Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its marked down from 160. I looked it over, they have 2 but one has a scratch on the stock so I know which is the one I liked. My question is:

gunbroker has em for 90 bucks easy. Shipping for 20 or so, but I don't have a FFL and I don't know anywhere that can do the transfer for me without a fee. So to ME, it seems like this is worth it. Plus they have a 30 day warranty on used guns. They also sell ammo for it. I play to "modernfy" it. Synthetic stock and polish all the metal parts to a shiny steel. I need peoples input before I continue with this purchase! Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's worth it at that price. I'd just check to make sure that the bolt cycles freely and the bore looks okay (it WILL be dark, but look for pitting). To check the bore, remove the bolt by rotating the bolt up, pulling the trigger, and pulling the bolt rearward out of the gun. Then, you can look down the barrel. I'm also picky and look for non-counterbored rifles.

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
Its marked down from 160. I looked it over, they have 2 but one has a scratch on the stock so I know which is the one I liked. My question is:

gunbroker has em for 90 bucks easy. Shipping for 20 or so, but I don't have a FFL and I don't know anywhere that can do the transfer for me without a fee. So to ME, it seems like this is worth it. Plus they have a 30 day warranty on used guns. They also sell ammo for it. I play to "modernfy" it. Synthetic stock and polish all the metal parts to a shiny steel. I need peoples input before I continue with this purchase! Thanks ahead.
Check j&gsales before you buy,they will hand pick for 79.00

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went and fondled my favorite again. Said "this is the one!". 20 minutes later after 4 employees run around searching for the forms one of them says "Oh we ran out a few days ago". [email protected] So I said if my gun has been sold tomorrow before 1 which is when I was told to come back, I will not be buying a firearm and will be complaining. Also, they have 10 7.62x54r rounds for 8 dollars. Worth it?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I went and fondled my favorite again. Said "this is the one!". 20 minutes later after 4 employees run around searching for the forms one of them says "Oh we ran out a few days ago". [email protected] So I said if my gun has been sold tomorrow before 1 which is when I was told to come back, I will not be buying a firearm and will be complaining. Also, they have 10 7.62x54r rounds for 8 dollars. Worth it?
Dunhams keeps them for that price or less all the time. Don't worry about it.

As for the ammo, [email protected]$8 is robbery. You can get the surplus stuff for twenty cents a shot or less.

I buy it a spam can at a time for 440/$80

Brown Bear goes for $9 a box of 20
Privipartizan goes at $13 a box of 20.

·
Silent Defender
2,058 Posts
I'd say you can do better. I just bought one 3-4 months ago at an MC Sports, great condition, for $79.99. The one you're looking at may be in excellent condition, but they can be had for less than $120. The $160 price it is "marked down" from is plain ridiculous.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If it is free of cosmoline it is worth the extra price IMO. Ill spend 20 bucks in carb cleaner and other supplies getting it clean.

·
Silent Defender
2,058 Posts
If it is free of cosmoline it is worth the extra price IMO. Ill spend 20 bucks in carb cleaner and other supplies getting it clean.
Wow. All I used to clean my Mosin was really hot water and there is no cosmoline left on it. It will melt around 120°F or so.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you negotiate the price of a firearm with people at Dunhams? I am gonna try to argue some price discount or some free ammo since I had to wait for them to get papers and delay my purchase.

·
Noob-Lite
479 Posts
Can you negotiate the price of a firearm with people at Dunhams? I am gonna try to argue some price discount or some free ammo since I had to wait for them to get papers and delay my purchase.
They go on sale quite often, every couple of months you can bag them for under $100. As for ammo, that goes on sale too, never buy ammo at Dunham's for full price, wait for it to go on sale as their regular price is quite inflated.

hick

·
PaPaKAPture
248 Posts
They go on sale quite often, every couple of months you can bag them for under $100. As for ammo, that goes on sale too, never buy ammo at Dunham's for full price, wait for it to go on sale as their regular price is quite inflated.

hick
Right! I bought a few 50 ct boxes of Winchester .45 FMJ for 23 each at Cabelas. I went to Dunhams and the same box it was 35 for 50....

·
Noob-Lite
479 Posts
Right! I bought a few 50 ct boxes of Winchester .45 FMJ for 23 each at Cabelas. I went to Dunhams and the same box it was 35 for 50....
Sounds about right. But when it goes on sale it is worth looking into. Picked up some M856 for $8 a box, the M855 was even cheaper, just need to keep an eye out for the ads.

hick

1 - 19 of 19 Posts