle.

although, accuracy does vary with every one of these rifles. just remember, your first, cold-barrel shot is going to be the most accurate.

most of all, HAVE FUN WITH IT! :)

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Boycotting cheaper than dirt aside, Can anyone tell me which models the Monte Carlo "drop in" stock conversion works with? My thinking is to purchase a Mosin Nagant and "modernize it" with this stock (ATI or Advanced Technology) and some optics...
(ok, it's on backorder, so I guess it's a moot point)
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MGR341-1.html

EDIT: Also, are monte carlo stocks silly for left handed shooters?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't generally shoot foreign makes of rifles, but this is one I have shot.......get the newest rifle you can get. The older models can be really inaccurate. If you are hunting(and why would anyone want to kill a wolf) wolf, you better make sure it isn't a male, and it better be from a distance. If your rifle fouls, and they are know for that....also from ammo, carry a large side arm...........just in case!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Boycotting cheaper than dirt aside, Can anyone tell me which models the Monte Carlo "drop in" stock conversion works with? My thinking is to purchase a Mosin Nagant and "modernize it" with this stock (ATI or Advanced Technology) and some optics...
(ok, it's on backorder, so I guess it's a moot point)
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MGR341-1.html

EDIT: Also, are monte carlo stocks silly for left handed shooters?
unless it is a left hand stock a monte carlo stock is not only a waste of money it will actually get in your way due to the angle on the off side of the stock.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I don't generally shoot foreign makes of rifles, but this is one I have shot.......get the newest rifle you can get. The older models can be really inaccurate. If you are hunting(and why would anyone want to kill a wolf) wolf, you better make sure it isn't a male, and it better be from a distance. If your rifle fouls, and they are know for that....also from ammo, carry a large side arm...........just in case!
he will be hunting in mongolia there wont be any side arms...

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
2 Questions: Stag Arms AR's and 6.8mm Option

edit: removed/relocated

sorry folks...got ahead of myself and posted this here rather than in it's own thread.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
The safety just sucks. Pulling the safety and turning the knob to the left hurts a lot and sometimes, the safety becomes deactivated by just a trigger pull...Unreliable safety
The safety is very positive.
It is less than convenient and I think that lends to neglect of it's use but there are few safeties that work as well when engaged.
If you have a safety that becomes disengaged by pulling the trigger you have a defective rifle.

Wolf hunting in Mongolia sounds cool.
The Mosin has a trajectory about like a .308, nice and flat.
One thing to remember is rim over.
The 7.62x54R is a rimmed a rimmed cartridge and when loading the rifle be aware the rim of the round on top must be in front of the rim of the round underneath it.
Otherwise you get hung up and it's a bear to fix expeditiously.
Happy hunting, sounds like a good time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
there is also a way to release the firing mech by rotating the bolt up then squeeze and hold the trigger then rotate bolt back to locked position this allows you to release firing mech without discharge i have done it dry but not with one in the chamber.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After you fire enough rounds to warm the receiver, you will find out how well it was cleaned. The heat breaks down the cosmoline to a tar-like consistancy. Cosmoline is hard to spot for someone that hasn't seen it before, so you will feel it long before you see it. If it's dirty you might need a 2x4 to cycle the bolt.

I like to double up on ear protection (plugs and muffs). Just one or the other and your ears will be ringing.

The safety sucks out loud.

The accuracy is pretty much if you can see it, you can hit it open sights. The round will reach out several country miles. Most of the ammo I have seen is steel case and core, so it doesn't stop for much of anything.

The muzzle flash, recoil, and concussion off of these guns is outrageous. If you like that sort of thing, it will give you a warm fuzzy feeling all over.

Overall it is a great gun that will serve your purposes just fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts