Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a Mosin Nagant from cabelas and wanted to patch up some spots on the finish. I have no idea what the Ruskies used in WW2 as finish on their guns, but wanted to see if you guys could tell me what thet used or what would give me similar results.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
On the wood or on the metal? Shellac, as stated above for the wood and the metal was blued.

Al

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I'm kind of a purist and don't usually change anything on a milsurp in any kind of permanent fashion (I use no-tap mounts, for instance). They're pieces of history. However, if a nagant is really roached out, shellac.. use a few test boards, and see what you get. With the bluing, it isn't worth anything other than cold blue, unless you paint the whole gun, and make a full-on bubba scout out of it.

Proof of shellac is FAQ#27:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFAQ.htm

That is also an excellent reference site for your rifle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shellac was used, but it's really not worth the effort IMO. You picked it up from Cabelas recently? The Mosin Nagant rifles recently imported have a rough finish, but that is what they should have after the rearsenal process.

·
Registered
960 Posts
That shellac only lasts 2-3 years and then it's all rubbed off.

If it is a refurb the metal was blued at one point but they all got painted black at the refurb.

I took one and removed all the shellac and even did some light sanding to smooth it all out. Now it looks very nice for my first try but I wouldn't do it again. I lost a lot of history doing that to the rifle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I sanded down and stained my M-44 when I bought it 8 years ago (before I learned the history of these) I restored my 91-30's finish with shellac, it's surprisingly easy to work with, cold blueing to touch up the metal... Haven't shot the 44 much since, so I'm not sure of the durability of my stain/poly finish...

·
MOLON LABE!
5,908 Posts
It's a 91/30! They made MILLIONS of them! (17-million!) What's the point of keeping it original? It's the kind of rifle that, if you want to re-blue it and refinish the stock in something other than shellac, you shouldn't have to worry about it!

It's your rifle, do what you want with it, and don't worry about it being worth less money, if you like it, that's what matters.

·
Registered
960 Posts
It's a 91/30! They made MILLIONS of them! (17-million!) What's the point of keeping it original? It's the kind of rifle that, if you want to re-blue it and refinish the stock in something other than shellac, you shouldn't have to worry about it!

It's your rifle, do what you want with it, and don't worry about it being worth less money, if you like it, that's what matters.

While I agree if you own it do anything you want with it.

Any idea what a 98K Mauser sales for? They made 14 million from what I read. Throw in all the other country's that made Mauser you have a lot more Mausers the mosins. They where $50 years ago and people said the same things "those will never be worth anything" So in a few years we could be surprised.

But again paint it pink, drill holes in the stock, or weld it to the hood of your car it's yours.

·
MOLON LABE!
5,908 Posts
While I agree if you own it do anything you want with it.

Any idea what a 98K Mauser sales for? They made 14 million from what I read. Throw in all the other country's that made Mauser you have a lot more Mausers the mosins. They where $50 years ago and people said the same things "those will never be worth anything" So in a few years we could be surprised.

But again paint it pink, drill holes in the stock, or weld it to the hood of your car it's yours.
True, but the Mauser action is pretty well known for it's awesomeness, not so much with the Moist Nuggets. Don't get me wrong, I shoot lots of 54R, but they are still a cheap rifle, and will likely not gain much in value.

And by the way, I know where there is a rack of 5 Mausers that I could pick up for $100 each, so they are still reasonable if you look.

·
Banned
573 Posts

I would agree in part as the 91/30's were made in the millions.....however, suggest checking the date on the Mosin. Some were made in the low thousands such as my 1929 ex Dragoon. Others, such as the Remingtons, and Westinghouse imho shouldn't be touched. But, if the Mosin is dated in the 30's or 40's I see no harm in tweaking the rifle to personal preferences....

·
Crusty Curmudgeon
1,390 Posts
I wish I had before pictures.

I picked this M44 up for $90 a few years ago. The metal was in very good shape, but the wood looked very poor. I decided to refinish it. Uncut tung oil is a very good representation of shellac and a lot more durable.

·
Registered
960 Posts
True, but the Mauser action is pretty well known for it's awesomeness, not so much with the Moist Nuggets. Don't get me wrong, I shoot lots of 54R, but they are still a cheap rifle, and will likely not gain much in value.

And by the way, I know where there is a rack of 5 Mausers that I could pick up for $100 each, so they are still reasonable if you look.

I agree the Mauser bolt action is much nicer

As for Mauser at $100 each unless they are crap I would be the owner of 5 new to me Mausers.

·
MOLON LABE!
5,908 Posts
I wish I had before pictures.

I picked this M44 up for $90 a few years ago. The metal was in very good shape, but the wood looked very poor. I decided to refinish it. Uncut tung oil is a very good representation of shellac and a lot more durable.

That's a purty M44! Good job!
I agree the Mauser bolt action is much nicer

As for Mauser at $100 each unless they are crap I would be the owner of 5 new to me Mausers.
Too bad we can't ship rifles, I'd help a brother out and send 'em to you :thumb:

They're all 8mm's, save for one 7.65, I've been thinking about picking one up, but they just aren't my cup o' tea :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts