Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sith Lord
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told moscovy ducks arnt really ducks and that they will drown in water, and also that they cant fly is this info correct

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I was told moscovy ducks arnt really ducks and that they will drown in water, and also that they cant fly is this info correct
No, it's not correct. They can swim and fly very well.

They are a different species of duck. They will cross with other breeds of duck, but the offspring are 'mules' and are sterile.

Muscovies are either a love'em or hate'em duck. I personally don't like them, but there are a lot of folks who adore them. It's all a matter of taste and opinion.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
they are not technically ducks, they are water birds from south america, "patos". they are like donkeys and horses, same family different species. they will cross with regular ducks. they fly readily and often perch in trees or will perch in rafters of your barn, if available. They and are not as cold hardy nor as water hardy as north american ducks and can indeed drown if thoroughly soaked and not allowed to dry off. They swim very well and unless they have no place to shelter in storms in colder areas this is not so much an issue. they grow faster and get larger than north american ducks and are the meat bird of choice for productivity. they are great brooders, great parents and successfully raise up to a dozen young at a time. I think they are ugly and they can be very agressive. but they definitely have their uses.

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
Muscovies are incredibly lazy. Over time they don't wash their feathers and they sink lower and lower into the water. I've never seen one drown but then I guess I wouldn't - but I've seen them sitting pretty low in the water, well below the line. :D:

And dey cute cranky! shame on you!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Im not 100% sure but I dont believe they migrate. Maybe that was what was meant by not fluing. They definately can outfly a Pekin, but not by much.

One major advatage as a food sourse post shtf, they dont make much noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
maybe he needs some PETA friends....people eating tasty animals. Muskovys are the best eating water bird, easy to breed, but not too pretty, and often ill tempered.
Raised many many birds, and the muskovy are even better than Peking duck!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Sometimes city parks have them (dropped off) and want them gone. I got two muscoveys, 2 geese and a hen duck from ours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts